iGO8 Restarts or freezes   

iGO8 Restarts or freezes

Postby nearen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:24 am

Hi guys,

Recently I got my hands on this Chinese GPS and everything was working perfect for 10 days.
I'm from Macedonia and as you may know, the iGO8 map for my country is very poor so I got a better one.
From this point forward (I must say it worked 2 more days flawlessly) iGO8 started making some problems like freezing, crashing, slow start ups, and eventually didn't load at all.
I have Windows CE 6.0 on the device (Chinese version), the resolution is 480x272 (tested with the software obtained from this site)
The manufacturer I suppose is here since it has its logo on the system info:
[Please Register or Login to download file]
The device looks like this:
and
and this is how the device reacts:

I'm almost sure that iGO8 has a "phone home" future when you attach the device to a PC, maybe I should format the SD card with a specific label or something or the iGO8 writes something in the WinCE folder so you can't install it without a proper license but I've already gone too far and now I'm getting more and more stubborn.

Believe me guys, I've done a lot of reading through the forum and done almost everything but I'm sure I'm missing something... please help.

Thanks for all your time fellas!

:dash3:

P.S.
I forgot to mention this: "Is there maybe a nice substitute for iGO8 that I can install and use it in Europe with a satisfactory results?" Thanks again!

\m/
nearen offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:04 am

Couple of questions first. Where did you get the iGO 8.3 program? Did you download it somewhere or did it come pre-installed on your device? Where did you get the new map that you installed? Next, it sounds like you are developing a memory problem. If you have too much content trying to load at startup, your device will reflect that in error messages or refuse to start at all. 1. Delete all .dem files [you don't really need them]. They're only eye candy as are the building files. 2. Reduce or delete entirely your speedcam folder. It's possible that you have too large an area trying to load. In your case it's possible that it's all of Europe. 3. Reduce the number of maps just to your country or just the neighboring ones also. 4. Delete your "save" folder. A new one will be created the next time you start.

As to your PS. Yes, there is Amigo and Primo. Both can be found in the program sub-section here.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nearen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:50 pm

chas521 wrote:Couple of questions first. Where did you get the iGO 8.3 program? Did you download it somewhere or did it come pre-installed on your device? Where did you get the new map that you installed? Next, it sounds like you are developing a memory problem. If you have too much content trying to load at startup, your device will reflect that in error messages or refuse to start at all. 1. Delete all .dem files [you don't really need them]. They're only eye candy as are the building files. 2. Reduce or delete entirely your speedcam folder. It's possible that you have too large an area trying to load. In your case it's possible that it's all of Europe. 3. Reduce the number of maps just to your country or just the neighboring ones also. 4. Delete your "save" folder. A new one will be created the next time you start.

As to your PS. Yes, there is Amigo and Primo. Both can be found in the program sub-section here.

First of all let me say thanks for the fast responce!

The iGO8 8.3 program came pre-installed on the 2GB SD card included.
I obtained the map from a personal friend (not an Internet friend) and on his device the map works perfectly althou he keept the old on also.
After te first problems I really had no choice but to format the SD card and do a fresh install.
This is the point I think I'm making all the bad moves.
I downloaded about 5 (or 7, not sure any more) different iGOs from various sites including from the links provided here in the Forums and installed it with the minimum data needed as explained.
To be more specific I will answer your questions as numbered:

1. I deleted the .dem files, I left the folder empty
2. Did the same with the speedcam folder
3. I put only the base map and the map of my country, the original map that came with the software
4. Deleted the save folder almost every time the application failed to start

I think that maybe I'm doing something wrong with the downloads... Can you guys give me step by step instructions with links for downloading? I hope I'm not to much of a pain...

After you replied to my post I went and downloaded Amigo 8.4xxxxxxx from this site and it installed flawlessly! I use the map provided by my friend and the base map including a .dem file named "Europe_NASA.dem" 264MB in size.
Works like a charm...

Amigo is "cute" but I really want the iGO 8.3 with all the futures. Can you please help this n00b? Thank you!
nearen offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Instead of "futures", are you saying "features?" Look here for iGO program. You want PNA not PDA. http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1837-Working-iGO-8.3-from-my-device or http://www.navitotal.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?83-Program-%28-data.zip-branding.zip-license%29

EDIT: BTW did you get Amigo from my post: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2855-Amigo-complete-with-TTS-no-content-480_272
It's upgradable for new maps and content. I still think that it's the best there is!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nearen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah, I meant "features" sorry for my typo :-)

Thanks for the links friend I will try them and post update.

I downloaded Amigo from here: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?946-iGO-Amigo-v8.4.x.xxxxx-Software but I will try yours as well since I trust your experience.
nearen offline

Postby nearen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:48 pm

YES! Installed smoothly and works perfect!

Didn't touch anything, didn't even put any map yet and left the Amigo also on the SD card but I needed to post my huge thank you!!!

I believe that this is the last struggle with the installation, tomorrow I'll put few EU maps and POIs (first just my country) and see how it goes :D

You've made my day chas521 and for that I bow to thee.
nearen offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:42 am

Glad it worked. Good luck.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core