Primo 2.4 diMka skin: Timing voice for turn direction   

Primo 2.4 diMka skin: Timing voice for turn direction

Postby Shape » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 am

Hello,

I'm not very experienced with IGO software, but I did manage to install Primo 2.4 on a chinese 2din radio (Wince 6) with a diMka skin.
The device has -i believe- 512 mb internal memory. The resolution is 800*480.

Primo and the diMka skin work fine thus far, but it does have some minor "faults".
One of them is the (voice) turn direction when i'm on the freeway.
In most cases the voice direction comes before i have to make a turn. But when i'm on the freeway, the voice direction comes when i should be driving on the freeway exit.
Sometimes this causes "nice manoeuvrings" on the freeway which my girlfriend, kids and fellow car-drivers do not seem to like. :D

I've searched this forum, in the sys.txt, the system.ini and in the settings of Primo but cannot find anything to change the setting, to get the freeway exits pronounced earlier.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks for input.

Greetings, Shape
Shape offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Have you tried using only the default skin?
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Shape » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 pm

chas521 wrote:Have you tried using only the default skin?

hello chas521. I did try the default skin.
The default skin does not support speedcam warning so i installed the dimka skin.
I do not recall having problems with the default skin but i do not know for sure.
Shape offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:09 am

Of course the default skin supports speedcams. In fact, it's not the default skin that supports speedcams but the program itself. It's necessary to have the correct files in content\speedcam. You start with a .txt file only and let iGO create the files it needs from the .txt. Then in settings you select to have the speedcam warning audio and/or visual. You need a satellite lock first to see the setting option.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby furat52 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 am

try to go to settings\sound and warnings\warning sign alerts, and check the box of warning sign alerts, then curves and corners and change the warning distance to whatever you like then go back to lanes and overtaking and do the same, and so on all other catagories.
furat52 offline

Postby Shape » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:13 am

well i have tried a lot of options and the program did convert the txt files but no sound came when a (known) speedcam was near. i did find the options you are refering to but no sound came. only untill i installed the dimka skin.
wich version are you running? perhaps i need to configure another version and try that one
Shape offline

Postby Shape » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 am

furat52 wrote:try to go to settings\sound and warnings\warning sign alerts, and check the box of warning sign alerts, then curves and corners and change the warning distance to whatever you like then go back to lanes and overtaking and do the same, and so on all other catagories.

thanks. i will try
Shape offline

Postby newsguy99 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:17 am

The reason that its 'late' with lane changes and stuff, is because the processor in those units are so slow.. You'll also see a small DOT, behind your arrow/car... That DOT, is really where you are on the road, and you'll notice, the more stuff you turn on, the more laggy it becomes.

2d mode helps a lot, but you loose your buildings... Turning off Menu Animations also helps a bunch.
newsguy99 offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am

Shape wrote:well i have tried a lot of options and the program did convert the txt files but no sound came when a (known) speedcam was near. i did find the options you are refering to but no sound came. only until i installed the dimka skin.
wich version are you running? perhaps i need to configure another version and try that one

Take a look at my signature line. I have multi iGO programs on my device. ALL my iGO programs announce and visually show speedcams [red light cameras in my case]. Primo has no additional skin. Amigo with the freddysam skin. Igo8 has the Kikker skin which has nothing to do with speedcams. If you are using iGO8 and are using another language other than English, read here [post #2:] http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011&p=110632#post110632

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Shape » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 pm

furat52 wrote:try to go to settings\sound and warnings\warning sign alerts, and check the box of warning sign alerts, then curves and corners and change the warning distance to whatever you like then go back to lanes and overtaking and do the same, and so on all other catagories.

made some changes but could not find the exact options you are refering too. going on a 2 day holiday tomorrow so will see if it works
Shape offline

Postby Shape » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:00 pm

newsguy99 wrote:The reason that its 'late' with lane changes and stuff, is because the processor in those units are so slow.. You'll also see a small DOT, behind your arrow/car... That DOT, is really where you are on the road, and you'll notice, the more stuff you turn on, the more laggy it becomes.

2d mode helps a lot, but you loose your buildings... Turning off Menu Animations also helps a bunch.

i do not think this is a processor speed problem.
for one it only occurs on the freeway and second it has a 1 ghz samsung processor (see [Please Register or Login to download file] )
i could however turn of the animation and see whats going to happen. going on a little vacation so perfect time to test.
Shape offline

Postby Shape » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 pm

chas521 wrote:Take a look at my signature line. I have multi iGO programs on my device. ALL my iGO programs announce and visually show speedcams [red light cameras in my case]. Primo has no additional skin. Amigo with the freddysam skin. Igo8 has the Kikker skin which has nothing to do with speedcams. If you are using iGO8 and are using another language other than English, read here [post #2:] http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011&p=110632#post110632

visiting on mobile device so cannot see signature line. will see on my computer when i get back. primo 2.4 has a supported skin which was made for the igo8. dimka supports primo 2.4 but only on 800*480. maybe the skin interupts the program.

i have three options i can test, the last one is seeing your signature for another igo program.
will get back with findings
Shape offline

Postby Shape » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Just came back from a short holiday.
The problem that I am experiencing, is that sometimes the voice direction comes late when I am on the freeway. It announces the freeway exit too late.

First i've tried the “settings\sound and warnings\warning sign alerts” option offered by Furat52. Although I could not find the exact settings Furat52 referred to (curves and corners and lanes and overtaking), I did find an option in the “settings/sound” and then the “advanced settings”. Although I have the dutch version installed I believe the setting to be something like “announce distance to next maneuver”.
The option does work fine in somehow getting my attention to look on the screen and take the (next) freeway exit when I had to.
I do not believe it solves the real problem that I have. Sometimes when I was on the freeway exit, it announces the exit like I still had to drive a 100 meters to get there.

Perhaps this is an indication that the GPS system cannot follow me correctly. I’ve noticed that some speedcam warnings are also “late” (and changing the warning distance setting is prohibited !).

Then the second option that Newsguy99 offered.
I did not notice the small dot on the screen, nor do I have the impression that my car unit is slow. I specifically tested it and it responds quite well. Switching from radio to mp3 or navigation goes quite fast. When I found the Menu Animation, I saw that it was related to the diMka skin I have installed. I turned it off, and indeed (after a restart) the diMka skin was disabled. I have quite some preferences set to my personal likings in the diMka skin, and seeing that I was in a foreign country, and on a short vacation with girlfriend and kids I did not want “to mess things up” and turned the Menu Animations back on.

In conclusion: I probably have to configure a new IGO program.
When starting up the navigation, it sometimes takes a minute when the IGO has a satellite lock (this used to be a lot faster). It had a minimum of five satellites and during driving it went up to around 8 or 9 satellites. So the signal is not the problem, but the program interpreting my location probably is. And this is leading me back that maybe the program is too big for the processor. In the city the navigation works great, but on the freeway we drive a lot faster. I’m thinking that the program “cannot keep up” with me on the freeway.
When I was on the freeway exit, it announces the exit like I still had to drive a 100 meters to get there. And the program is probably right! The actual exit is around 100 meters in front of me, but we have to drive on the exit lane to get to the actual freeway exit. I’m thinking that the Primo 2.4 announces the exit itself and not the (exit) lane (which I would prefer).

33.3 meters per second equals 120 km/ph (which I was driving). It means that I have about 3 seconds (100/33.3) to respond to a freeway exit (and not an exit lane)! I really prefer to hear about 6 seconds in advance when I should be on a exit lane which leads to the actual (freeway) exit. For me this is a reason to try another IGO program.

@Chas521
Do you have a preference for an IGO version (with or without skin)?
Shape offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:30 pm

I don't really use Primo. I don't care for it. I use iGO8 pretty exclusively.
http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core