IGO 8.3.5.151770 Crashing   

IGO 8.3.5.151770 Crashing

Postby gsthunder » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I tried searching 1st but don't see an answer so...

I am having a real problem with IGO8 and it crashing on me. I have updated it with what updates are avilable for my Nav unit as well as getting the newest maps. That eliminated 2/3 of the crashing problems( fixed crashing at the startup ACCEPT screen 50% of the time and freezing up mid route off and on )but one problem( see below )still persists.

When I try and start a route and I am not on a road it causes the Nav to freeze up( at around 97-99% of calculating route usually )every time. The ONLY way to free it is to pop the SD card out and then pop it back in which causes it to reboot after I clear the error popups( have seen IGO.EXE Error and Application Error ). If I am on a road it doesn't do it. When it does crash and I reboot it I have to clear the history and then re-enter the route from scratch for it to work or it causes it to freeze again even when on road.

I have read about this on a few places and they have called it "Parking Lot Freeze" and some others with IGO8 have experienced it. Pretty much when you try and start a route from a parking lot, driveway, trail, etc... it crashes the Nav system. No one seems to have a solution to it and I have had no luck getting help( or even a response never mind help )from the mfg of my Nav unit.

Just really annoying. I have sort of got to the point I can work around it most times but it still happens now and then and I want to eliminate the issue if I can. I love the Nav software other than this issue.

As requested in a sticky about asking for help I will list what info I can to try and help. I have no experience with GPS programming( sys.txt )so please bear with me and ask me based on me being a total newb to this stuff( which I am ). I am computer literate however so that should help.

Astrium GEE-0809 In dash Navigation head unit( [Please Register or Login to download file] )
256MB SDRAM
800X480
IGO8( version 8.3.5.151770 )
NAVTEQ Maps( can get versions if needed )

Runs solely on the SD card. Doesn't appear anything is on the head unit's hard drive. This seems to be an IGO8 software issue as I tried IGO MYWAY( seller sent me another SD card with it to try - so far no crashes in limited testing )and it hasn't done it. I don't really care for MYWAY though and prefer IGO8.

Things I have done/tried...

1 - Updated through the head unit's recommended site( Naviextras )with most current version and maps offered for my head unit.

2 - I always EXIT IGO before shutting the vehicle off*

3 - I clear history after finishing a route*

* - saw these suggestions to help with crashes in general and it does seem to help.

4 - After looking through the Nav software settings and menus I found a place where it says something to the effect of "Lock Position On Road". This is checked from the factory. I have seen some people say unecking it helps with the parking lot freeze issue while others say not? I haven't tried it yet but will if anyone thinks it will help.

5 - Basically what I do when starting a route now is get the destination info in but I don't actually set it/start the route until I am on the road or at least right next to it( like at a light coming out of a parking lot ). Usually this works but still can freeze up if in a parking lot/driveway. On road now it doesn't freeze when starting a route at all since the updates.

NOTE - I can go off road into a parking lot or driveway in the middle of a route and everything stays working fine as long as I don't shut the car off. I can come back out onto the road and it stays working fine as well. If I do have to shut my vehicle off though I have to cancel the route 1st and then exit IGO beforer I shut the vehicle off. When I come back I have to get back on the road( or right out next to it )and re-enter the destination( from history )and it starts up again ok. If I try and start it in the parking lot/driveway though it will freeze on me.

Hopefully this is enough info to at least get started. I truly would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.
gsthunder offline

Postby filesupload100 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 am

I didn't have any experience with what you describe, but I came across 2 settings that will be worth to check.
I'm using iGO 8.3.5.183522 so I hope this settings are in your version as well.

Settings-> Route Planning-> Options -> (next screen) -> Offroad mode (check-box)
Settings-> Navigation-> Off-route sensitivity (play with the scroll-bar)
filesupload100 offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby bazzle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 am

Try agin with no speedcams in folder, then with no Dem etc to eliminate memory issues.

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby gsthunder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:06 pm

filesupload100 wrote:I didn't have any experience with what you describe, but I came across 2 settings that will be worth to check.
I'm using iGO 8.3.5.183522 so I hope this settings are in your version as well.

Settings-> Route Planning-> Options -> (next screen) -> Offroad mode (check-box)
Settings-> Navigation-> Off-route sensitivity (play with the scroll-bar)

Thanks for the assistance. It looks like my version is a bit different than yours. I can't do Settings-> Route Planning-> Options -> (next screen) -> Offroad mode (check-box)

I can only do Settings-> Route Planning-> Options. I don't have the option to go to another screen with more choices. Just the one where I can select the road types to use. No Off Road mode available to me.

I can't do "Settings-> Navigation-> Off-route sensitivity (play with the scroll-bar)" either unfortunately. Under Navigation settings this is all I can do...

gsthunder offline

Postby gsthunder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm

bazzle wrote:Try agin with no speedcams in folder, then with no Dem etc to eliminate memory issues.

Bazzle

Thank you for your response.

What folder for speedcams? I do not have them activated? I am sorry but I don't know what "no Dem etc to eliminate memory issues" means?

Do you mean loading the SD card and looking in the program files and working in there?
gsthunder offline

Postby bazzle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 am

what are specs of your unit?

On SD card.
igo8

content\dem
content\speedcam
content\voice (tts files
content\building

all the above use up memory and can cause crashes when allocating resources.

If removing (renameing) any(all) of the above helps you may be able to reallocate memory in sys.txt

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby kamoteka » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 am

I think this is a problem on older igo 8 versions, some dating back to 2009 and I experienced this myself. This was never a problem on later releases of igo8 and certainly unheard of on all versions Primo. The workaround I remember is to uncheck [Keep Position on Road] under Navigation settings.

There is actually an old thread/discussion about this here:
removed....

EDIT: the forum name is being changed to "disney", so just do a google search on "igo parking Lot Freeze".
kamoteka offline

Postby gsthunder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 pm

bazzle wrote:what are specs of your unit?

On SD card.
igo8

content\dem
content\speedcam
content\voice (tts files
content\building

all the above use up memory and can cause crashes when allocating resources.

If removing (renameing) any(all) of the above helps you may be able to reallocate memory in sys.txt

Bazzle

I don't think this is a memory issue. I should have enough. I listed the spec's in my 1st post but with it so long perhaps you missed it.

Astrium GEE-0809 In dash Navigation head unit( [Please Register or Login to download file] )
256MB SDRAM
800X480
IGO8( version 8.3.5.151770 )
NAVTEQ Maps( can get versions if needed )
gsthunder offline

Postby gsthunder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 pm

kamoteka wrote:I think this is a problem on older igo 8 versions, some dating back to 2009 and I experienced this myself. This was never a problem on later releases of igo8 and certainly unheard of on all versions Primo. The workaround I remember is to uncheck [Keep Position on Road] under Navigation settings.

There is actually an old thread/discussion about this here:
removed....

EDIT: the forum name is being changed to "disney", so just do a google search on "igo parking Lot Freeze".

Thanks. I found a few instances of Parking Lot Freeze on the internet for IGO and did read about your suggestion. It didn't seem to work for everyone though and for others it only worked a while and then stopped. I will give it a try however at a known spot where it freezes me up coming out of a parking lot and see what it does.

You would think IGO would address such a major pain with an update/patch for older versions if they fixed it in newer releases. 2009 isn't all that long ago.

Thanks again.

EDIT - I wonder if I bought my own version of IGO and got something newer if it would work in my head unit?
gsthunder offline

Postby nabi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 pm

When your device really is 256 MB RAM, than you should not have any memory problem at all.

The parking lot freeze is solved in iGO8 a very long time ago. It was an issue in 2008-2009 and solved by a (at the time) new release. Anyway, if I remember correctly, it was the early 8.3.2.7**** and 8.3.2.8**** series that suffered that problem.

I can't say what date your build really is, because it is unknown to me. You say it is 8.3.5.151770.
Here is my problem with that. 8.3.5 is AFAIK introduced in march 2011. However the first known (by me) 8.3.5 build is 8.3.5.183522.(16 March 2011)
The last 6 numbers are always sequentially used by NavnGO. An example: early Primo 8.5.11.176142 is dated Jan 24 2011. Primo is an evolution of iGO8.3, but was released before 8.3.5.183522. This way of numbering builds chronological is valid for all iGO builds, including Android (iGO 9.6.7) and iPhone builds.

Well, in my list of programs (which is not THE final iGO list, but is considered all around reasonably up to date and correct - http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?913-List-of-iGO-8-Amigo-and-Primo-(Windows-CE-Based)-releases), 151770 should be placed (chronological) early July 2010.

Edit: Found some info : 8.3.5.151770, 14 July 2010, probably released on Airis t950, Argentina - added to my list.

When it is 8.3.5, it's long before the previously first known 8.3.5, while the error points to even more early 8.3.2 and with it, a release period long before July 2010 (= april 2009). Remarkable. I wonder why a "new" release reintroduced old program faults?

FYI
8.3.2 introduced 3D views and turn around 360° views of the map
8.3.4 added driver alerts
8.3.5 added truck/bus/mobilhome routing

A certainty is that this build is not wide spread. All I can find around the net about it are some posts on different forums. Mostly in Spanish, about the introduction? And then some problems post in different forums. All by you.

EDIT - I wonder if I bought my own version of IGO and got something newer if it would work in my head unit?

I won't stop you buying a new release, I just wonder why you ask here (and on "fellow" grey sites) such question?
Maybe it would be the easiest when you look around here and find you a working, "cured" and recent release for free? They all seem to work fine.
Like this one : http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?11942-iGO-8.3.5.231128-NavOn
Or a Primo? http://www.navitotal.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Program-(-data.zip-branding.zip-license)

I
n fact, I think you should upgrade to at least a stable build. A new world of GPS will open.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby gsthunder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm

nabi wrote:When your device really is 256 MB RAM, than you should not have any memory problem at all.

Yes, it is 256MB of RAM( SDRAM to be specific )

The parking lot freeze is solved in iGO8 a very long time ago. It was an issue in 2008-2009 and solved by a (at the time) new release. Anyway, if I remember correctly, it was the early 8.3.2.7**** and 8.3.2.8**** series that suffered that problem.

I can's say what date your build really is, because it is unknown to me. You say it is 8.3.5.151770.
Here is my problem with that. 8.3.5 is AFAIK introduced in march 2011. However the first known (by me) 8.3.5 build is 8.3.5.183522.(16 March 2011)
The last 6 numbers are always sequentially used by NavnGO. An example: early Primo 8.5.11.176142 is dated Jan 24 2011. Primo is an evolution of iGO8.3, but was released before 8.3.5.183522. This way of numbering builds chronological is valid for all iGO builds, including Android (iGO 9.6.7) and iPhone builds.

Well, in my list of programs (which is not THE final iGO list, but is considered all around reasonably up to date and correct - http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?913-List-of-iGO-8-Amigo-and-Primo-(Windows-CE-Based)-releases), 151770 should be placed (chronological) early July 2010.

Edit: Found some info : 8.3.5.151770, 14 July 2010, probably released on Airis t950, Argentina - added to my list.

When it is 8.3.5, it's long before the previously first known 8.3.5, while the error points to even more early 8.3.2 and with it, a release period long before July 2010 (= april 2009). Remarkable. I wonder why a "new" release reintroduced old program faults?

FYI
8.3.2 introduced 3D views and turn around 360° views of the map
8.3.4 added driver alerts
8.3.5 added truck/bus/mobilhome routing

A certainty is that this build is not wide spread. All I can find around the net about it are some posts on different forums. Mostly in Spanish, about the introduction? And then some problems post in different forums. All by you.

All I can do is post the version info that it tells me it is? Maybe this was something special for Astrium I don't know? All I know is it is the version number I provided and Astrium states they use IGO nav software with NAVTEQ maps. The Nav software version is 8.3.5.151770 and all the maps are 2012.Q3.

I have posted around the internet trying to find an answer is all. 4 Forums in total counting this one trying to get an answer.

I won't stop you buying a new release, I just wonder why you ask here (and on "fellow" grey sites) such question?
Maybe it would be the easiest when you look around here and find you a working, "cured" and recent release for free? They all seem to work fine.
Like this one : http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?11942-iGO-8.3.5.231128-NavOn
Or a Primo? http://www.navitotal.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Program-(-data.zip-branding.zip-license)

I
n fact, I think you should upgrade to at least a stable build. A new world of GPS will open.

I believe this is the only site I have asked about buying a new version on. I didn't know it was wrong of me to want to buy the product? I am confused. I didn't come here initially looking for free stuff. I came here because there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks and I was not getting any answers from the head unit mfg or on IGO's site. I thought I might find the solution to the problems with the version I have, which other than this parking lot freeze up issue, works great.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:
gsthunder offline

Postby nabi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 pm

gsthunder wrote:
All I can do is post the version info that it tells me it is? Maybe this was something special for Astrium I don't know? All I know is it is the version number I provided and Astrium states they use IGO nav software with NAVTEQ maps. The Nav software version is 8.3.5.151770 and all the maps are 2012.Q3.

I have posted around the internet trying to find an answer is all. 4 Forums in total counting this one trying to get an answer.

I know.
I was looking for an answer myself, for the reasons I gave (before unknown build, an old error returning, ..)

gsthunder wrote:I believe this is the only site I have asked about buying a new version on. I didn't know it was wrong of me to want to buy the product? I am confused. I didn't come here initially looking for free stuff. I came here because there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks and I was not getting any answers from the head unit mfg or on IGO's site. I thought I might find the solution to the problems with the version I have, which other than this parking lot freeze up issue, works great.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

You want help/advise? Why bother to solve a issue that is solved in later builds, that are newer and better? Isn't it better then to upgrade to a newer build?

Again, I won't stop you when you want to buy it. Good for NavNGo. They can't blame us for giving the help they don't give. You are not the first experiencing this.
But you can get free builds as well. Just download one and place it on an SD (a new blank one !! never ever use the original SD !!! ), keep the same file structure and the same name for the .exe file, add the content (maps etc) and you are up and running.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby gsthunder » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 pm

You want help/advise? Why bother to solve a issue that is solved in later builds, that are newer and better? Isn't it better then to upgrade to a newer build?

Again, I won't stop you when you want to buy it. Good for NavNGo. They can't blame us for giving the help they don't give. You are not the first experiencing this.
But you can get free builds as well. Just download one and place it on an SD (a new blank one !! never ever use the original SD !!! ), keep the same file structure and the same name for the .exe file, add the content (maps etc) and you are up and running.

Why not fix the version I have if it is something simple? It came with the head unit and works great other than that 1 issue. Certainly that is easier than me having to "borrow" :D anything or mess with programming in the sys.txt and such wouldn't you agree?

I don't understand your confusion. I simply was asking if there was a solution to this problem with my version. I prefer to use a legal version as well. I am not judging anyone or anything by that either.

I like this version and it works good other than the PLF so I see no reason to replace it if it is something that I can fix on this version.

Again, thanks for trying to help.
gsthunder offline

Postby kamoteka » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:46 pm

The fix we know for the PLF issue was a new version released that did not have that problem. Most igo 8.3 versions looks the same anyway (UI wise). So you can try a newer igo 8.3.5 (iGO 8.3.5.183522) version here (only if you want to):

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011

There were also some discussions about PLF that it may due to a bug on the data.zip. You can also try the data.zip from iGO 8.3.5.183522 and replace the data.zip on your installation. Save the you original data.zip so you can still go back to it if the data.zip for iGO 8.3.5.183522 does not work out on yours. I am almost sure that you would not notice any difference between your current igo and iGO 8.3.5.183522.
kamoteka offline

Postby nabi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 pm

gsthunder wrote:Why not fix the version I have if it is something simple? It came with the head unit and works great other than that 1 issue. Certainly that is easier than me having to "borrow" :D anything or mess with programming in the sys.txt and such wouldn't you agree?

No.

gsthunder wrote:I don't understand your confusion. I simply was asking if there was a solution to this problem with my version. I prefer to use a legal version as well. I am not judging anyone or anything by that either.

I like this version and it works good other than the PLF so I see no reason to replace it if it is something that I can fix on this version.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

And I don't understand your confusion. Not completely that is.
Anyway, I did not say "you MUST do this", did I?

Of course, you can always wait and see IF NavNGo (naviextras) gives you a satisfying answer. That you do not get program updates, only map updates, don't tell you anything about their support? Oh they know about the parking lot freeze. They do. Since years.

But IF, they can tell you to disable "Lock Position On Road", they can tell you to update - the latter would solve more than only the PLF. Remember, on the Airis, 8.3.5.151770 was introduced in July 2010, almost 3 years ago. Since, there were some updates of the program. Why ever would that be ?? And why do you believe that an update looks or handles different? Thus when you would buy a new iGO, what iGO would you be buying? A new one? Or the same old one with the very same PLF issue? Since it's 3 years old ... I don't think so.

Next, NavNGo only sells its software to hardware manufacturers. Thus you have to buy a new device. Unless you could dig up an iGO build somewhere on eBay or so. But if that one is legal??? And will you get support?
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core