Primo 1.2 hangs when editing a route   

Primo 1.2 hangs when editing a route

Postby hairydog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm getting good results with the latest version of Primo 1.2 but as often as not it hangs if I try to remove a stop from a planned route. Restart the device and go straight into Edit Route and I can usually remove the stop.

I think this is due to memory allocation, but I really don't understand the parameters in the [debug] part of sys.txt. Initially there was nothing about memory there, so I put in some values which made no real difference.

Please can someone explain what the memory allocation lines mean and how to use them?
hairydog offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 pm

How much total Program Memory (usable RAM) does your unit have?
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby hairydog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:29 am

It is a 128MB unit, but how much of that is actually useable I'm not sure of. Is there a utility I could run to find that out?
hairydog offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 am

hairydog wrote:It is a 128MB unit

That should be plenty to do most anything in Primo 1.2 without problems (unless you have something big running in the background that is utilizing a lot of memory).
I have never seen or experienced the problem you describe--I also run 1.2 on a 128MB device--and I doubt that tweaking any memory allocation settings in sys.txt will do you any good.
On your unit, do you have access to the underlying WinCE OS? Do you know what version of WinCE is installed--it's probably either 5 or 6?
You could run this small utility to find out some information:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?6289-WinCE-Device-Information.&highlight=WinCE+Device+Information
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby hairydog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:27 pm

That's really useful, thanks. It reports:
Screen res 800 x 480
Windows CE 6
Free / Total memory available 83129 KB / 97616KB

I wonder what is using memory?
hairydog offline

Postby nabi » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Windows is ;)
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm

hairydog wrote:That's really useful, thanks.

Thank Fatboyfun--it's his app!
hairydog wrote:I wonder what is using memory?

I would need to know a bit more about your device to know specifically--if it is running any multimedia (like an in-dash unit, etc).
But as [color="lime"]nabi[/color] said, Windows itself will always take a chunk. WinCE 6 a bit more than others.
Another possibility (happens more than most know) is that something is inherently wrong with your Primo install. Without knowing the source--there are good working and bad screwed up versions around-- it may only be a guess. But a download of a good working version from here might be a reasonable experiment if all else fails.

PS. It would be a good idea if you "Un-Guested" yourself and registered here. Additional benefits include notification of replies to your threads among other stuff.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:16 am

When it hangs is there any response? ie, screen tap sound, hardware button acknowledgement, or is it completely frozen?

It may be a corrupted install or a problem with the Windows core or a background process causing the processor to get stuck in a loop.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby hairydog » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 am

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Thank Fatboyfun--it's his app!

I would need to know a bit more about your device to know specifically--if it is running any multimedia (like an in-dash unit, etc).

Another possibility (happens more than most know) is that something is inherently wrong with your Primo install. Without knowing the source--there are good working and bad screwed up versions around-- it may only be a guess. But a download of a good working version from here might be a reasonable experiment if all else fails.

PS. It would be a good idea if you "Un-Guested" yourself and registered here. Additional benefits include notification of replies to your threads among other stuff.

Well, it is in in-dash unit, running radio etc. The Primo install is from one uploaded here as good, but as ever, I had to add bits to get everything working.

I don't have any idea how to unguest myself. The web page says I am logged in. What more can I do, other than log in?
hairydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:06 am

Unfortunately your registration may have coincided with a database error, There is nothing that can be done other than registering again with a different username.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:13 am

I wasn't going to join in the thread here however, just know that ALL MY programs are top-notch even if I say-so myself.

EDIT: As for the hanging up, it has to do with the "save" folder. The save folder becomes predominant when starting the program. It goes into memory. That is why you sometimes can't change an edit until you re-start. This is true in most cases.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby hairydog » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:When it hangs is there any response? ie, screen tap sound, hardware button acknowledgement, or is it completely frozen?

It may be a corrupted install or a problem with the Windows core or a background process causing the processor to get stuck in a loop.

I think it is hanging pretty comprehensively, so the best way out is to power cycle, but sometimes either a hardware button or (more likely) a remote control button press will get out of the nav app. But it is so inconsistent that it is hard to be sure. Sometimes you can edit the route in the same circumstances and it works perfectly.
hairydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Here's what i would do...

1, Backup entire Primo folder then delete the save folder, Then re-setup and test again...
2, If problem still exists, remove all content except one map of your region, Also disable any skins, and only use a normal voice, ie not TTS, The idea is to use as minimal resources as possible, Delete save folder again and test...
3, If problem still exists, start again and download a fresh copy of everything, start with only one map and test, if ok add in content one item at a time, testing in-between.
4, If problem still exists then there must be something on the device causing conflict, a background process or a problem with the ROM.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core