Out of memory error   

Out of memory error

Postby jhanratt » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 am

I am working with a Deal Extreme Sku 37914 Wince 6 500mhz with 4 gig internal memory.
I have ordered 4 of these in the past for co-workers and I just ordered another 3.

The newest ones arrived without Canadian Maps and without POI. This is substantially different from previous models. I used the links on your site to download Navtech and Teleatlas maps of North America. THANK YOU!!

I removed the maps the unit was shipped with and put in the new maps but when I deleted the POI files the unit was shipped with and replaced it with the POI I downloaded the unit stopped working and displayed the following in IGO 8:

Out of memory
Requested: -1237049202
Cache: 81292

The system resources area provides the following:

Memory
Total Memory 131072 KB
Available Memory 90764 KB

Flash Status
Total Space 3624MB
Free Space 1526MB
Used Space 2098 MB

That should still be lots shouldn't it?
Any ideas or do I have to go with less than North America?

Thanks
jhanratt offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm

WinCE out of memory errors sometimes have nothing to do with actual memory but the way Windows loads dlls. Have you tried using the content from the first four devices on the latest three?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Most of the time, memory errors occur because too much content is trying to load at the start. You can safely remove all .dem files, you can safely remove the building file, your speedcam file is too large so you might have to reduce the area or delete it entirely, your device might not be able to handle TTS so you might have to use a non-TTS voice, you might be trying to load too many maps, etc.

Is there a way for you to increase the memory allocated?

These are just some ideas. Just remember to back up any files/folders that you delete or edit first.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

out of memory error

Postby jhanratt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:06 am

I am loading the "new device" with the "old" software as I type this. I will report back on the results. I think it will work just fine but I was hoping the use the "new" software because it looks a littler nicer on the map screens, and it loads the road names right on the roads and is easier to read.

Neither device came loaded with DEM files and the new device doesn't have any POI files.

Thanks again.

Jeff
jhanratt offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:07 am

If you are talking about iGO 8.3, a simple sys.txt entry puts the names of the roads in the streets:

[3d_config]
disable_roadsign_navigation_mode=1 ;=0 balloon =1 in street

Don't forget to save the sys.txt before exiting.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby miomoshe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 am

try this settings in sys.txt:

[debug]

cache=2048
reserve_memory=1500000
miomoshe offline

Postby jhanratt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks very much.

I tried loading the old software complete with Maps and POI to the new device and it works fine but the display is a bit too dark on the new devices. I am reloading the POI from the link in case one of the POI files is corrupt. I will try changing the text as reccomended and see it that works.
jhanratt offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 pm

When you try upgrading again do everything one at a time, ie, New maps first then test the unit, Next pois then test and so on...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jhanratt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried adding the system text suggested by miomoshe.

[debug]

cache=2048
reserve_memory=1500000

It didn't appear to change anything.
I tried both the old version and new version of Igo8 that the unit was shipped with and igo 8.3.4.xxx
The issue is definetly the size of the POI files I am trying to load.

If I limit the POI files that I load all three versions of the software work fine.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I changed to Primo and got caught up in making that work.

Thanks for all your help.
jhanratt offline

Postby nabi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

The extra lines in debug do help in certain cases, but they are really device dependable. Especially the number of memory is important and can differ a lot. Better than experimenting with these lines is to leave them out of sys.txt.
Mean time, some tips from another post:
1. The solution with the smallest impact on the operation of iGO: do not install a DEM-file. It has little use but needs a lot of memory. Limit also the maps you use. Why carry around 2GB of unnecessary maps?
2. Do not use speedcam warnings, therefor empty the speedcam folder, or at least, limit the speedcams to the ones you really need. Its no use for me wanting the speedcams of all Europe, always driving within a limited circle around my home.
3. Do not use TTS, but regular voices. Delete all TTS related files.
4. Do not use a large POI file.
5. Disable 3D view, (you may delete the 3dc and 3dl files too)
6. This is a bit tricky. Delete in data.zip/ui_igo8 all resolution folders that don't apply to your device. Be careful here!!
7. PNA devices do handle memory issues better. The iGO PDA builds are in fact simplified iGO releases, the most important disabled feature being TTS. Do not ask me what else is changed, but I do know that iGO PDA builds are less memory needing. So another tip could indeed be: use a PDA build (but loose TTS). I suspect the effect not being dramatically better, but hey, all little things could matter.

Another manner to solve this: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/show...install-thread

Of course I know these tips don't apply all, but maybe there is one or two that is useful after all?
By the way, before applying tip 6 make a backup first.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about iGO core