iGo8.3 vs Primo   

iGo8.3 vs Primo

Postby siberian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Any advantages of migrating from iGo 8.3 to Primo? Will 8.3 maps etc. still work on Primo? TIA

siberian
The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:53 pm

You will not find a consensus opinion on this. I prefer the newer Primo for a variety of reasons, others prefer the older iGo8.3x for a variety of reasons.
Maps will work in either, yes.
If your system or SD Card has the room, try running both and you can compare for yourself.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Could you maybe just outline what those reasons are? Is it functionality, stability? Do you recommend WinCE 6, or will it run under 5?

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:57 pm

This is my opinion. I find that Primo 1.0, 1.2 and 2.0 do not navigate properly. They take me out of my way. My Primo 1.1, iGO8 and Amigo do navigate properly. :)
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm

siberian wrote:Could you maybe just outline what those reasons are?

Functionality, yes. Primo has many more (in my opinion) useful features that add to the navigation experience without being a distraction or hard to configure. I also find, with the right skin, much more possibility for customization...everything from a plain vanilla uncrowded interface, to all the bells, whistles, and toolbars one could possibly want. The latest version of Primo runs fine on WinCE 5 or 6 (and most versions of Windows Mobile 6.x). WinCE versions before 5 (such as 4.2) are an issue with some features like TTS-Pro voices. I find the Nuance TTS-Pro voices a vast improvement over previous TTS versions (either from Nuance or Loquendo). And I find no navigational related differences between Primo 2 and any previous version of iGo or Primo..they all get me to where I want to go just fine with no unusual routing anomalies or anything of the sort which would make anything like that a reason to justify running one or the others.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Thank you Chas and YT, that's what I was looking for. Many times one finds that upgrading isn't quite what we expect (see XP users who went to Vista for example).

I don't know whether this issue is just because of the latitude I live in or software or..., but I find that I regularly lose Sat Lock on my unit. I went for an amplified GPS Rx and that helped somewhat but I still loose lock. I find that once a second polling is probably the culprit and since I ordered a new HU for my other Treg which runs WinCE 6, I hope that it would be a bit more stable. So prior to upgrading to Primo (and WinCE 6) from 8.3 and WInCE 5, I was just wondering what the pros and cons are.

Any other comments please? TIA

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 pm

siberian wrote:Many times one finds that upgrading isn't quite what we expect (see XP users who went to Vista for example).

That kinda hits the nail on the head. Some think iGo8 is the Windows XP of navigation (stable and adequate), and Primo2 is the Windows 7 (new features to discover and play with). Both have similar increased minimum power/resource requirements too. But pay no attention to me..I like always being on the Bleeding Edge.
Example: I got a new smartphone about a month ago. Before I had it 24 hours, I had rooted it, and have reflashed the ROM 5 times (each being an "upgrade").
since then. Warranty Schmarranty.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:45 pm

And a DIY is posted under the appropriate forum right :)

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby miomoshe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm

I like igo8 with gurjon skin. after that amigo with freddysam skin. primo 1.2 is the last (even with the skin). primo 2.0 i did not play with it so much yet but it look s to me that igo8 is the best.
miomoshe offline

Postby siberian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Where did you download the skins from? The current blocked sites? Thanx for your input

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby navman1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:07 pm

I had Igo8 on 64mb unit as Primo ran slow on it. I changed to 128Mb unit and stuck on Primo 2 with dem files etc. The dem files looked great but slowed the screen display down quite a lot so I took the dem files off. Primo 2 looks quite nice but I still use Igo8. It flies on the 128 mb unit with no lag at all
navman1 offline

Postby bazzle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:35 pm

siberian wrote:Where did you download the skins from? The current blocked sites? Thanx for your input

siberian

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?8454-Primo-2.0-Skins

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby doodle1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 am

Hi, I am new to this forum. Am I the only person that has two sat nav programmes on one device? The aim is I use Primo 2 as main with iGo 8 as a backup but I find it hard to decide which is the best. I have a 128Mb sat nav unit so both programmes run well even with tts and dem files. It is getting to the stage where I need to delete one to free up hard drive space. My preference is keeping iGo 8. The only thing I'll miss with Primo 2 is the junction views. Can you get junction views with iGo 8? Saying that with Primo 2 when it shows you the time to the next turn off is good as well. Ahhhhhhhhh!
doodle1 offline

Postby doodle1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43 am

Or, are there lines I can put in either iGo or Primo sys file that will read maps, pois and dem files from the other so I can delete one set of those files to free up space? Both are on device memory
doodle1 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Here is a thread that contains the sys.txt lines...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?8865-MAP-files-on-other-disc-card&p=69608#post69608

I would use the map and poi lines and in iGO8's sys.txt to point to the map and poi folders in the Primo installation rather than have a shared content folder as voices and languages can be different.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core