Newbie Question For Loading IGO8   

Newbie Question For Loading IGO8

Postby gsthunder » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I decided to download a copy of IGO8 off this site and install it on an SD card to see if it would solve the problems I am having with my Nav system freezing using an older version of IGO8.

I followed the How To here( http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?910-How-to-install-iGO8-from-scratch )and used the downloaded copy of IGO8 from here as everyone kept referring people to this download thread( http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011 ). Unfortunately, after doing everything that I was told to do it doesn't work. Won't auto load and I can't even bring anything up on the SD card to manually start it( says no playable files ).

I did notice my version has a LOT more stuff/files on the SD card( I don't mean maps and poi's and such )than this downloaded version. Quite a lot actually. I am wondering if some of those are required to get it to work with my head unit( Astrium GEE-0809 )? Do I need the license from my version so it will work on my device or something like that?

I am a total newb to doing this( i.e. GPS software and programming ). I will give this a try as I have been told in no uncertain terms( :rofl_mini: )that this is the only fix to my problems with my current version. I am not sure how to go about providing the info needed however to give you guys the info you need to help me? Screen shots of my SD card content or something? All I know is after following the step by step it does nothing when the card is loaded.

Thanks in advance for any help.
gsthunder offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:25 pm

What I would do is clone the original card onto a new one, be careful of hidden/system files, then replace the old application with the new one, make sure the folder and file names match exactly.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jack O'spades » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 pm

What could be simpler : http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?962-How-To-s-Tutorials-and-Tweaks&p=2453#post2453

In this case, updating an 8.3. build to another 8.3.5 March build, the data.zip and branding.zip are usually interchangeable or even the same :
first clone the SD
then find the folder where IGO is in
delete the save folder just for safety - you have to redo the settings later on startup, but loose possible license problems
delete the license folder
delete the IGO.exe (can be called different, such as IGO8.exe or even different)
copy the .exe file from the downloaded March build to the same spot as the previous .exe and - important - give it the same name
copy the license folder from the downloaded March build to the same spot as the original one
delete the file device.nng - this is the file that holds the key that combines SD, program, licenses, etc. It will be recreated.

Report back if it works please. If not, what is not likely, please tell us what is the error message or what stage the startup sequence is in.

Success
jack O'spades is the name, card games are my trade.
jack O'spades offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby gsthunder » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks to the 2 members for the responses. I will have to get on that later this week. I am tied up with work projects that need to get done. Will be a few days before I can answer back with results or problems. Just wanted to acknowledge the help.

EDIT - I should ask this now to save time later. I am very new to this stuff so I apologize if these are stupid questions.

1 - How do I "clone" the SD card? Do you just mean to copy the files and paste onto a new SD card or do you mean an actual clone of the exisiting card that copies all the protection data so it is a true clone? If so do I need specific software to do this or can Windows do it? I have never had to deal with this situation before. I could always just copy and paste the info.

2 - Is there any risk of damge to the original SD card in doing so?

This is one of those protected Transcend brand SD cards that is setup so it can't be copied I guess. I can't just copy it to another card and use that other card in my head unit I have read.

One of my major concerns is that there is no way to back this SD card up onto another SD card. If something happens to the SD card I an screwed.

Thanks.
gsthunder offline

Postby nabi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

gsthunder wrote:Unfortunately, after doing everything that I was told to do it doesn't work. Won't auto load and I can't even bring anything up on the SD card to manually start it( says no playable files ).

The path to the new exe file must EXACTLY be the same as the original path was.
Both Jack and Fatboyfun wrote this.

If the path is correct and exactly the same (watch for spaces, capitals, underscore, ... ) and iGO don't start up, then it might be the "a LOT more stuff/files on the SD card" or one of these causing this.

gsthunder wrote:I did notice my version has a LOT more stuff/files on the SD card( I don't mean maps and poi's and such )than this downloaded version. Quite a lot actually. I am wondering if some of those are required to get it to work with my head unit( Astrium GEE-0809 )? Do I need the license from my version so it will work on my device or something like that?

We can't see what "a LOT more stuff/files on the SD card"? is, so we can not tell what is needed for the device or not. The original licenses for iGO you won't need as Jack told you.

When you do need to clone the whole contents (and thus the "lots of stuff" is needed by the Astrium), in Windows Explorer, make sure you make the invisible files visible. I am not English and have no English Windows , so this is a translation "on the go" for XP because that is on the computer I am now: right click on START> explore > extra > map options > view > show hidden files.

That way you can copy (!!) all files of the original SD to the new SD - do not ever move files from the original SD ! The original can not be damaged that way but it's better you write protect it for safety as well before you do anything. Store the original in a safe place after you make a copy.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

@ gsthunder

I'm about 99%[?] sure why you're having various problems with MY iGO8. I've been following your escapades of the program in your various threads. The parking lot freeze is more or less similar to what was happening when your device was put to sleep and then asked again to wake-up when needed. When a device is at rest it loses contact with the SD card and when it becomes necessary to start using again, it has to re-establish contact with the SD card and it can either cause a delay or crash. However as you've been informed, this problem was corrected with a later version. That being said, let's attack my iGO8.

I see that you've downloaded my program. Good. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011 I don't know which link you used to download it but there should have been at least two parts. The reason there are two parts is because the upload host only will accept a maximum size for each file. Thus, I had to create two parts because the original file was too large. Both parts 1 and 2 are necessary to create the whole thing. Using "Winrar" [found here http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9394-WinRAR-4.11-Final-%2832-64-bit%29-UPDATED Look to the last post.] Download and install Winrar to your computer. Extract [correct word, look at Winrar] part 1 to a location on your computer and part 2 will automatically extract making 1 big file. Add the appropriate NH contents to the program and then copy everything to a NEW SD card. All the files/folders go into a folder called igo8. MAKE SURE YOU READ MY EDITS IN THE THREAD.

What you did [I think] is to copy ONLY part 1 to the SD card because you thought it was complete. Now you know differently. As everyone else has told you make sure that the files are named exactly what your old iGO files were named. You probably need to change the .exe only and nothing else. In fact, just do the .exe only.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby gsthunder » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Just a quick update...

I still haven't had a chance to do this due to work and weather( blizzard yesterday and into this AM to deal with ). I plan on getting to it asap but it is being delayed for another reason.

I was actually contacted by the seller yesterday who has been trying to help me with this. They were aware of the issue I was having and told me NNG was working on it. They even sent an older version of IGO( actually IGO 8.3.4.117940 not the 2006 era MyWay as I 1st thought )to me previously that worked without freeze up( no sound though and I didn't care for it as well ). Well, I guess NNG just came out with a fix for my oriiginal version and the seller wants the original SD card back and they will send me a new one without the problems.

Before I attempt the steps here I want to have that new SD card here in case we need to reference the programming on it to make the new SD card work. I still want to do a new SD card with a different version of IGO8 so I can keep the original safe. I don't like this not being able to copy them stuff. I understand the reasons why the mfg does it but it screws the user if the card ever fails or gets lost.

So please bear with me a while longer. As soon as I get that new SD card I wiill do this.

Thanks again for the help. It "IS" appreciated!
gsthunder offline

Postby nabi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for the update
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby gsthunder » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 am

Still waiting on the new SD card. Haven't forgot about this. I think the Post Office has gone back to using the Pony Express on things sent to and from Canada now.
gsthunder offline

Postby gsthunder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

The new SD card finally arrived today. I will get to making a new card using the links for info and the iGo downloads in this forum hopefully in the next day or so and post up the results or requests for help.

The new SD card I just got is a different brand and has less storage but the software is still version 8.3.5.151770. I was expecting a newer version. They did say it was a flaw on the SD card however so they must have literally meant the SD card itself was the problem? We will see. I am testing it later then I will do a whole new setup using the info/resources here.

Thanks to all for the offer of help.
gsthunder offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Did you get a new SD card from the seller? When I said a new SD card, I meant a BLANK new SD card from a store. If you put the new SD card with the program into your device, does the program come up? Back up the SD card to your computer first, then re-format it and then follow my instructions above.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby gsthunder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm

chas521 wrote:Did you get a new SD card from the seller? When I said a new SD card, I meant a BLANK new SD card from a store. If you put the new SD card with the program into your device, does the program come up? Back up the SD card to your computer first, then re-format it and then follow my instructions above.

No no. I am not going to use the SD card from the seller. That is a new one, complete with a "fixed" iGo 8.3.5.151770 on it, they sent me to replace the defective one that came with the radio( had to send my original one back ). I paid a lot for the radio and I am making them get me a working version of the nav software. Anything else is unacceptable.

I have a blank SD card I got from the store I am going to do your iGo version on to have either as a backup or to use as my main nav software( and make the one I just got the backup ). I just wanted to wait for this new SD card to be here as I believe I am going to need files off it to make this one work. There are a lot of extra files on it that I think I may need for it to work with the radio properly.

Sorry for the confusion. I am not going to do anything with the SD card they just sent as it seems to work right( finally )in early testing without the freeze up issues the other one had. I still want to do this with the resources from this site so I have a fully functional 2nd SD card.
gsthunder offline

Postby gsthunder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I thought to save time I would add some info here on how my SD card is set up. Maybe seeing what I have will help people to help me get a working SD card for my radio using chas521's software.

This is what you get when you open the SD card up. I believe this is the file everyone says to title IGO8 but I need it to be titled navigation correct? I believe it needs that title so when the radio boots up and when I press the NAV key on the radio it knows what file on the hard drive to open...

[Please Register or Login to download file]

This is what it looks like when you open the navigation file. Quite a lot of stuff and I am not sure what things I will need to make chas521's version work properly? I assume I only need the english language files and not all the other ones...

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you need screen shots of any of the other file folders or sys.txt files let me know. Thanks.
gsthunder offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:50 am

Just do this to the blank SD card. Create a folder called navigation and copy/paste MY files/folders from the download to it. Take a look at their sys.txt and see if there are any entries in it that are your device specific only. Nothing more.

It also appears that you have to rename MY .exe from igo8 to igo.

What is your device resolution? If it is 800_480 make sure you see my edit regarding the sys.txt change you must make. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011 edit4

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby gsthunder » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm

chas521 wrote:Just do this to the blank SD card. Create a folder called navigation and copy/paste MY files/folders from the download to it. Take a look at their sys.txt and see if there are any entries in it that are your device specific only. Nothing more.

It also appears that you have to rename MY .exe from igo8 to igo.

What is your device resolution? If it is 800_480 make sure you see my edit regarding the sys.txt change you must make. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011 edit4

Thanks. Will try this. Yes, my resolution is 800_480.

EDIT - just tried to start on this but am running into a problem. Only one of the download links in your thread is working for part 2. I have downloaded it with no issues( 142 MB and 160 files )but when I try and extract the files it keeps crashing at 86% telling me the file is corrupted or files are missing( picnic version of part 2 ). No problems with part 1. Have tried downloading it 4X's with the same results. I can not proceed.

EDIT 2 - one of the others is working now???? Am trying it with part 1 and 2 from there.

EDIT 3 - no good. The other links that work just get you to download some software and not the rar files( household ). I am unable to proceed.
gsthunder offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core