How to update Mio M400 to latest UK&ROI Maps   

How to update Mio M400 to latest UK&ROI Maps

Postby creative-2009 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm

I've been using the site for a while to, successfully, update my TomTom to the latest UK maps.

Now I've been asked to update a Mio M400 to the latest UK and ROI maps for a relative. I did a bit of google-ing, without any success. I've also searched the forums here, but have become a bit confused.

I know that it's possible with some devices to flash them to use the TomTom navcore/software, but I've not been asked to do that. Ideally I just want to update the maps without making any other changes.

Where do I start!?

I've attached some photos to help with identifying the device.

If you need any more info, please ask.

Thanks.
creative-2009 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm

No need, I have one of these...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?t=8169

Primo 2 runs perfectly and so does Tomtom although it's only a basic version.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Unless you want to pay Mio for newer maps (which may be unlikely anyway), you will not have much luck.
Unless you change the software from MioMap to iGo or Primo downloaded from here:
Programs

Then you can install any of the maps from here:
-Maps-buildings-dem-POI

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT: Nevermind...Fatboyfun beat me by a few seconds. Do as he says.[/color]
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby creative-2009 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:No need, I have one of these...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?t=8169

Primo 2 runs perfectly and so does Tomtom although it's only a basic version.

Thanks to both of you.

The ten steps look pretty straightforward to follow. I'll start reading into that.

This Primo is it the software that runs on the device? Will it replace the current software? How do they compare?

If it was my device I would jump right into it, but obviously I want to be cautious as it is for a relative.
creative-2009 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm

creative-2009 wrote:[color="#FF0000"]Will it replace the current software?[/color] [color="#008000"]How do they compare?[/color]

1) [color="#FF0000"]Yes.[/color]
2) [color="#008000"]They don't...Primo is orders of magnitude better than MioMap.[/color]
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby creative-2009 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks again.

The most obvious post to use in the maps forum is this one:

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6824-UK-amp-ROI-Content-pack.

If I use the "Navteq maps and POI's... (Nice Tea for the Queen)" link, will this give me the UK and ROI map that I need for this new setup?

Edit-->

I've downloaded the map that I've referred to above. However, the UK and the ROI maps appear to be seperate, rather than all in one joint file (as with TomTom). I seem to remember in FatBoyFun's tutorial it saying to only use one map. Is this going to be a problem? It's essential that both the UK and ROI maps work correctly.
creative-2009 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Primo can use maps from different providers, in the UK they are teleatlas and navteq, the jury's still out on which is best, so go with what you have downloaded already.

"Everything else" includes optional extras, download it for now but leave it to one side until you have the programme working.

The most important thing to remember is don't move, rename or edit any file with AppStartupSec in it's title unless you know what you are doing, if you follow the guide you'll be fine.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Also with a new install it's best to keep the content light, until you've had a successful startup, always start with one map, you can add the others later...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:16 pm

creative-2009 wrote:FatBoyFun's tutorial it saying to only use one map

Only as a first install/go....just to make sure everything works OK. If it does, you can add as many map files (*.fbl) as the device or SD card can comfortably hold.
And yes, with maps for iGo/Primo (either Teleatlas\TomTom or Navteq), almost all are split by individual country[color="#FF0000"]**[/color]...so you can pick and choose what you want. Or don't want.

[color="#FF0000"]**[/color]Except for the US, where they may be split by individual State, so a person could conceivably have 48 individual map files for the continental US...and that would not be a problem as long as space is not an issue.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby creative-2009 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:00 pm

To the best of my knowledge the TeleAtlas maps that the TomTom uses are just one combined map for the UK&ROI. You also say that the Primo supports TeleAtlas maps.

So once I've updated the software can I just use the TeleAtlas maps that I've been downloading for the TomTom? That would save me having to download separate maps each time, and would mean that the UK&ROI is just one map file on the Mio.
creative-2009 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:19 pm

No, This is where it gets confusing, so pay attention...:lol:

Teleatlas and Navteq are digital map providers, (There are others around the world)
Most navigation software uses just one provider.
iGO can use several providers.
Even though Tomtom and iGO use Teleatlas they are in separate formats and are not compatible with each other,

A few years ago Tomtom bought Teleatlas, Now Teleatlas maps are known as Tomtom maps for (iGO), But they are still incompatible with each other.

You will see both Teleatlas and Tomtom referred to in the iGO map section for the same maps.

With Tomtom UK and ROI is one map, on iGO the ROI is separate from the UK so you need two maps installed for both.

A map for Tomtom is a folder with several files within, an iGO map is just one file with a .fbl extension.

Just put both {UK}.fbl and {ROI}.fbl in the map folder.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby creative-2009 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:28 am

Fatboyfun wrote:No, This is where it gets confusing, so pay attention...:lol:

Teleatlas and Navteq are digital map providers, (There are others around the world)
Most navigation software uses just one provider.
iGO can use several providers.
Even though Tomtom and iGO use Teleatlas they are in separate formats and are not compatible with each other,

A few years ago Tomtom bought Teleatlas, Now Teleatlas maps are known as Tomtom maps for (iGO), But they are still incompatible with each other.

You will see both Teleatlas and Tomtom referred to in the iGO map section for the same maps.

With Tomtom UK and ROI is one map, on iGO the ROI is separate from the UK so you need two maps installed for both.

A map for Tomtom is a folder with several files within, an iGO map is just one file with a .fbl extension.

Just put both {UK}.fbl and {ROI}.fbl in the map folder.

Okay, that is a little confusing, but all makes sense now. I'll try changing g the software his afternoon and see how I get on.
creative-2009 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 am

The unlock can be undone, and the original software is still available

After the unlock has been installed the device will boot to a desktop with an icon for the original software.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby creative-2009 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

That was straightforward. Using my fingers to operate the file explorer the first time (before I created a short cut) was a bit tricky!

Thanks very much for you help! You've made the whole process very straightforward. It's appreciated.
creative-2009 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:33 pm

The M400 can run TTS, DEM (landscape) and 3D buildings easily, 3D buildings are at best incomplete in the UK
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core