Online Traffic causing my unit to reset   

Online Traffic causing my unit to reset

Postby Skezza » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello,
I've been using Online Traffic for a fairly long time with no problems but lately it's started to cause problems.

There's a possibility this is to do with outdated maps as it keeps moaning at me about updating them, but every so often I'll be driving along with the Online Traffic enabled and it'll just cut out and restart. The only difference I've made lately is using 3G instead of WiFi. I'm fairly sure it's not the 3G causing it as I can browse and that works fine.

Could it be a loss of signal causing the software to crash or perhaps a timeout? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Skezza offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 pm

AFAIK, as long as you have the maps directly on your device, you are using the gps chip and not WiFi or a data plan. You do not have use to use a data plan to download map information from the net. I could be wrong but I don't think so. As for cutting off, does it cutoff at points when the signal might be compromised in some way?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Skezza » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:18 pm

No, I'm not talking about map information. I have the maps on the SD card. I mean when I'm using Online Traffic it cuts out. If I don't use Online Traffic, it seems on the most part to be absolutely fine.

Regarding the signal issue... yes, possibly, that is why I'm trying to find out if others have suffered similar problems.
Skezza offline

Postby Skezza » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 am

OK,

Here's the good news, I've identified the problem...

Here's the bad news, I can't see how it can be fixed.

Basically, i did some investigating, and 40% of my resources are being used by the launcher and background tasks alone. The device is only 128mb of memory (106mb), so as you can imagine that's quite a lot of memory being used. In fact, just idling, I have only have around 66mb of memory to play with... that isn't much for a program like iGo.

So, anyway, the device now offers to kill the main launcher while running iGo... voila. 3G internet works perfectly, no crashing, great...

Here's the problem:

The launcher handles everything, not just the interface. It controls access to other functions such as the Radio, the CD player, the SD card player... if I kill the launcher, then it'll work until I switch it off. If I turn the device off and back on after killing the launcher it won't reload as it only comes back with a WinCE reboot. That means all audio is lost on switching the device off and back on when launcher is killed. Not only that, audio from iGo Primo disappears when the launcher is closed, so it's quite obvious that keeping the launcher open is important. The problem is, with the launcher open the memory issues occur, so I need to close other tasks... I've attached some screenshots, so if anyone can help me with some of those tasks I can close, I'll give it a try.

I guess, the only alternative is I buy a different unit, something like the twin ROM (1 china rom, 1 wince) like the one that I used to have fitted. This one, the whole ROM is WinCE which is where the memory issues arise from :( Bad choice on my part after all.

Would a PDA memory fixed version work?

I've heard that reducing the resolution can help too?

Should I sell this and buy a new one?

If I buy a TMC + 3G model, can both TMC and Online Data work at the same time on iGo?

Tips please?

Please view the attached files :(
Skezza offline

Postby Skezza » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Anyone :'( ?
Skezza offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core