iGo8.3.2.80621 TTS voices are very quiet   

iGo8.3.2.80621 TTS voices are very quiet

Postby slowtyper » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi, I had experimented with a couple different versions of 8.3 and this one I found worked best for me, however the TTS speech is very quiet. The other version I had had good sound, but was a bit buggy for some reason for me so I erased it.

Can anyone tell me if there are some settings I can alter to increase the volume of the TTS voice?

Thank you for your help.

I am running the software on a chinese unbranded GPS.
slowtyper offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Is it just the TTS voices that are quiet, Or is a normal voice quiet as well? What about safety cam warnings?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby slowtyper » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Well I don't have any safety cam warnings. In general the GPS seems very quiet however I'm not sure exactly what you mean by normal voice. The whole GPS unit seems very quiet except for some random beeps, whereas previously I had it working with loud voices so I know its not the speaker that doesn't work.
slowtyper offline

Postby nabi » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:03 pm

First of all: v8.3.2.80621 is 2 years old (march 2009). For a list of releases : :link:
Maybe consider upgrading?

Now: what can be wrong?
I assume that in iGO the volume is up all the way? (on "Map" screen go to "Menu" > " More..." > "Settings" > "Sound and Warnings" and push the slider to the right completely)

Or is there a hardware or device setting for the volume? Some devices have volume control as part of the device's OS in the general menus, and some work in conjunction with each other. So if there is one, turn that up to full volume as well.

Next the voices. The voices can be soft recorded. Another voice can make a lot of difference!

Finally, you can make changes in sys.txt. These are the lines :

[sound]
queue_length=200
ding=0 ;
dynamic_volume_type="1"
os_volume="255"
dynamic_volume_voicemaxspeed="0"
dynamic_volume_voice_volume_max="200"
sound_volume="200"
os_muted="0"
voice_volume="200"

These lines go in the sys.txt file. Just copy and paste them with a text editor. Don't forget to make a back up copy first.

Or the easy way: go to this post : http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?1837-Working-iGO-8.3-from-my-device,download and replace your iGO build
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby slowtyper » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 am

Nabi,

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the specialized support you provided for me. I think the problem was that just the voices are quiet that I had on my device. I will probably use the last option you gave me, because I'm lazy, and its a way to get louder voices and update my older Igo8 as well! One quick off-topic question while I have your attention...this is my device [Please Register or Login to download file] it has 64mb ram and 372MHz. I looked at the Primo software and it recommends more hardware requirement that I have. Would you recommend I stick with R3 builds of iGo or are there any more recent softwares you think my device could handle?

Thanks

Sean
slowtyper offline

Postby nabi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 am

Hmm, hard to tell without testing. Primo as well as iGO8.3 have their demands, their positive and negative points.
The required Mhz for Primo is 400, yours has 372, Not so bad. More important is - for the nav program - the available RAM.
Also important to say that Primo can use Nuance TTS, that is less memory hungry than Loquendo TTS (used by iGO, works on Primo).
Further more you can give up some features like 3D building or even TTS and save memory. Enabling all features leads to memory problems. This is for Primo and for iGO! (http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?915-How-to-solve-memory-issues)

Luckily it's easy to try for yourself because Chas521 did upload a Primo from his device too. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?1728-Working-Primo-from-my-device
Not good? Delete and it is gone!
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 am

The latest version of Primo with all features and enhancements runs ok on my 64MB 299MHz PNA, It slows down the frame rate a bit occasionally but never crashes.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 am

It still crashes my PDA when using (Loquendo - no other choice for me) TTS voices. Never had that problem on iGO. (though I do not like TTS and do not use it on the road, except for testing purposes)
On the other hand, I have to use an alternative data.zip for resolution reasons, which is surely not an advantage here.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about iGO core