Need NavTeq maps for iGO Primo   

Need NavTeq maps for iGO Primo

Postby barrys » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:48 am

I have what I think will be a working iGO primo image for the hardware I'm looking at.
But, the maps are from Europe. I can only find NavTeq maps with the .map extension, not the .fbl extension I see in the content/maps folders of the iGO filesystems.
Does this mean I just have the wrong maps, or do I just need to change the file extensions?
barrys offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:03 am

Igo/Primo needs *.fbl map files. Files with the extension .map are for something else (Ozi Explorer??--not sure).
So you are looking for maps for something other than Europe? What region?

USA/Canada Navteq Maps are here:
2010 Q4 Navteq USA-Can

Newer Teleatlas maps are here:
2011 Q1 Teleatlas USA-Can

Some people say Navteq is better for USA.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby barrys » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks Yurbah Tuggly,
I'm tryiing to transplant usa maps in the setup from luramone on this post:

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?7360-iGo-Primo-v9.2-Europe-for-ERISIN-2DIN-CAR-DVD-WinCe-6&highlight=erisin

I think I have good teleatlas maps. I got them from here:
iGO8 R3 TeleAtlas 2010.09 N.A.(Canada+Mexico+USA)
Requirements: iGO8.3,8.4...Primo,MyWay
Operating System: WinCE, WinMob, Android, iPhone
Updated maps and up-to-date points of interest for North America.
North America 2010.09 maps + Premium POI + 2009.09 Buildings+speedcams

and another set with the same non-map files and a set of newer TomTom fbl maps which I think you just sent the link to.

I'm guessing that one of those should work.

I've got the Navteq maps downloading now. Thanks so much for that link.
barrys offline

Postby nabi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:34 am

Just a reminder: TomTom has bought TeleAtlas a few years back, therefor TeleAtlas maps are now called "TomTom maps for iGO".

IGO uses the extension .fbl
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby chrivision » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:18 am

thanks...................................
chrivision offline

Postby sifuconman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am

Where can I download the Singapore and Malaysian map and poi ?
sifuconman offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:52 am

Just a reminder that we have a request thread where you can ask for links to maps here...

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?7346-REQUEST-Make-your-requests-for-iGO-and-Primo-here
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby barrys » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I was just curious about how the system knows which maps to pick at any given moment...
Is there some metadata file that tells the system which map files to look in corresponding to the coordinates the GPS is finding. Or, do the map files themselves have some kind of header that give the bounds of the lat/lon area that the particular map files cover and the system uses that information to "map to the maps?"
barrys offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I would imagine that the maps have a header with the coordinates listed that the particular map covers, All the maps are parsed for this info when the app starts up, The software just matches the current coordinates to whichever map covers the area.

I may be wrong of course...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby barrys » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 am

> I may be wrong of course...
The sad story of my life...

I think those NavTeq maps are going to work which is sooo cool. A couple of questions:
1. What's an ".hnr" file?
2. In the navteq bundle, everything -- poi, fbl, etc. was in one folder called "maps." When moving these to the subfolders of contents, should I just put everything in contents/maps or should I try to figure out what file types go in which subfolders -- like poi, fbl, and hnr.
barrys offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:00 am

barrys wrote:1. What's an ".hnr" file?
2. In the navteq bundle, everything -- poi, fbl, etc. was in one folder called "maps." When moving these to the subfolders of contents, should I just put everything in contents/maps or should I try to figure out what file types go in which subfolders -- like poi, fbl, and hnr.

1) HNR files are "intelligent route" files. If you plan a route that 'qualifies', the HNR files kick in to provide the best pre-determined route. The files go in the same folder as the map (FBL) files. Igo Primo only. The only caveat is that, for HNR files to be functional, ALL map files for that region, ie all of North America for example, must be present in the map folder. Otherwise, they are just wasting space.

2) POI files go in Content/POI, building files (3DC-3DL) in Content/Building, DEM files in Content/DEM, PH files in Content/phoneme, FDA files (Navteq maps only) go in the same folder as map files, HSP files (if available) go in Content/histspeed.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby barrys » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:51 am

Nice one Yurvah Tuggly -- information I really needed.

The Navteq map set that I just got has only maps (fbl), points of interest (poi), and the hnr files.
I don't have any of these with the navteq maps:
> building files, DEM files in Content/DEM, PH files in Content/phoneme, FDA files (Navteq maps only) go in the same folder as map files

Does the fact that I don't have these other files cause any problems? Can I mix and match Navteq maps and the other files from the tela-atlas bundle? It doesn't sound safe, but worth asking.
barrys offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:15 am

barrys wrote:I don't have any of these with the navteq maps:
> building files, DEM files in Content/DEM, PH files in Content/phoneme, FDA files (Navteq maps only) go in the same folder as map files

[color="red"]Does the fact that I don't have these other files cause any problems?[/color] Can I mix and match Navteq maps and the other files from the tela-atlas bundle? It doesn't sound safe, but worth asking.

[color="red"]No, No problems will occur.[/color] You will just be missing a few advanced 3D View effects without Building and DEM files. As a result, your system may run a bit faster than those that do. ;-)
FDA files are Driver Alert ("Railroad crossing ahead", "No left turn", etc) files strictly for Navteq Maps and for use with TTS Voices. Without them, you just won't get such alerts.
Phoneme files are regional dialect 'helper' files for TTS pronunciation. You will probably never miss them.

I have read that POI files can be mixed together (Navteq and Teleatlas/TomTom) in the same folder, but I personally do not do this, nor have I tried.
In general, other types of files should not be mixed as they are map specific. Never mix Navteq Map files with Teleatlas Map files for the same region in the same folder. Bad things will happen.
If you want to be able to use both Navteq and Teleatlas/TomTom maps, and choose between them (also optionally switching POI files at the same time), then you need to install and configure a MapChanger utility like one that comes with various skins.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby barrys » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 am

I think the 3d building effects would just make me nauseous. It would be cool to have the 3d lane assist which I think exists on iGO Primo. But, we'll see. Speaking of which there anything special in the contents folders that enables the lane assist features? That can really be handy.
barrys offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 am

barrys wrote:It would be cool to have the 3d lane assist which I think exists on iGO Primo. But, we'll see. Speaking of which there anything special in the contents folders that enables the lane assist features? That can really be handy.

If the Lane Assist is available (depending on map and area), it will appear automatically in 3D Map View. Nothing special is needed.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core