Having trouble loading iGo onto car headunit.   

Having trouble loading iGo onto car headunit.

Postby colml » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi all,
I have been trying to update the sat nav on my Navsure n400i headunit in my car.

I've tried using iGo Primo, iGo8.3 and a stripped down 2Din version of iGo, with no success with any of them. I'm 99% sure I've set the memory card up correctly and configured my sys.txt and data.zip files correctly as well.

I keep getting an error message as follows:

Updating navigation system, please wait.
Deleting _us
Could not delete '_us', Error code: 2
Failed to delete files.

The system then reverts back to the Loading... text and this loop continues ad infinitum.

I was wondering if anybody had experienced a similar issue? I have searched hi and lo for this file to no avail, I'm thinking it's stored on the headunit internal memory.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Colm
colml offline

Postby Yurbuh Yuggly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:51 pm

It sounds to me like the unit is attempting to take the data from the memory card and "install it" to it's main program memory--which it fails to do as what you have on the memory card does not match the original software on the unit and probably cannot be done without unlocking, which may likely brick the unit.
Even Halfords says "No, there are no plans to offer iGo on the Navsure". You may be stuck with it's software. Reviews on the unit (a cursory Google search) are not stellar.
Yurbuh Yuggly offline

Banned Users

Postby colml » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey Yurbuh Yuggly, thanks for the swift reply.

Yeah the iGo data gets divided up into two folders:
Navigation; which contains all the application data
iGo; which contains all the content like maps and poi's.

The n400i installs the Navigation folder onto the internal memory.
The sat nav software that is on the original memory card is iGo, not sure which version.
I was speaking to another member of these forums who was helping me the Navsure, and he did not have this problem. However his was a n420i and mine is a n400i, havn't been able to find any documentation about differences between these two versions. He has managed to get working versions of Primo and 8.3 running on his. That's why I was wondering if anybody had a similar issue, I reckon it's my headunit in particular as opposed to the brand that's giving me this problem.
What do you mean by unlocking by the way? Is this like 'jailbreaking' the headunit so it can load non-signed sat nav software?
colml offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm sure we had a thread recently where the user managed to get iGO onto a navsure unit only to find that it originally used a modified version that used a different audio route that the updated iGO couldn't use, No sound was the result. I'll look for the thread.

EDIT: Here it is... :link:
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby colml » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Fatboyfun,
Thanks for the reply.
I was already PMing @murty and he was very helpful regarding the setup for the navsure headunit. However, it seems that he was able to update the sat nav software relatively easy, which I'm fairly certain at this point I was able to emulate.
It appears that my device seems to be complaining about a particular file named "_us" that looks like it resides in the internal memory of the navsure headunit. I'm not sure if it's even possible to access this section of the device.
I'm pretty sure that the navsure is a Chinese device that Halfords rebranded (with a hefty markup, no doubt :-( ) so I'm wondering if any of your forum members had any similar issues with perhaps another brand of headunit? It starts to look promising as it loads but gets interrupted by the failure to delete this particular file. It has me puzzled :doh:
Cheers,
Colm
colml offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:23 am

Can you get a file explorer like Total Commander to run? I don't know this device personally but i'm sure murty will give you all the help you need.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby colml » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi,
I tried loading Total Commander from the SD card today while on the way to work. I put a copy of the tcmdwince.exe and also a copy which i renamed to Navigation.exe (Which is the filename the headunit requires to load the sat nav software).

However, I keep getting that damn _us error. I think it must be my particular headunit that's defective in some way, perhaps the files on the internal memory is corrupted. The original maps still load fine which is a bit strange.
colml offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Is there any file on the original card that has "_us" in it's filename, Could try copying it to the new card, it might not want to delete it then. Also if you copied all the original files to the new card does it still try to overwrite the internal memory, igo may not work on the copied card but should at least start and give an error. Then you could add the new files to it. Don't forget to turn on show hidden and system files first.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby colml » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Right I tried searching for a file associated with _us and it's definitely not on the SD card. It must be on the internal memory.
I tried copying the original files onto the new card and it threw out an error:
HardwareIDerror
as well as the usual _us file error.
I also tried copying the newer sat nav files onto the original card to see if that would work. But that threw out the usual _us file error.
colml offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm

I would say there is file corruption on the internal memory, I am not sure how to fix it however in the thread i linked to in a previous post WayneG said he had found a service manual for his device, It may contain instructions on how to format the internal memory. Send him a PM and ask if he would share the manual

I'm fairly certain I found out why I have no sound. I found a service manual for my head unit that has full schematics which helped. The audio ouput from the navi component of the unit is routed to the main board, but there's also a serial connection between the 2. My guess is that the custom igo program that it came with, 'tells' the main unit that there is about to be some sound from navi part, and mutes (or attenuates) the audio that is playing at the time and lets the navi voice come through. The standard iGO/Primo apps that i've tried to run, don't have these extra functions to tell the main unit to let it play through.

If I was motivated enough I'd build a small circuit that tapped into the audio channels, that would mute the main source automatically when a signal was detected from the navi audio output. But as I'm only going to sell this particular head unit anyway (for an upgrade) I don't think it's worth it.

I think the same thing would've been happening with murty, but the intermittent one is probably something different. Hope this helps anyway.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core