How to install iGO on Windows CE 5.0   

How to install iGO on Windows CE 5.0

Postby KrisBear » Wed May 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Hello,

I was trying to find right topic, I did find one but it did not make sense to me so I am asking here.

I have sat nav Rac 1100 (gogo902) which is running Windows CE 5.0
I want to upgrade that as the system I have one is terrible and maps are only for UK to upgrade maps it cost 10 euro for town which is ridiculous!!

Could someone give me a hand and direct me what steps do I have to make to put iGO on my system ? or maybe iGo Primo which I have already dowloaded or Tom Tom what would be the best ?

Now to my sat nav.
As I said it has Windows CE 5.0 and the UK map and the system is on the memory in the sat nav I have bought memory card for the new system and maps.

The picture shows what is on my sat van and I can provide more pictures for the quick and efficient response.

Thank you very much and I do apologize if I have topic in the wrong section but if it comes to sat navs I am green and didin't know where to put it.

Take care.
KrisBear offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Thu May 31, 2012 4:14 am

Hi, and welcome to Navitotal.
That device is fairly easy to 'upgrade' to different navigation software (what is it running now...Route66?).
First, get the program you want from here:
:link:
For Primo, I would recommend Primo2 from 'me', or for iGo 8.3x from Fatboyfun or Chas521.
Whether iGo 8 or Primo may depend on how much operating memory (RAM) the device has. If it is 128MB you can run just about whatever you like. If it is 64MB, iGo8.3x might be a better choice (Primo will run on 64MB, but more is needed for all optional functions to run well).
Then get whatever maps you need from here:
:link:

Put the Program with Maps on your SD Card.
On your computer, create a new text document with Notepad, and put only a line such as this in it:
\SDMMC\[color="#FF0000"]iGO8[/color]\[color="#008000"]iGO8.exe[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]This[/color] should be the name of the program folder (could be iGo8, Primo2, etc).
[color="#008000"]This[/color] should be the name of the main *.EXE file in that folder (could be iGo.exe, Primo2.exe, etc)

Save your text document as shell.ini. Be sure you are viewing extensions in your File Explorer and take care that it does not get named with a double extension such as shell.txt.ini or shell.ini.txt.

Copy your new shell.ini to the root of ResidentFlash on your device.
Insert your SD Card, reboot the device, and it should load your new program from the SD Card. Follow along with initial setup of the program.

Any more questions, ask here.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby KrisBear » Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello,
Yes it is working on route 66 :)
But I have a problem:
I have downloaded the Primo 2 from this post ---> http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9656-iGo-Primo-2.0-Build-9.6.5.211211-%28Dec-07-2011%29-Torrent
I copied the content to the sd card with all the maps I wanted then I created shell.ini notepad file and paste it in the ResidentFlash folder on the device, I rebooted it but nothing happened.
It looks like sat nav is still using flash memory to run.
Have you got any ideas why is this not working for me?

Thank you for your help,
KRis
KrisBear offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:06 am

Just to be clear, what exactly did you copy to the SD card, and what exactly is the contents of the shell.ini file you created?
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:42 am

With these devices look up the name of the main exe, should be something like R66Navigate7.exe

Rename Primo.exe to match and either (can't remember exactly) place the primo files in the root of the SD card OR in a Route66 folder
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 am

I also read somewhere (can't remember where...it's been a while) that Route66 can be a bit persistent in some cases and must be exited before anything else can run. Or it gets kinda 'stuck'. If so, start the system up and within Route66, exit the software. If you see no way to exit, you may have to look for a file called device.ini, move it to your PC, open with notepad, look for the line NoExitOnMapScreen=1, and change the 1 to a 0 (zero). Save the file, then copy it back to the device in the same location, restart the device, and should now see an Exit button in Route66.

If all else fails (including what Fatboyfun suggested), there is another way...totally replace or delete the Route66 program on the internal storage (ResidentFlash)...but try other things first.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby KrisBear » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Hello,
First of all I would like to apologize for a late reply.
Let's back to the hard and boring bit :)
Below is the picture of what I have copied to the SD card:

and my Shell.inni had inside this : \SDMMC\Primo2\Primo2.exe
Now is the question, should I copy content of Primo2 folder to SD card or should I copy the folder Primo2 to SD card ? I hope that you know what I mean.

Yurbuh Tuggly - Tried what you said aboud changing the NoExitOnMapScreen=1to a 0 but it didn't work. Still have same OS and starts exactly the same :(

Thing which Fatboyfun suggested is hard to understand for me as I don't have R66Navigate.exe on my Device. Question, Should I look for that .exe everywhere in the Device including the Windows folder or just in ResidentailFlash ?
The only .exe files which I have in my ResidentialFlash are (name on bold and rest is their location):
- Computer\WindowsCE\ResidentFlash\Data\.TravelPlayer\LOADER
- Computer\WindowsCE\ResidentFlash\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator
- Computer\WindowsCE\ResidentFlash\poweroff

These are the only .exe files I have.

Thank you for your help and your time.

Regards,
KRis
KrisBear offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Can't quite see your screenshot---much too small.
KrisBear wrote:copy the folder Primo2 to SD card

Copy the entire Primo2 folder to the SD Card (not just the contents of it)
KrisBear wrote:NoExitOnMapScreen=1to a 0 but it didn't work.

So did you then get an "Exit" button in Route66...and did you click it?

The other option (after you EXIT Route 66) is to totally remove the folder on Resident Flash that contains the Route66 software....back up to your PC..that way it cannot possibly start up, and the shell.ini (if in the right place) should tell it to look to that path (\SDMMC\Primo2\Primo2.exe) and run it.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby KrisBear » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 pm

copy the folder Primo2 to SD card ---> Thats waht I did.

I didin't get any "Exit" button. OS just load as normal.

But there was an interesting change of direction.

- I have changed name of my Primo2 folder on my SD card to MobileNavigator and gave same name to the Primo2.exe so it became MobileNavigator.exe
- Forgot to replece the device.inni with the number 1 for NoExitOnMapScreen so I left it with the Value 0 by mistake
- I changed content of Shell.inni to \SDMMC\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe

I got the normal Orange loading scree saying Rac, I cliked on this orange few times as for "fun" as for a few second I got blue screen with writing Igo and little loding screen and after a few second it gone off and couldn't make it happen second time since then.
Everytime I turn my sat nav on I get the orange loading screen saying Rac and then it goes off and nothign happens.

Is this good or bad ? :)

I will try to your method as the last resort :)

Regards,
KRis

edit.
I still can press the screen on sat nav and I hear the usuall "beep" sound but looks like is turned off.

edit2.

I think I got it working as I was plying with the power off/on button and got window which asked to reset to default settings, presend yes and Igo2 with the blue background was loading asked mi to pick language and started to loading and went off again.
now when i start sat nav I got orange Rac message but screen goes off Igo2 shows for a 1sec and I got different sound now when i am pressing the screen.
Strange thing any idea why I can't see anything on my sat nav ? :)

Regards.
KrisBear offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 pm

It looks like using the file structure of ..\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe on the SD card is the one as iGO is now starting but failing to load...

So... Delete the Save folder from the Primo application folder (MobileNavigator) on the SD card, completely shut down your device for a few seconds and then restart.

Note what happens and post the details here...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby KrisBear » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Hello,

EUREKA!!!

OK This is what I did:

- I have changed name of my Primo2 folder on my SD card to MobileNavigator and gave same name to the Primo2.exe so it became MobileNavigator.exe
- I changed content of Shell.inni to \SDMMC\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe

I tried same method with Primo and Primo2. As I said the screen was turning off but sat nav was still working then I realised, when I plugged the sat nav to PC when screen showed with Primo but it couldn't find any satellites.
It looks like Primo needed to be plugged to a power source all the time if not the screen would switch off.

So I tried with Primo2 then Primo and again with Primo2 and now everything is working fine.... It is a strange as before it wouldn't work now it got signal in the house on Primo2 in 10min and it doesn't have to be plugged to any power source.

Works like charm :) :)

I must say very big thank you for you guys as you helped me and were guiding me through all this hard and confusing process :)

Now as I would love to get more knowledge about different sat navs, programs,systems to imnprove my knowledge and help others where should I start ?

Thank you again,
KRis
KrisBear offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Have a read through the tutorials here, there is a wealth of information available.

And congrats, enjoy!
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core