Need help with loading buildings   

Need help with loading buildings

Postby glinx1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:29 am

I just installed an Eonon 5150 in my BMW and loaded it with Igo Primo 2.4. My computer saviness isn't high up on the charts but after a few trials and errors I managed to get Igo working. Only thing is I'm not getting the buildings showing on my map. I downloaded the building file but when I go through my system to set the path and open the Building directory, nothing shows. But when i look at the directory on my computer I see the file I downloaded under "Building". Does anyone have any idea what to do?
glinx1 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:35 am

The building files are mostly incomplete and only cover major city centres.

And installation is just a case of copying the file to the building directory, in map settings there is an option to turn them on or off.

You can check if primo can use the building file by going to more (puzzle icon), about, more, content.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 am

1. Is the file in the right place? T H I S post is a good start to see where all files should be copied to.
2. Did you enable 3D view in your settings?
3. That is all you need.

Now the main issue. Buildings are only visible on limited places on earth, esp. in more important cities (Paris, London, Berlin, and many other, even smaller cities). As a pure example: I guess you will see buildings on your screen in Munich, Germany, but none what so ever in Monschau or Braunlage, also German cities. Honestly, I am not 100% sure about this, because I didn't test if any buildings are visible in those cities. But I do know that the latter two are unimportant cities. (thanks to google maps :friendly_wink: ).

Anyway, the 3D building feature is rather eye candy. Nice to see but really useful? I don't know, I find my way without seeing any building at all on my screen most of the time.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby glinx1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:27 pm

I live in Los Angeles, CA. I checked under info where you see the versions of your firmware. Funny thing is it shows it there. Just won't come up on my map. Also, yes I do have 3d mode on and also buildings turned on in settings. I remember there was an Eclipse nav unit a while back that showed buildings making it easier to find the building, or mainly, house you were looking for. It would show your vehicle right in front of it when you were there. Is this feature on Igo not that accurate? And thanks for your help.
glinx1 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm

As said earlier, the majority of the country is not covered, only a few selected major cities.

As long as it shows up in the about/content and the building option is on in the map settings, that's enough to make it work, no sys.txt entries are needed.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby glinx1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks so much
glinx1 offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 pm

probably only la and sf show buildings?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby glinx1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 am

I live in out in the suburbs of Los Angeles County. Though we do have a lot of buildings and things but it's still nowhere near as congested as L. A. the city is.
glinx1 offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:00 pm

it is very expensive to the map makers to produce building graphic files so they limit them only to the major metropolitan areas.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core