poi bitmaps   

poi bitmaps

Postby scarey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:14 am

is there any way of associating a bmp with a set of pois , like a mcdonalds logo when you come across one on the map..
scarey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:01 pm

scarey wrote:is there any way of associating a bmp with a set of pois , like a mcdonalds logo when you come across one on the map..

What about here:
[Please Register or Login to download file]
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby scarey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 pm

done that chas , loaded the branding.zip but there doesnt seem to be a way to associate the bmps with the poi...
scarey offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:25 pm

scarey wrote:done that chas , loaded the branding.zip but there doesnt seem to be a way to associate the bmps with the poi...

I recall from the old site that Xtyler92 created a branding.zip for iGO8. I don't have access to it anymore but if he still does maybe he can help you more.

EDIT: I know there is a way to associate .bmp with POI on iGO8 but I'll take a further look at Primo to see if the same can be done.

I was looking for something like "manage" but I found nothing - sorry. It may be that Primo is a much simpler program than iGO8.3 and that different options are not available any longer.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xtyler92 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:48 pm

In Primo with the original data.zip (the 480x272 one) it seems to not work. I am not sure with some of the other data.zip's for other resolutions. Reports are mixed, where some people say that the branding.zips posted work and others say they re causing error messages. I was looking into it with the hope of just adding some files from igo8 (from the branding.zip I put together for it), however it didn't work. So for now I am not sure if I will continue to try and figure it out or not. In igo8 is was pretty simple. You could just download a branding.zip that already had some signs and then just use most any picture editing software to just copy the .bmp over one of the existing images. The images were on a strip, so it was a pretty simple process. I think I started with a barnding.zip posted at wordpress and then just borrowed the pieces the original maker made and put them in my branding.zip. Then I downloaded a bunch of .bmp images and just copied and pasted adding whatever signs I wanted. I still use it in igo8 and actually like seeing the signs over the generic icons.... just makes knowing what POI is what much easier. I would have thought that Primo would have had the same abilities, however it seems more like Amigo where it won't work... or at least not with the current branding and data.zip's. Shame since if FS had a part in Primo I would have thought that would have been one of the major things that he would have suggested. Perhaps future releases will determine which type of data and branding.zip's will be standard for Primo. As of right now, we need to remember that what we have is only the beginning. Perhaps NNG will realize that the 480x272 data.zip and branding.zip is not the best way for Primo and future releases might take a turn that makes skinning and using other resolutions much easier. If so, perhaps they will have it setup more like igo8 and we will then be able to alter the branding.zip more easily and use different icons for the POI's. LOL, as I type this I am now motivated to look into it again and see if maybe I can get it to work.... OK, it's once again on my list of things to do. I'll take a look at a dissected branding.zip from the original files and see if I can alter them. I'll hopefully be able to post some success here next week sometime.
xtyler92 offline

Postby scarey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:19 am

cheers for that mate, looks like more sleepless nights for you trying to figure this one out..lol....its not a great hardship having the oe icons but it would be nice to start licking your lips when you see a mcd's icon getting nearer on the map...
scarey offline

Postby xtyler92 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:37 pm

scarey wrote:cheers for that mate, looks like more sleepless nights for you trying to figure this one out..lol....its not a great hardship having the oe icons but it would be nice to start licking your lips when you see a mcd's icon getting nearer on the map...

I agree.... it is one of the things I like best about igo8. Saves trying to tap the icon on the screen to figure out what the POI is. Since tomorrow is my last day of work before summer vacation, my hope is to get started on all that on Sunday. I have some plans on Saturday, otherwise I would start sooner.
xtyler92 offline

Postby Jagg » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:49 pm

I use this branding.zip for primo and my poi-icons for gas stations (Shell, OMV, .... ) are pretty brand icons. So this branding.zip could be a help for I hope....

[Please Register or Login to download file]
Jagg offline

Postby xtyler92 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:18 pm

I think I have that one already.... it didn't work for me. Although I didn't give it a real shot.... like 2 minutes when I saw it posted in the other forum.

Quick question, maybe I am just tired or maybe just not smart enough to find it, but where in the Primo menu can you choose which POI icon is being used? I have looked all over the menus and just can't find that option with the default skin. Even if I manage to get the branding icons into the branding.zip, it will all be for nothing if I cannot find a place within the menu to change or choose which POI icon I want to use for each POI.
xtyler92 offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:22 pm

xtyler92 wrote:I think I have that one already.... it didn't work for me. Although I didn't give it a real shot.... like 2 minutes when I saw it posted in the other forum.

Quick question, maybe I am just tired or maybe just not smart enough to find it, but where in the Primo menu can you choose which POI icon is being used? I have looked all over the menus and just can't find that option with the default skin. Even if I manage to get the branding icons into the branding.zip, it will all be for nothing if I cannot find a place within the menu to change or choose which POI icon I want to use for each POI.

You're right. I can't find it either. In iGO there was "manage" but not in Primo. That's one of the things they need to add.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby bibty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:18 pm

I think I figured it out but not as easy as IGO8. The poi.icon text file in branding is sort of a pointer to the specific icon. For example for McDonalds I have a poi_fast_food.bmp file in common of the branding.zip. The specific icon is the first i.e. at the top of the list of the poi_fast_food.bmp file. To link to McDonalds POIs to that icon, I needed to edit poi.icon to include the following:

[Restaurant.Fast_Food.McDonald_s]
$poi_mapdistant.bmp
$poi_fast_food.spr 0
$poi_fast_food.spr 0

The "0" means the first entry in the list. If it was th 2nd the number would be "1" and so on. The bracketed entry is the category from my POIs. In this case Fast_Food is the "Fast Food" subcategory of "Restaurant".

So what I did was edit that poi_fast_food.bmp file and kept adding brand icons. I then listed pointers in the poi.icon file. For example I have another entry as follows:

[Shopping.Shop.Kohl_s]
$poi_mapdistant.bmp
$poi_fast_food.spr 13
$poi_fast_food.spr 13

Good Luck!!
bibty offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core