Maps on SD card and internal memory simultaneously?   

Maps on SD card and internal memory simultaneously?

Postby MatesCZ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi, I've been looking through the forum but wasn't able to find an answer to my question. I have MIO DigiWalker C520 with iGO Primo 2.0 and only a 1GB SD Card. Is it possible to put some of the maps into the internal memory and some of them onto the SD card and make some changes to the sys.txt that would make iGO search for maps in both location? (and if so, how?) So far I was only able to make it work with only one of the folders, but never both. Thanks in advance for any help.
MatesCZ offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:27 pm

No.
Only one location for content can be used at one time.
It might be possible to rig up some version of Mapchanger to work with multiple locations, but it might also require some relatively fancy script writing/modifying (maybe new Mortscript if not the original mapchanger script?) if even that would be possible. And even then, changing maps would be a manual decision...not automatic.
If it's possible to do, Fatboyfun could do it.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby MatesCZ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm

So I guess it will be much easier to just go and buy a bigger card. Thanks.
MatesCZ offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:24 pm

MatesCZ wrote:So I guess it will be much easier to just go and buy a bigger card. Thanks.

You're using a plain SD card. You want to check if your device can use a SDHC card. Otherwise you will have to stick to a plain SD card. AFAIK, plain SD cards come in 2GB but you might find one as large as 4GB.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby MatesCZ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:36 pm

I checked and the official web says SDHC cards are supported, and several people reported using 8GB SDHC card with C520 with no problems (well, some cards evidently work and some don't). I'm gonna try and see and stick to the plain SD if necessary.
MatesCZ offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 pm

MatesCZ wrote:I checked and the official web says SDHC cards are supported, and several people reported using 8GB SDHC card with C520 with no problems (well, some cards evidently work and some don't). I'm gonna try and see and stick to the plain SD if necessary.

If your device is a Mio C520 it can use SDHC as long as your OS is MioMap 3.3.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm

MatesCZ wrote:Hi, I've been looking through the forum but wasn't able to find an answer to my question. I have MIO DigiWalker C520 with iGO Primo 2.0 and only a 1GB SD Card. Is it possible to put some of the maps into the internal memory and some of them onto the SD card and make some changes to the sys.txt that would make iGO search for maps in both location? (and if so, how?) So far I was only able to make it work with only one of the folders, but never both. Thanks in advance for any help.

You might consider dividing the content folder between the SD card and the internal memory, then make changes to the sys.txt,telling Primo where to look.
Possibly, you might have to tell primo where to find each separate folder then. Or only tell Primo where the maps folder is might do.
I never tried, but it should be possible. In theory.

hint:

[Folders]
app = "Storage Card \ Primo", according to your device instead of Storage Card write SDMMC or sdcard
content = "Storage Card \ Primo \ content"
map = "Storage Card \ Primo \ content \ map"
kmlpoi = "content \ userdata \ poi"
kmlroute = "userdata \" route ";" content \ userdata \ "route"
has_secondary_root = 0; must have in sys.txt if you have other navs on same SD card
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby MatesCZ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:23 pm

nabi wrote:You might consider dividing the content folder between the SD card and the internal memory, then make changes to the sys.txt,telling Primo where to look.
Possibly, you might have to tell primo where to find each separate folder then. Or only tell Primo where the maps folder is might do.
I never tried, but it should be possible. In theory.

I already tried this and it works, but it doesn't solve my problem - the map folder itself is too big to be either only in the internal memory or on the SD card.
MatesCZ offline

Postby bazzle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:39 pm

@MatesCZ

What maps are you using that req so much space?
Im running i3 with Ozzie 19.1, poi, tts etc maps at 893Mb or NT Q2 at 932 Mb.

Bazzle

Edit: Prob USA or Europe at a guess???
Still 4Gb card is ony $6 on Ebay.
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby MatesCZ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 pm

bazzle wrote:What maps are you using that req so much space?
Im running i3 with Ozzie 19.1, poi, tts etc maps at 893Mb or NT Q2 at 932 Mb.

Yes, Q2.2012 Europe, it's actually for a friend who drives a truck. I already ordered 4GB SDHC for like $4, probably the easiest solution.
MatesCZ offline

Postby nabi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 am

And does that friend really need complete Europe? When he does, get the 4GB. When he doesn't, deleting the non needed countries is the simplest. And you can loose all non needed files, like Dem, strange languages and voices, ... as well. That also saves lot's of space. (isn't Nasa Europe DEM not +/- 300 MB?)
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby MatesCZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 am

nabi wrote:And does that friend really need complete Europe? When he does, get the 4GB. When he doesn't, deleting the non needed countries is the simplest. And you can loose all non needed files, like Dem, strange languages and voices, ... as well. That also saves lot's of space. (isn't Nasa Europe DEM not +/- 300 MB?)

I already got rid off any DEM, languages and voices, even 3dc and some others...well, I'm not exactly sure if he needs the whole Europe, I forgot to ask and he is away now, but I'm sure he won't mind paying about $4 to have some additional space for music or movies :-)
MatesCZ offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 pm

If I could butt in. What unlock is your friend using for his C520? If it's MioPocket, it is VERY bloated with unnecessary apps and takes up a lot of room. Plus it affects the device's registry.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby MatesCZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:02 pm

chas521 wrote:If I could butt in. What unlock is your friend using for his C520? If it's MioPocket, it is VERY bloated with unnecessary apps and takes up a lot of room. Plus it affects the device's registry.

I was doing the unlock for him, and no, I used Pezcat19's Simple Mio C520 Unlock, which is only about 2 MB.
MatesCZ offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:12 pm

MatesCZ wrote:I was doing the unlock for him, and no, I used Pezcat19's Simple Mio C520 Unlock, which is only about 2 MB.

Never heard of that unlock and I've been doing this for years now. I worked with xtyler92. Does the unlock work? Does his unlock work with the registry or the SD card?

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core