Primo 2 crashing after several hours use   

Primo 2 crashing after several hours use

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi all,

I have a chinese unit WinCE 6 and 64MB ram, one of the common ones from e-bay.

I've installed Yurbah Tuggleys Primo 2 distribution, with GkAK 1.08 UX skin, the standard TTS Pro voices supplied with the distruibution.

After several hours use, it varies how long and I can't see anything that in particular causes it, i get an error "the application has encountered a serious problem and has to close" then if I try to restart It either crashes on the loading screen or runs for a few minutes then crashes again.

Sys.txt is standard apart from the added line:

[naviextras]
boot_service_address="http://zippy.naviextras.com/services/index/rest/1"

to stop the can't find server error coming up.

I suspect the first thing to test is if I'm running out of memory, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Is there any utility to test this?

As it takes so long for the crash to occur it takes ages to disable bits and see if it works so I'm looking for any ideas to find out whats going wrong.
Smeagol offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Did you try selecting a non tts voice? that will save quite a bit of memory.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 pm

It;s something I'm trying but as it can take several hours, 9 or 10 for the last one, before the crash occurs I'm trying to find a way to check where the problem lies without changing something and waiting for the crash.

Yesterday I had a complicated route loaded, 26 waypoints, and it worked perfectly all day ( about 9 hours riding ) then I used it today with just a single destination input and it crashed after about 40 minutes!

just to add I have tried re-downloading the torrent to check it wasn't a poor download and the same thing happens
Smeagol offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Perhaps the device is overheating in certain conditions?
I once got the same error after accidentally leaving the device in a hot car on a hot day. It has not happened since.

If it was the software alone, probably many more people might have mentioned it, so I tend to think that the hardware may also be involved.

Or, keep in mind that you have a 64MB device where 128 is recommended for all extended features (TTS, 3d effects, etc) to function correctly....which could lead to memory errors that may appear erratically depending on too many variables to nail down.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm

I think I can rule out overheating, it's something I considered, as for 9 hours yesterday the unit was sealed in a weather proof bag on my bike and functioned properly. Today it was mounted in the car and crashed within 40 minutes.

I didn't think it was your distribution YT as it's so popular, as you say it would have been reported by now.

If I can't see what the memory is doing, and I don't want to loose TTS (I really need it on the bike as it's difficult to see the screen so I rely on voice instructions). I don't want to loose speedcams (i only have UK loaded) I could drop the DEM file, but it would be really nice to keep it. I don't use landmarks or 3d buildings.

Does POI visibility have much effect on memory usage?
Smeagol offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Dem files do use a lot of memory, might be worth removing it for a couple of days.

I don't imagine poi visibility would impact memory too much, start with the big memory hogs first.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby catsmokey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 pm

hi
it may be related to ur speedcams taking up a lot of memory when are in a heavily contolled area.
&/or also i think you can put something into systxt to limit the amt of memory being used at anyone time by your device
catsmikey
Primo 1.1 [GJA_Dafunk 2.23 with Truck Scheme] on ViaMichelin X-980T [unlocked by VIMORO] ~[/font][size=85] [size=50]Pro: 416 MHz ~ Mem: 64 MB RAM/ 256 MB ROM ~ OS: WinCE.net[/size] 5[/size][/font]
catsmokey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about iGO core