Help activating speedcams warnings   

Help activating speedcams warnings

Postby Saltire » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi folks. Bought a "Rage" Chinese GPS unit (128MB, 480x272 display) 'cos its waterproof so perfect for use on the motorbike, and had first test with it over the weekend in the car. With the useful tips and help on here I got iGO 8.3.5 up and running with UK map no problem, and unit works well so very happy with it (and the money saved not paying over the odds for one of the well known brand bike specific gps units!). I'm new to playing about with the iGO set-up and only thing I couldn't seem to get set-up correctly was speedcam warnings. No skins installed, and have a minimal sys.txt with only [rawdisplay] entry for resolution settings, plus the following lines that I thought would activate the speed cam warnings:

[warning]
speedcam_enabled=1
speedcam_warning=1

Downloaded a set of EU speedcam txt files and copied them into the content\speedcam folder. Deleted the save folder, restarted iGO and ran through the setup, and now had the option for speed cams in the program Settings > Warnings menu activated, so clicked to select and set the options up.

Only problem is I passed 2 speedcams but didn't get any visual or audio warnings via iGO, used my eyes anyway so spotted them but it will be very handy to have this working before touring in Europe on the bike later this year.

Any clues as to what I have done wrong or missed to get the speedcam warnings working? I guess it's possible that the speedcams I passed weren't in the database, but txt files appear to be from 2014, and one of the cameras has been there and operating for at least 10 years as I pass it nearly every day. Checked the speedcam folder and the database file seems to have been generated from the txt files ok, the speedcamupdates file looks empty (has a size of 0kB I think) but not sure if that's a problem or not.

Any help/ideas/suggestions most welcome, thanks.
Saltire offline

Re: Help activating speedcams warnings

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:25 pm

A lot of the UK cameras were turned off and removed from various databases, but it might be worth going through iGO's settings again as there are loads of tweaks to be made, (especially with a skin installed)

Failing that, check the speedcam files contain UK cameras in your area as I don't rate those free speedcam updates as they are not complete.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:04 am

Also, AFTER getting a satellite lock, turn on the speedcam warnings in the settings. Plus click on the three dots next to the warning setting and choose an option.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Saltire » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 am

Cheers, maybe that the two just weren't in the database, might have to try and check.

@chas521 yep did that as noticed the option doesn't appear unless you get a sat lock.

Going to try a Primo version as well anyway and see which I prefer. Only slight drawback with these Chinese cheapos is the backlighting, as even set on max makes the screen hard to see in bright conditions. Need to see if a skin / scheme will help.
Saltire offline

Postby symon888 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:43 pm

I have one of the earlier 3.5 inch units (Peaklife branded as bluetronics) which i've used on the bike for 3 years now in all weather and love it. Wish I'd bought 2 at the time. Anyway I've just ordered a rage as a second unit for my wifes bike. do you have any links to posts on here for setting the IGO software up that you did ?
cheers
symon888 offline

Postby Trucker14 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:48 pm

I have used the ''Rage'' for about 2 years and had good success with it. I have just got the 5 inch screen version and hope it will be as good.

If this is any help. my setup is this.

The Primo 2.4 and the well up to date maps that you will find here on Navitotal. The instructions come with them which is a huge help.

Install on to a mini SD card. I have tried installing to the internal memory but have found all work better on the SD card. Why I don't know.

Make sure the Global cfg is as up to date as you can get. Again you will find that here.

Because of what in my opinion is a fairly small processor in these cheapo satnavs, only use the maps that you need. I had a couple of instances of the satnav running out of memory as I had all of Europe installed. Cutting down sorted that. Also only use the 'Branding' that comes with the Primo 2.4 . I found the addon colour icon pack caused memory problems as well.

I am by no means an expert but by following the instructions and a bit of headscratching all has worked well and not let me down. There is now the same setup on the new 5 inch jobbie.

When the Speedcam file is put in the Speedcam folder (you can find speedcams here or at 'Pioplaza') it should be a txt file. When the satnav starts up it will take a short while for the satnav to read it the first time, so dont panic if the bar at startup looks stuck, its not, it just takes a while. I put all Europe Speedcams in and it seems fine. And it is 1 file so less hassle.

To get Speedcams and icons to show, there is a setting that needs turning on and it gives a list of warnings. Also you need the verbal and visual setting activated. Problem I have at the mo is the satnav is on my bike so not in front of me to tell you exactly where to find it!. Told you I wasn't an expert!.

I had my 'Rage' bluetoothed through my Starcom intercom with the BTM-02 unit. Weather or not it connects to a bluetooth helmet (Cardo Scala type) I don't know. The new one is Bluetoothed through a Shark radio to the Starcom and seems to work well if that info is any help.
Trucker14 offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core