how to show cursor on real GPS position, iGO Primo   

how to show cursor on real GPS position, iGO Primo

Postby joker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Hello, I've been testing this iGO Primo for a few days now, and I must admit that it looks quite good compared to Garmin MobileXT, which I have been using quite successfully for few years. But I still haven't got a chance to see it how it navigates on a long distance trip which is the main purpose of such software.

The first thing that I do not like in Primo is that I don't have an option to see my position on actual GPS position, not always on roads, as there is one in Garmin "show position on roads or on actual GPS position".

I would really appreciate if someone knows how can I change this to share it. Thanks in advance.

P.S. For everybody else that are using this "iGO Primo 2.0 International Edition by Zervdim" and are wondering, as I was, how to change the greek flag for favorites symbol to anything else... do the following:
Change the skin to GjAk v1.08, which is in my opinion the best solution, go to Settings\Map Settings\Place Markers and click on the tools icon in the Favorites row. Then click on the icon which is the current symbol and you are given an option to chose your own icon for favorites. That is, hope that it will help someone.

Cheers,
joker offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 pm

There is an off road navi option in extra settings (I think) that shows actual gps position, not sure whether you need a skin.

I don't have a device near me at the moment to check
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby spirover » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi,
This is very easily done in Primo2,
At the bottom of the screen you see the name of the street you are driving on, by pressing the street label it shows the "GPS position is current" and all other relevant info, much more than Garmin does. :thumbup:
spirover offline

Postby kamoteka » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:11 pm

In primo, by default, the car/cursor is always placed "on road". If the actual gps position is not on the road, primo shows it via a small dark blue dot. If you don't see the small blue dot, it may be covered by the car/cursor when the gps position is really on the actual road.
kamoteka offline

Postby joker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 am

Fatboyfun wrote:There is an off road navi option in extra settings (I think) that shows actual gps position, not sure whether you need a skin.

I don't have a device near me at the moment to check

Nope, I already tried this before posting, it still shows the cursor on roads not on the actual GPS position. Now the only difference is that it shows my actual last known position outside of the road only when I turn on the device before it gets a GPS signal, but once it gets signal it gets back on the road immediately .

spirover wrote:Hi,
This is very easily done in Primo2,
At the bottom of the screen you see the name of the street you are driving on, by pressing the street label it shows the "GPS position is current" and all other relevant info, much more than Garmin does. :thumbup:

This is not what I meant, yes it shows that my gps position is current, but this means that I have a valid GPS signal. I'm looking for a way Primo to show the cursor on my actual position.

kamoteka wrote:In primo, by default, the car/cursor is always placed "on road". If the actual gps position is not on the road, primo shows it via a small dark blue dot. If you don't see the small blue dot, it may be covered by the car/cursor when the gps position is really on the actual road.

Very true, it shows a very small dot where my actual gps position is, but not the cursor. If you know a way how to show the cursor on this position please share it.

Thank you all for your answers. Cheers,
joker offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:37 am

Settings -> Route settings -> Navigation mode -> Off road

The car icon is always on top of the dot when set to off road.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:41 am

There will always be a difference between the actual position in reality (where the car really is, exactly is), the actual position on the map (the dot) and the cursor.

Responsible for this is
(a) the American GPS system, which allows a difference up to 20 meters (I believe) for civil means. The US Army knows her position exactly on the dot.
(b) the SIRF or whatever technology the GPS uses. The newer, the more accurate.
(c) ... I don't know. Maybe there is more.

In iGO (I don't know in Primo), there is a setting which allows to determine the cursors position. Don't ask me now where in the settings, I don't have my device on me. This setting is important in a way. Suppose you are driving on a parallel route (I mean very close to the main road) and the cursor is on the main road. Or the other way around. Routing will be different, but will you be able to follow the proposed route?
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby joker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am

Fatboyfun wrote:Settings -> Route settings -> Navigation mode -> Off road

The car icon is always on top of the dot when set to off road.

Yes it is, but it also does not uses roads to get me to the destination. It shows only a straight line.

nabi wrote:There will always be a difference between the actual position in reality (where the car really is, exactly is), the actual position on the map (the dot) and the cursor.

I'm not asking for a absolute precision, you might misunderstand me. I'm just looking for a setting that does not auto place the cursor on the nearest road.

While I was searching for a suitable version of the program to use, I think that in some sys.txt file saw a line that goes like this:

Code: Select all
show position on gps=1

I suppose this might be the thing I'm looking for but I do not remember the exact syntax.
joker offline

Postby nabi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 am

Since I don't know what exactly you want, a choice:

[debug]
show_gps_pos=1

[navigation]
gps_pos_to_road=1

[strapon]
min_gps_precision=50 ;(0) gps.accuracy
max_gps_precision=100 ;(0) gps.accuracy
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby joker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:30 am

Thank you for answering. Under which [***] should I place these lines. (Example: under [map] or something else)

And can you please clarify what do these lines mean exactly? Thanks.
joker offline

Postby nabi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:21 pm

I updated the higher post with [***].
The meaning and purpose of the Primo sys.txt commands is not documented.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby kamoteka » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:26 pm

There is really no documentation on the sys.txt entries.

Here is what I think these sys.txt entries mean:

[debug]
show_gps_pos=1
; =1 to show the blue dot (actual gps location) on the map
; =0 do not show the blue dot.

[navigation]
gps_pos_to_road=1
; =1 the cursor/car icon should always be on a road (the nearest road).
; =0 the cursor/car icon should be on the actual gps location (this would overlay the blue dot)

I have not tried these sys.txt settings and am not sure if they would work as described, but please report your findings.
kamoteka offline

Postby joker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Well, I have tried the suggested but I did not get what I wanted.

This line
[debug]
show_gps_pos=1 
places a blue dot at the actual gps position, but the main cursor still remains on the nearest road.

This line
[navigation]
gps_pos_to_road=1
doesn't seems to do anything. I have tried with value 0 and 1 and no difference in the interface.

So still no success in what I tried to achieve. I want this option because there is no 100% road coverage in my area so when I drive in an unmarked road, the cursor remains on the last marked road and does not follow my movement. This is why I thought if I manage to make the cursor to be on the actual gps position it will follow my movement no matter that there is no marked road on the map. I have this option with Garmin by default and I thought that I will get the same with iGO, which is much more user friendly and there are many advanced user made skins which let you get the most of your navi. But no, there is no option.

If someone knows how to make this setting in iGO8 (not Primo) please share it, because if I can get this working in iGO8, I will use it instead of Primo.

Cheers,
joker offline

Postby nabi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm

First, I think that

[navigation]
gps_pos_to_road=0

should do what you want. Did you try it "off road"?

For iGO 8.3 (I use 8.3.2.152657 plus Gurjon skin GJ6.18p_da (DVS1&gurjon) ).
Menu - settings - navigation gives me an option (I keep it disabled) "position on the road". I know for sure without testing it on the road right now that when I leave the street and drive - lets say - on a big parking space, the (car)cursor is not on the street but on the parking, while enabling that setting the cursor stays on the road.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 pm

nabi wrote:I know for sure without testing it on the road right now that when I leave the street and drive - lets say - on a big parking space

Same here. Car cursor is always right where I am, on the road, in a parking lot, in my driveway, in my garage, in the middle of a forest, etc.
Sometimes, it may be on something it calls "unnamed road" (obviously could not use for routing), but it's always accurate within the parameters of a usual GPS (+/- 3 to 10 meters) and does not stick to any roads. The only times it might get a little confused is when a minor road is parallel within a few meters of a major road.
Primo 2 with no settings adjustments and nothing in sys.txt.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core