iGO in WinCE and Android Question.   

iGO in WinCE and Android Question.

Postby jimjones666 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:57 am

Hello,

Not sure if I have put this in the right section or not but I have a question regarding iGO and Nav Software in general.

I just bought a car and it has a Windows CE 6.0 entertainment unit/ Sat. Nav. The specs are:
1, Advanced ARM11 Architecture
2, Windows CE 6.0 Operation System
3, CPU frequency: 600MHz
4. 7 inch TFT LCD Digital Screen, 800x480 Resolution, Touch Screen
(this is all the info they gave me)

I put "iGo-Primo 2.4-9.6.13 Complete", from this site, on it and it works great. But I am not happy with the unit because of its other firmware - music player etc. so I am thinking of returning it.
Instead I was thinking of putting in a unit with an android system. For the one I'm looking at the specs are:

(From the seller)-
In car radio andriod 4.0
1.0-1.5 G dual core CPU
3G&Wifi
Memory: 1.0GB
Storage space: 4.0 GB
8 inch 800x480 Resolution, Touch Screen

Android 4.0 OS(Optional)
CPU:1.0 GB
Memory:1.0 GB
Storage space:4GB flash

My question is, are there many Sat Nav programs for the Android units? I have seen the app. "Primo 9.6.7.274244 - Explay Infinity" in the section Android Apps, can I use the maps and speed camera updates from the general iGO section or do I need specific ones for this new program? If so are the map updates easy to get. Also on an android system can the Sat. Nav. app and/or music app start on power up (when I turn the key) I guess the question is should I change to android or stay with the WinCE unit?
Any help would be appreciated.
jimjones666 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:00 am

Windows ce is slowly becoming obsolete, and Android powered units are becoming available, you will get the same problem on Android with crippled/modified versions as you do with wince units, and Android, due to it's Linux core, is not as easy to control as wince is, like there is no mortscript alternative for example, or allowing programmes to run at startup is not easy either.

Having said that the question about content between Android and wince versions of iGO is easy, you can share the content between both versions.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jimjones666 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank you very much for your help, I see there are up sides and down sides to both.

Unfortunately with the WinCE unit I have the music player is firmware, it is horrible – doesn’t sort out the music by artist, album, genre etc. I really want to change it but don’t know how, even if I knew how there aren’t many music players for WinCE on the net. I have been using the iGO player which is much better.
When I bought this unit I was told it would accept up to 320GB hard drive and have 2 USB inputs, which it doesn’t have either.
I do like the fact that the Sat. Nav. will start up (most of the time) on my current WinCE when the unit powers up and from what you said, it may be hard to do this in android.
Maybe I should just stick with what I have and save the hassle of swapping the units.
jimjones666 offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core