Loading bmp   

Loading bmp

Postby deputy02 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Ok guys, I have tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. I want to change the loading bmp on my igo8 gps. I have created the bmp with 800_480 24 bit. When I try to run igo, I get an error cannot open ui_igo8\loading.bmp file. I have read some old post but it did not help. I was hoping someone might have a secret way to get it done.

Also another problem I have; I want to add a branded icon to branding file. Everytime I make a change I get an out of memory error -1 error. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks!!!!!!!
deputy02 offline

Re: Loading bmp

Postby JmaCWQ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:01 pm

iGO uses it's own compressed format for .bmp images, if it's not compressed to that format it most likely won't work.
I find the easiest way to get the right format is use the software iPAQ 31x.
Grab it from here:
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
JmaCWQ offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby jtrosky » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:30 pm

This is not really true. You can compress the images, but they don't need to be compressed. None of my loading.bmp images are compressed.

@OP - where are you putting the loading.bmp when you "install" it?

YOur problem is most likely because of the application you are using to edit the iGo .zip files. You need to use an older version of WinRAR (I use 4.01 which works well). I believe 5.0 also works. If you use WinZIp, it will corrupt the .zip files and cause the type of issues you are seeing.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 pm

deputy02 wrote:Ok guys, I have tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. I want to change the loading bmp on my igo8 gps. I have created the bmp with 800_480 24 bit. When I try to run igo, I get an error cannot open ui_igo8\loading.bmp file. I have read some old post but it did not help. I was hoping someone might have a secret way to get it done.

Also another problem I have; I want to add a branded icon to branding file. Everytime I make a change I get an out of memory error -1 error. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Before I go any further, I just want to make completely sure we're talking about igo8 and not Primo. I'm pretty sure it's igo8 but I just want to make sure. So bear with me. I have a different branding.zip for igo8 that has thousands of icons. [Please Register or Login to download file] Do you know how to change icons in the program?

Plus I've successfully changed my loading.bmp more times than I can say. You want to delete the current loading.bmp and not just overwrite it.

Read this general-discussions-about-igo-core-f87/loading-bmp-error-messages-t9534.html
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby deputy02 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:49 pm

First, yes I m working with igo8. Chas downloaded you branding file. I get failed to open file: poi_brand.spr exiting application. I have a 7" carelove gps with 128mg memory.
deputy02 offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:25 am

I know my branding. zip works fine. So I have to ask, where did you get your program? Did you follow all the instructions in the link? Did you also delete the save folder? Did you return the loading. bmp back to the original?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby JmaCWQ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:29 am

jtrosky wrote:This is not really true. You can compress the images, but they don't need to be compressed. None of my loading.bmp images are compressed.

@OP - where are you putting the loading.bmp when you "install" it?

YOur problem is most likely because of the application you are using to edit the iGo .zip files. You need to use an older version of WinRAR (I use 4.01 which works well). I believe 5.0 also works. If you use WinZIp, it will corrupt the .zip files and cause the type of issues you are seeing.

Interesting...I've never been able to get iGO8 to run if the loading.bmp wasn't compressed/converted to the iGO format before placing inside data.zip.
Always stopped at the same error the OP has.
I also found that if the wrong app was used to edit data.zip iGO8 wouldn't start to make it to that error, all it would do was throw an error about the application database not being found.
I guess different versions of iGO8 or different compression/editing software perhaps makes things behave in different ways.
JmaCWQ offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby jtrosky » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:50 am

Very good point - it may just be the way that certain image editing applications write the .bmp files that causes the problem. I generally use very simple image editing tools - mostly MS Paint when creating my loading.bmp images, so maybe that is why I haven't had any issues....

So @deputy02, you have a couple things that you can try - try using a known "good" version of WinRAR (4.01 or 5.0) and see if that makes a difference (if you are adding the loading.bmp image to a zip file). If not, try creating a simple test image in MS Paint and see if that works. It could either be the image editing software that you are using and/or the compression application that you are using...

Personally, I just create a "ui_igo9" directory in the main Primo directory and put any custom files in there (including loading.bmp) - any files in there override the files in data.zip and/or skin .zip files. This way I don't have to modify data.zip or skin files at all for custom loading.bmp or other custom files... This is for Primo. For iGo8, I think the directory is called "ui_igo8"...

Please do report your findings!

jtrosky offline

Postby deputy02 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:25 pm

chas, I have several igo8 programs. I tried 8.3.5.231128 and 8.3.4.142975 both with generic_igo8-worldwide@801 product.lic. I removed my loading bmp. I removed the save folder. I tried your file on my carelove 7" gps and my magellan 7" and both had the same error could not open poi_brand.spr. You are right that branding file has by far more icons than any branding file I have seen. I just wish I could get it to work.

I will pass this along, in my search for a branding file I have found that some igo9 branding file can be use in igo8 by just change the ui_igo9 to un_igo8. This does not work for all igo9 branding file but for some.
deputy02 offline

Postby deputy02 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:03 pm

chas do not worry about it. I am using your primo 2.4 and changed the loading.bmp using jtrosky method. I do loaded another branding file for primo that has most of the icons I needed. Everything is good now.
deputy02 offline

Postby jtrosky » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:08 pm

I gave up on finding a good branding file for Primo. Either the icons are too big, too ugly, too "different" from each other or don't work in both 2D and 3D mode. So I just don't use a branding file at all - especially since most of the bigger places (McDonandls, Arbys, Wendys, etc) all have good icons in the TomTom .poi files that I use (they are built into the TomTom POI files).

jtrosky offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core