Help with running Primo + IGO8 on same SD card (C320b)   

Help with running Primo + IGO8 on same SD card (C320b)

Postby Drefaldwyn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi everyone and particular thanks to those guys who have put so much work into getting Primo available to us.

I run my IGO8 from the SD card on my C320b. (XTyler's unlock)

Recently I have, more by accident than by knowing exactly what to do, got Primo working on my device. I launch the device by doing a soft restart (3 flashes on the power light), then when Mio starts I briefly press the off button and then press it again to arrive at a screen which offers me the choice of Miomap or IGO8. Primo launches when I touch the IGO8 button, then select Teleatlas.

I never use MioMap nowadays but would like to have the choice of either IGO8 or Primo on the startup screen. Can anyone advise how to achieve this? It would be greatly appreciated if you could help.

Just for info, I extracted the Primo software into my IGO8 folder on the SD card and renamed the IGO executable within that folder to IGO8. Hey Presto .... it works fine except for the minor problem described above.

Thanks,

Dave
Drefaldwyn offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Drefaldwyn wrote:Hi everyone and particular thanks to those guys who have put so much work into getting Primo available to us.

I run my IGO8 from the SD card on my C320b. (XTyler's unlock)

Recently I have, more by accident than by knowing exactly what to do, got Primo working on my device. I launch the device by doing a soft restart (3 flashes on the power light), then when Mio starts I briefly press the off button and then press it again to arrive at a screen which offers me the choice of Miomap or IGO8. Primo launches when I touch the IGO8 button, then select Teleatlas.

I never use MioMap nowadays but would like to have the choice of either IGO8 or Primo on the startup screen. Can anyone advise how to achieve this? It would be greatly appreciated if you could help.

Just for info, I extracted the Primo software into my IGO8 folder on the SD card and renamed the IGO executable within that folder to IGO8. Hey Presto .... it works fine except for the minor problem described above.

Thanks,

Dave

I was taking some time off when I saw your post and thought I would respond. First of all, it sounds like you're using a SD unlock - correct? Did you ever consider using a SD-Free unlock for your Mio? Uses less memory and makes no changes to the registry. Next question, where did you get the Primo program? If you had downloaded mine that I uploaded here, it was already completely modified for a Mio C320 [mine]. Take a look at my signature line.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Drefaldwyn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply Chas.

I am using the SD unlock & downloaded your Primo version and put it on SD card as described in my post. Clearly I've got it wrong somewhere. Somewhere in the mists of my poor memory I think I may have also tried an SD free unlock at one time or another but may have had trouble getting it to work (my own fault I'm sure!!). This was done in my early SatNav days and I was a bit unsure about what I could safely do to the software on the device without messing it up.

With regard to your signature, I guess that I wrongly assumed that you were running an SD unlock.

Which SD free unlock do you recommend?

Thanks for your patience,

Dave
Drefaldwyn offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Drefaldwyn wrote:Many thanks for the quick reply Chas.

I am using the SD unlock & downloaded your Primo version and put it on SD card as described in my post. Clearly I've got it wrong somewhere. Somewhere in the mists of my poor memory I think I may have also tried an SD free unlock at one time or another but may have had trouble getting it to work (my own fault I'm sure!!). This was done in my early SatNav days and I was a bit unsure about what I could safely do to the software on the device without messing it up.

With regard to your signature, I guess that I wrongly assumed that you were running an SD unlock.

Which SD free unlock do you recommend?

Thanks for your patience,

Dave

Dave,
First of all, only a thanks is necessary [nice] not patience. Xtyler92 created a SD-Free unlock just for me although it really can be used by anyone with a Mio except the MOOV series. I'll upload it here. I'm almost positive that it has the installation instruction contained inside the download. So stay tuned now.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Drefaldwyn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:16 pm

My that was quick!

I'll have a go at it during the next few days and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Dave
Drefaldwyn offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Drefaldwyn wrote:My that was quick!

I'll have a go at it during the next few days and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Dave

Just remember Dave that you need to return all the files you presently renamed to their original names. Then proceed but you'll also need to delete the other unlock and I hope that you still have my Primo that I uploaded in the original download before you installed it.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Drefaldwyn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:30 pm

chas521 wrote:Just remember Dave that you need to return all the files you presently renamed to their original names. Then proceed but you'll also need to delete the other unlock and I hope that you still have my Primo that I uploaded in the original download before you installed it.

OK Chas I'll be careful to follow your instructions to the letter. I still have the original Primo download and a backup of my SD card made before I changed anything. I'll also make a backup of the software on the C320.

Hopefully this will allow me to retrace my steps if it all goes belly-up.

Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I won't be able to have a go at it until the weekend.

Kind regards,

Dave
Drefaldwyn offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Drefaldwyn wrote:OK Chas I'll be careful to follow your instructions to the letter. I still have the original Primo download and a backup of my SD card made before I changed anything. I'll also make a backup of the software on the C320.

Hopefully this will allow me to retrace my steps if it all goes belly-up.

Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I won't be able to have a go at it until the weekend.

Kind regards,

Dave

Dave,
Let me give you more instruction. Follow it exactly.

1. Rename all the files to their original names.

2. Delete the unlock you are presently using.

3. Install the new unlock.

4. Backup all your content!

5. Format your SD card using FAT32.

6. Extract my iGO 8.3 to your SD card. How: Using "Winrar", extract from the first page where ONLY the iGO8 folder is showing.

7. Same as #6 with my Primo.

8. FYI, the iGO folder and the Primo folder are separate. Not one inside the other.

I will post a screenshot of my SD card and internal flash here:482480481

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Drefaldwyn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 pm

You're a star! I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave
Drefaldwyn offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Drefaldwyn wrote:You're a star! I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave

This is what I do. Help if I can. One other recommendation, all programs should have their own content. It prevents a lot of errors from happening.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Drefaldwyn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Chas,

As promised ..... some feedback.

I couldn't wait for the weekend so today I installed the unlock and software exactly as you explained and it worked fine. I imported the content from my old IGO8 into the new IGO8 and Primo folders just to see if it was compatible and sure enough, after a bit of "tweaking" to suit my own personal settings, it's good.

It's early days yet but I like the Primo user interface for navigation but prefer the IGO8 (GJ 6.17 skin) for general use where I don't need directions but appreciate the facility to display a digital speedometer/speedcam warnings. Perhaps GJ will sort this out for Primo in due course (I'm currently using his Primo 1.10 skin) together with a fix for the speedcam warnings in Primo which currently are displayed in Kmh as opposed to mph (the speed limits are shown in mph). I fully appreciate that it's relatively early days for Primo so these comments are by no means a criticism of Gurjon, far from it! I have used his skins from day 1 and greatly appreciate his work in producing some fantastic skins for us all to enjoy and I've no doubt that he is currently beavering away on his next update.

I've yet to test the system in "real" conditions but it's looking good on a drive around the block.

Once again, many thanks for your help Chas (and to Gurjon for his skins),

Dave
Drefaldwyn offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Drefaldwyn wrote:Hi Chas,

As promised ..... some feedback.

I couldn't wait for the weekend so today I installed the unlock and software exactly as you explained and it worked fine. I imported the content from my old IGO8 into the new IGO8 and Primo folders just to see if it was compatible and sure enough, after a bit of "tweaking" to suit my own personal settings, it's good.

It's early days yet but I like the Primo user interface for navigation but prefer the IGO8 (GJ 6.17 skin) for general use where I don't need directions but appreciate the facility to display a digital speedometer/speedcam warnings. Perhaps GJ will sort this out for Primo in due course (I'm currently using his Primo 1.10 skin) together with a fix for the speedcam warnings in Primo which currently are displayed in Kmh as opposed to mph (the speed limits are shown in mph). I fully appreciate that it's relatively early days for Primo so these comments are by no means a criticism of Gurjon, far from it! I have used his skins from day 1 and greatly appreciate his work in producing some fantastic skins for us all to enjoy and I've no doubt that he is currently beavering away on his next update.

I've yet to test the system in "real" conditions but it's looking good on a drive around the block.

Once again, many thanks for your help Chas (and to Gurjon for his skins),

Dave

:thumbup: Dave, You did good!

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Bump because I think this is a good thread.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby egpwii » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:35 pm

chas521 wrote:Dave,
First of all, only a thanks is necessary [nice] not patience. Xtyler92 created a SD-Free unlock just for me although it really can be used by anyone with a Mio except the MOOV series. I'll upload it here. I'm almost positive that it has the installation instruction contained inside the download. So stay tuned now.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

How do i copy to the internal disc on mio? and how do i make a backup?

thanks
Erik
egpwii offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 pm

egpwii wrote:How do i copy to the internal disc on mio? and how do i make a backup?

thanks
Erik

Good questions. First, I keep all my backups on a flash USB drive. Insofar as putting it on the internal drive, I don't believe in doing that because I like to operate from my SD card in case something goes wrong. If it comes down to a storaqe memory problem, that's a different ballgame. Remember "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core