Help with a Chinese YF brand GPS (iGo Primo on Win CE 6)!   

Help with a Chinese YF brand GPS (iGo Primo on Win CE 6)!

Postby etmilosk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello dear friends, this is my first post here and I am glad to be a part of this very promising community!

I came here to seek help with a Chinese GPS unit I bought on eBay:
[Please Register or Login to download file]

I have found out that the device manufacturer is YF International and the model number is SKU 39243.

The device came with an iGo Amigo loaded on SD card. Upon switching it on, I set time and started Amigo, but the only thing it showed was "Autodetecting GPS receiver". I checked the SD card and found no sys.txt file on it.

I then downloaded iGo Primo (because I wanted to have Primo) and loaded it on the SD card. The downloaded Primo had an sys.txt file with no GPS info in it. I tried to use it like that, but it would just say "Autodetecting GPS receiver". I then made a GPS port and baud entry in the sys.txt file and experimented with different combinations. After many attempts, I found the combination for this device on internet (port 1 and baud 4800) and put that into the sys.txt file. I started Primo and it finally said "Looking for satellites". It found a GPS fix very quickly and everything was fine. I put the device to sleep and went to bed myself.

Next morning, I turn on the device and Primo says "Autodetecting GPS receiver" again. I switch it off and on again, and it's still the same. The sys.txt file is still there with all the needed info. Now, when I turn on the device, in it's menu there is a GPS Info icon. When that icon is clicked it shows the following info:

Signal State: Invalid
Latitude: 0.0000000
Longitude: 0.0000000
Altitude: 0.0000000
UTC: 2000/1/1 0:0:0
Total Satellites: 0
Satellites in use: 0
Speed: 0.00000 km/h

There is also a refresh-like button that asks "Are you sure to reset GPS satellite receiver" when clicked. When I clicked that it set the UTC time to accurate system time and showed some satellites. I started Primo and it showed "Looking for satellites" and worked like a charm. One more thing I noticed that morning is that system time is one hour late. I set it before clicking the GPS Info icon.

Next day, the system time was one hour late again (the time zone is set), and I corrected it. Since then I tried all sorts of things to get it working and nothing works. The UTC time in GPS Info application is always 2000/1/1 and 0:0:0. Clicking the "refresh" button does nothing. The Primo displays "Autodetecting GPS receiver" all the time. I tried resetting the unit with a hardware reset button and nothing. I have even tried turning on the GPS receiver through a system program called GPS Viewer 1.3 that I found in Windows folder and it shows that the GPS is on, but no satellites and no GPS fix.

The unit's receiver is clearly working, I have used it for navigation that single time and it worked normally.
But since then everything is f***ed up.

Do you have any idea what I should do?

I'm not sure whether I should flash the device (or whether I can find its flash version), and I'm not so keen to flash it since it's new, I got like 4 days ago.

This is the system info:

Rom Version: 82F.2018.36M2584Q
Software Version: V3.6.E018.12.3
OEM Info: YF Atlas4
Platform ID: 5955414E46454E47
Device ID: 0000000000000000 (16 zeroes)
SD Card ID: 606007AF

and this is my sys.txt file:

Code: Select all
[device]
type="YF SKu 39243"

[gps]
port=1
baud=4800

[interface]
show_minimize=1
show_exit=1

[sound]
csv_voice_enabled=1

[debug]
experimental_features="1"

[network]
available="1"

I hope someone can help me!

Thank you!
etmilosk offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

That is some explicit post. From how I read it, it appears that you were successful in getting the program to work except for the date/time parts. That information is not retained in memory. So changing it to the proper information one time will not show up that way the next time. Don't worry, completely normal. It will change back to the correct information when you get a real satellite lock.

Do not flash your device - not recommended except as a last resort.

Finally, welcome to Navitotal! You'll find excellent support guidance and contents here.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby etmilosk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for your reply Chas...

Yes, you're right, I have got it to work one time, but only that one time. The iGo software seems to be working normally, except for the fact that it still tries to detect the GPS receiver although it has the port and baud rate set in the sys.txt file. I'm also not sure whether the UTC time in the GPS Info application is time from GPS satellites (that would make sense, since it had no satellite fix since the last reset), or the system time.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!
etmilosk offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 pm

UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) is what the GPS satellites broadcast, After a reset, and before a satellite lock, your device won't have this set.

For reference, Autodetecting GPS receiver means that Primo can't find the GPS hardware, While Looking for satellites means it has but hasn't locked onto them yet.

According to a quick Google search the com port and baud rate for this device are correct.

Just to confirm, Did you try adding a sys.txt to the Amigo application with the GPS settings? It could just be a bad download of Primo, If you get EXACTLY the same problem with another copy of iGO it may be a faulty unit. You don't normally need to tweak devices to get iGO to run, iGO does this for you.

Also did you go outside (and remain stationary-ish) for around 20-30 minutes the first time you tried to get a satellite lock?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby etmilosk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) is what the GPS satellites broadcast, After a reset, and before a satellite lock, your device won't have this set.

For reference, Autodetecting GPS receiver means that Primo can't find the GPS hardware, While Looking for satellites means it has but hasn't locked onto them yet.

According to a quick Google search the com port and baud rate for this device are correct.

Just to confirm, Did you try adding a sys.txt to the Amigo application with the GPS settings? It could just be a bad download of Primo, If you get EXACTLY the same problem with another copy of iGO it may be a faulty unit. You don't normally need to tweak devices to get iGO to run, iGO does this for you.

Also did you go outside (and remain stationary-ish) for around 20-30 minutes the first time you tried to get a satellite lock?

Yes, I just tried using the originally supplied Amigo with the above sys.txt file but it also just says "Autodetecting GPS receiver". I did spend a lot of time outside but it says "Autodetecting GPS receiver", and not "Looking for satellites". I don't get it why it says this when it has the port and baud set (and that combination proved to be correct since I was able to use it the other day).

Thanks!
etmilosk offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 pm

If you're changing the com port and baud rate, you should delete the save folder to clear all the settings as well

BUT...

Two different versions of iGO software and GPS viewer built into the device, All with the same problem.

Common denominator = Hardware

I suspect a faulty unit, If it's only four days old, I'd send it back for refund/replacement.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 pm

I have two YF device here and so far never a problem getting IGO or Primo to run on it.
And I admit that I sometimes use quite big sys.txt files.
One thing I noticed over the time is that the devices with 3d menus seem to initialise the GPS during the start for some stupid reason.
That actually blocks the GPS to used by a GPS software.
I use a custom menu that is started automatically instead of a GPS software, from this menu I start my programs and never had problem since.
You can get quite a few roms for YF devices, but flashing is only recommended to change the language if the device is in chinese - and for that you don't use the complete firmware.
If the thing detects satellites and adjusts the time than the GPS is working.
Not sure if it helps, but here are my sys.txt files for Primo and IGO :
PRIMO

[vr]
;disabled=0

[lua]
:tmcwaspresented=1

[debug]
experimental_features="1"
skip_platformlock=1 ;(0) hmmm...
skip_wce6_deviceid=1 ;(0) hmmm...

[network]
available="0"

[folders]
;app="SDMMC\primo", according to your device instead of Storage Card write SDMMC or sdcard
;content="\SDMMC\primo\content"
;map = "\SDMMC\primo\content\map"
;kmlpoi = "userdata\poi";"content\userdata\poi"
;kmlroute = "userdata\"route";"content\userdata\"route"
;has_secondary_root=0; must have in sys.txt if you have other navs on same SD card
;tts_nua_v5="\SDMMC\primo\tts_nua_v5"
;tts_loq="\SDMMC\primo\TTS_LOQ"      ;needs loqmsx.dll LoqTTS6.dll LoqTTS6_util.dll LoqDutch6.5.dll

[dynamiccompressor]
compressor=1
a0=56806
thrs=24703
ratio=8
gain=10

[debug]
skip_eula=1
enable_roadshadow=1
;log_1="\SDMMC\_debug.log::5
tmc_all_stations=1
hnr=1
show_hnr=1
show_lane_info=1

[interface]
show_exit=1
resolution_dir="800_480"
vga=1

[gps]
;port=2
;baud=4800
;background_navigation=1
;disable_advanced=0

[rawdisplay]
driver="GDI"
highres=0
screen_x=800
screen_y=480
class="landscape"

[warning]
speedcam_warning="1"

[sound]
csv_voice_enabled=1
sound_q_length=200
queue_length=200
ding=0
sound_volume=255
use_os_volume=0

[tts]
tts_min_ready_wav=1   ;(0)
tts_getaway_time=400   ;(0)
tts_expected_engine_delay=1200   ;(0)
tts_buffer=32786
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
announce_street_name=1
skip_exit_numbers=0
automatic_direction_conversion=1 ;(1)
announce_exit_directions=1   ;(0) 1 says first place on exit sign, 2 say road name
skip_exit_numbers=0         ;(0) 1 or 2?
skip_road_numbers=0   ;(0) 1 or 2
always_say_road_names=2      ;(0) 1 or 2 or 3 (Rijksweg A4)

[other]
demo_enabled=0   ;1 No demo button in navigate
;multiple_voice=0   ;(0) Uses english tts voice for alerts :)

[tmc]
;enable_flow_icons=1   ;(0) need $traffic_speed.spr
;enable_flow_events=1      ;(0) haven't seen any flowing
;flow_stripe_blinking_time=1000   ;(0) in msecs
;show_all_provider_list=1   ;(0)
;near_provider_distance_km=100 ;(30)
;auto_band_search_up=0   ;(0)
;auto_tuning=1
;use_new_standard=1
ignore_sid=1

[traffic.settings]
;load_default_traffic_settings=1   ;config/tmcsettings.ini
;traffic_enabled=1
;use_extra_setting_for_flow_events=1
;use_speed_color_codes=1
;flow_speed_coloring=4   ;(4)
;always_use_flow_coloring=1   ;(0)
;announce_recalc_on_auto_only=1   ;(0)
;detour_acceptance_mode=2
;detour_spare_time_threshold=900   ; detour if 15 minutes lost due to traffic

[navigation]
sim_speed_factor=3.0

[interface]
skin="ui_igo9"
extra_settings=1
vga=0
resolution_dir="800_480"
recalc_voice=0
laneinfo_signpost_enabled=1
maxzoom2d=6000000
show_exit=1
shutdown_time=0
exit_on_restart=0

IGO

[project]
name="igo8_pda"

[gps]
background_navigation=1

disable_advanced=0

[interface]
vga=0
skin="ui_igo8"
resolution_dir="800_480"

[rawdisplay]
class="landscape"
highres=0
screen_x=800
screen_y=480

[map]
3d_roads=1
3d_tunnels=1
2dheadup=1
3d_max_tiltlevel=10000
3d_max_zoomlevel=3000
3d_min_zoomlevel=10
3d_max_zfar=2000
3d_scale_carmodel=1
3dcarsizemin = 2500
3dcarsizemax = 5000
3dcarsizemul = 15000

[navigation]
show_current_city=1

[sound]
ding=0
queue_length=200
suspend_time=100
;suspend_time=200
use_os_volume=1

[tts]
;tts_buffer=131072
tts_buffer=250000
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_names=1
announce_street_name=1
announce_exit_directions=1
skip_exit_numbers=1
supress_Prepare_to=1
supress_straight=1
supress_highway_enter=1

[3d]
show_guidance_arrows=1
show_guidance_strips=1
car_day = "car_blaupunkt.mdl"
car_night = "car_blaupunkt.mdl"

[3d_config]
roadsign_lines_per_screen=20

[smartzoom]
minangle=0
maxangle=80

[power]
backlight_day=100
backlight_night=34

[debug]
cache=2048
skip_eula=1
disable_outlookpoi=1
;show_performance=0 ; puts coloured bars at top of screen for RAM, CPU etc
reserve_memory=2500000
;added new april20th for speeding up tts voice
tts_min_ready_wav="1"
tts_getaway_time="100"
sound_q_length="200"
;no_file_cache="0"
;cache="1024"
supress_trivial_left=1 ; do not announce left turns that are just a slight bend in the road
supress_trivial_right=1 ; do not announce right turns that are just a slight bend in the road

[navigation]
sim_speed_factor=2.0
show_current_city=1

[switchmap]
changer="\Storagecard\iGO8\Extension\MapChanger\MapChanger.exe"
1=",map_ta,\Storagecard\iGO8,\Storagecard\iGO8,"
2=",map_nt,\Storagecard\iGO8,\Storagecard\iGO8,"
3=",map_ot,\Storagecard\iGO8,\Storagecard\iGO8,"

Not all of it is really necessary and your main interest will be the GPS port, but it might be useful for you later on.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby etmilosk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:09 am

Fatboyfun wrote:If you're changing the com port and baud rate, you should delete the save folder to clear all the settings as well

BUT...

Two different versions of iGO software and GPS viewer built into the device, All with the same problem.

Common denominator = Hardware

I suspect a faulty unit, If it's only four days old, I'd send it back for refund/replacement.

Yeah, but it worked two days ago! Is it possible that I've broken it somehow? I haven't done anything to its hardware. Also, is it possible that I changed the GPS port in the system somehow? That came across my mind and I'm trying different ports right now.

Downunder35m wrote:I have two YF device here and so far never a problem getting IGO or Primo to run on it.
And I admit that I sometimes use quite big sys.txt files.
One thing I noticed over the time is that the devices with 3d menus seem to initialise the GPS during the start for some stupid reason.
That actually blocks the GPS to used by a GPS software.
I use a custom menu that is started automatically instead of a GPS software, from this menu I start my programs and never had problem since.
You can get quite a few roms for YF devices, but flashing is only recommended to change the language if the device is in chinese - and for that you don't use the complete firmware.
If the thing detects satellites and adjusts the time than the GPS is working.
Not sure if it helps, but here are my sys.txt files for Primo and IGO :

Not all of it is really necessary and your main interest will be the GPS port, but it might be useful for you later on.

Thanks. I tried to load Primo with your sys.txt file but when I clicked on the icon (to load Primo), the unit would just restart. I put back my old sys.txt and it loads normally.

Also, in my unit's menu, there is a choice whether or not navigation software should be started at system startup. I disabled that option so I have to manually start Primo (there is a GPS icon and a user-changeable path associated with that icon).
etmilosk offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:11 am

Have you tried just to use and activate the gps settings in the sys.txt?
Ususally IGO and Primo make no problems on the YFAtlas devices.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby etmilosk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 am

Downunder35m wrote:Have you tried just to use and activate the gps settings in the sys.txt?
Ususally IGO and Primo make no problems on the YFAtlas devices.

I'm not sure what do you mean, how would I exactly just use and activate gps setting in sys.txt?

Side info: I contacted the seller yesterday and they replied saying that I should enter

port="1"
baud="57600"

in system.ini file in the Save folder. I have tried that and this happened: the Primo showed "Autodetecting GPS receiver" again, and then just for a few seconds it showed "Looking for satellites", and then switched back to "Autodetecting GPS receiver", and stayed like that.

So, my layman's guess on what's going on here is that its GPS receiver is off and comes on for just a second or two.

Have you ever encountered a case where a device's GPS receiver was faulty but the port and baud were set correctly? Maybe in such a case iGo software would display "Autodetecting GPS receiver", since the receiver is not functioning?

Again, thanks!
etmilosk offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:08 am

Nope, never it happen like that.
Once the GPS is detected it should be activated and stay activated.
Considering the problem was already with the software installed by the seller I have to assume some sort of hardware problem.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 am

I agree with FBF and Downunder:
Erratic or intermittent behavior as you describe almost invariably points to a hardware failure.
Nothing you have done (or can do) would cause this....and possibly nothing you can do to correct it except to get the unit replaced.

PS. Kudos on your first post in this thread. Very complete and very informative.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby etmilosk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Downunder35m wrote:Nope, never it happen like that.
Once the GPS is detected it should be activated and stay activated.
Considering the problem was already with the software installed by the seller I have to assume some sort of hardware problem.

Thanks! I have sent a reply to the seller and now I'm waiting on his next move.

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:I agree with FBF and Downunder:
Erratic or intermittent behavior as you describe almost invariably points to a hardware failure.
Nothing you have done (or can do) would cause this....and possibly nothing you can do to correct it except to get the unit replaced.

PS. Kudos on your first post in this thread. Very complete and very informative.

Thanks, I needed to hear that. As I've said, let's see what the seller has to say, I guess he's going to ask me to return the unit. And thanks, I'm an active member myself on a couple of photography forums and I like when people watch what they write. :)
etmilosk offline

Postby hairydog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:14 pm

etmilosk wrote:
[device]
type="YF SKu 39243"

I would try commenting out the device type line
hairydog offline

Postby etmilosk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:00 pm

hairydog wrote:I would try commenting out the device type line

I just tried what you suggested and the same thing happens, just displays "Autodetecting GPS receiver", all the time.
I deleted the [device] line completely, so now the first line in sys.txt is [gps].

Thanks!
etmilosk offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core