Primo 1.2 and its issues   

Primo 1.2 and its issues

Postby nabi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I 'borrowed' this post from elsewhere because it explains some of Primo 1.2's issues. And because it explains the why oh so good!

A PDA is a hand held device, ie the organizer/software part of a smart phone or an organizer only such as the old HP iPaq series. These run the full (more complete) version of Windows Mobile. Various versions of WM have been available from WM2002, WM2003, WM5, WM 6 and WM6.5

PNA's are also handheld devices but tend to be 'dedicated' to a specific funtion like the Uniden/Tom Tom/Garmin GPS units. They also run a variety of software platforms. Again various versions have been available from WinCE4, WinCE5 and WinCE6. THe Tom Tom and Garmin units use a form of embedded Linux though so they can't be mad to run iGO at this time. The Unidens, Navmans, Mios, Medion and most Chinese units run a version of WinCE.

The main difference is usually in the hardware itself with different CPU's and display resolutions with many PDA type devices being 800x480, 640x480 and 320x240. Windows Mobile is a more complete package as the unit is designed to run a range of software. They also usually have more hardware buttons and features.

With PNAs the most common resolution is now 480x272 but others include 320x240, 400x240, 416x240,480x234 and 800x480. The WinCE versions supplied are usually tailored to suit the application they ship with and thus many WinCE dll's and fonts etc are simply left out. Some don't even have an explorer.exe!

Thus NNG who write the iGO software tend to produce two distinct versions, one designed to run on a PNA and one on PDA due to differences in the underlying hardware and software architectures. The versions available on many websites are usually acquired from specific PNA units and hen modded/cracked to run on anything. But this can lead to some versions running better on some units than others and this varies from version to version.

A classic case is the current issues many people are having with Primo 1.2 on HTC2 devices. these are PDA devices and the current available version came from a PNA and does not seem to work well on PDA devices. The next version may be different.

I hope this helps.

Megaduck99

Thanks Megaduck99!!

:thumbup::thumbup:
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about iGO core