IGO8 On a Peaklife GPS - Routing Problems   

IGO8 On a Peaklife GPS - Routing Problems

Postby Uncle Phil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 pm

I develop my routes via MS Streets & Trips, convert them to .KML via GPSBabel, then download them via a VB App I wrote. The routes work fine (unless IGO8 and S&T 'disagree' as to where a specific location is then a little loop happens). Here's the problem - When I do a route, IGO8 does not appear to have a delete for the Start of a route when I edit the route on the device. I can delete any other via point but not the start. If I let it do a recalculate, it wants to take me back to the start. Is there a solution to this or a way to tell IGO8 to just start from where I am and use the rest of the route as is? I use this on my motorcycles for very specific routes and do not want to just plug in an address and go there. Thanks.
Uncle Phil offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:56 pm

You're asking a very tough thing here. You're asking the device to "change" its navigational reading so that your navigation becomes the paramount operation. A navigation is created because of how the map makers and the device work together as a team. I've never heard of there being a way to force the device to use only your navigation. AFAIK, you can add via points but you're not going to be able to change the route it chooses. It will recalculate if you detour but that's all.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Uncle Phil wrote:I develop my routes via MS Streets & Trips, convert them to .KML via GPSBabel, then download them via a VB App I wrote.

I don't mean to sound like Captain Obvious here, but that seems like a lot of work to not get exactly what you want.
You might spend the same (or maybe less) time developing your routes directly within iGo on your device (you can use the "Plan on map" method instead of address to address if you like), which then each route created will, by default, have the "Start" as your current GPS position...whatever that may be.
As an added benefit, you would then never run into the conflicts that are bound to happen when creating a specific route with one piece of software and it's maps, then actually using the route with a completely different program with it's maps.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Uncle Phil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm

It seems, based on the replies, that I did not make my question clear. It is a common practice in the Garmin GPS world to do your routes on a PC/Laptop in Mapsource and then download them into the GPS ahead of time. I'm doing the same thing with different software (my app does the conversion and download with one click so it's no big deal - it also will convert and download multiple routes in one click which is nice for a multiple day ride). IGO8 seldom has trouble with the routes - except in the rare case of a cordinate disagreement with MS S&T. I understand the GPS will 'calculate' the routes based on it's logic and hopefully the via points that I have set. My real issue is that once you strike out on a preloaded route, the recalculation tends to want to send you back to the start point. You can delete intermediate vias with no problem once you are past them, but it does not seem to have an option to delete the start point, even after you are halfway into your route. The route is still lined out on the screen, but poor Fred goes silent because he thinks you are off route. BTW, planning cross country or cross states on the unit itself is a time-consuming process, IMHO, because of the form factor. I've used various GPS systems that have that option but this is my first go around with IGO8. Just wondering if there was an option that I am missing.
Uncle Phil offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:18 pm

In iGO (and Primo) you can never 'delete' the start point, because it is always 'Where you are now'. From there, you can edit/reorder the route, and it will always recalculate from your current GPS position...this is for routes created on the device.
The problem (and maybe this is only with iGo software because of the way the defaults work), is that your imported route does NOT start with an actual 'You are here' GPS location.... it starts where you started it from. So I don't know the answer...if there is one.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Uncle Phil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks - that's about what I was thinking. I have noticed that sometimes (don't know why not always), IGO8 asks if you want to start from the 'original' route start or from your current position. I don't know what the trigger is but I wish I did. Classic example - route that starts from a campground, but it can't find the satellites due to proximity of high mountains (ran into this on my Alaska ride). It keeps wanting me to go back to the start after I've already left the campground and it finally gets a signal. But if it can't it can't and I'll live with it. Just thought maybe there was a work around that I had missed. I tried adding a 'new' start on the device but it still wouldn't let me delete the original 'start'. Thanks again.
Uncle Phil offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am

Uncle Phil wrote:IGO8 asks if you want to start from the 'original' route start or from your current position. I don't know what the trigger is but I wish I did

I don't really know if it's the same in iGO8, but in Primo (which is what I normally use unless I am testing something else), if I load a route, and then either exit or put the device to sleep (the last route set is retained in the Save folder unless you cancel it), when woken back up/restarted it asks if I want to "Continue.....". Maybe this will work the same way for you and it will assume the current GPS location to start from?
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core