No GPS signal from IGO8 core   

No GPS signal from IGO8 core

Postby retailguy » Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I found this site a few days ago while looking for maps for my valor ddn-868W. I found this thread:

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9094-Valor-ddn-868w-with-gogo-maps-from-engistech

I downloaded the IGO8 core (and extracted via WINRAR) that chas521 posted from his march 2011 thread referenced in the above thread. I edited the sys.txt file with the suggestions that he made for my screen resolution 800X480, and from post #15 in this thread:

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?7708-Help!-Installing-iGO-8.3-Picture-goes-all-white-and-rolls!/page2&highlight=chas521

I am in the US, so I downloaded the Navteq maps via torrent from this thread:

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?12963-US-CANADA-NAVTEQ-2012.Q4-Direct-Download

I extracted all the maps/poi/dem to the proper directories also using WINRAR.

When I load IGO for the first time, it asks the proper questions, and I get it set up and the core loaded. I don't have a GPS signal, and cannot change the country from the "Hungary" default. I also don't think I have voice services, but am unsure since I can't select anything. I do get beeps when making selections though.

Initially, I had the same issues as gsthunder in this thread (regarding the program crash from page 6?), but redownloading the files and extracting them over again seems to have fixed that issue and the program fully loads now.

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?12544-Newbie-Question-For-Loading-IGO8

I'm new to this, my original SD card uses the GOGO maps, so I'm not very familiar with IGO8 and am probably doing something wrong. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When I use the original program the GPS locks fine and the program works as intended. But the maps are from 2011 and there appears to be no update available. I also cannot find a sys.txt file on the original GOGO SD card, FWIW.

Any help is appreciated.
retailguy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun May 05, 2013 11:04 pm

You just need to setup the GPS settings...

Find your way to the GPS setup in the menu, then follow the instructions in the first post on this page...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?12437-Motor-gps/page4
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby retailguy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:14 pm

I now have a GPS signal! (THANK YOU!) But as I suspected I have no voice directions. The radio pauses, it dings as if to speak, but then silence and then the radio comes back on. Any suggestions?
retailguy offline

Postby chas521 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I suggest that you read the gsthunder thread again [especially at the end, I think it's post #153 and 155] to see how he got the voice back. As I recall, he used his program and copied the data.zip and license from mine to his. I think that is.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby retailguy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes, I've read that. However, my original software is not IGO, it uses gogo maps. None of the files are remotely similar. While I haven't tried moving them as he did, I can't imagine that it would work. Different file names, directories, etc.
retailguy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Check the obvious first...

Are all the volume sliders set to maximum?
Nothing is muted?
You are using a compatible (non TTS) voice, and you get the short demo speech?

If you are getting the ding sound, then sound is working.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby retailguy » Mon May 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Yes, both sliders are set to maximum. I am using chas's modified "susan" voice and do not get the demo speech. I do get the ding sound and a pause of silence where the voice should be.
retailguy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon May 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Did you try with a non-tts voice?

What voices do you have available in the settings within iGO?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm

retailguy wrote:Yes, both sliders are set to maximum. I am using chas's modified "susan" voice and do not get the demo speech. I do get the ding sound and a pause of silence where the voice should be.

Just want you to know that the greeting from Susan's voice might take as long as 20 seconds to hear. Give it some time after choosing it.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby retailguy » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 am

The Susan voice doesn't work, and the Dave TTS voice only works occasionally. But, all the non-tts voices work fine. I really appreciate your help. I'm now addicted to making other programs work on Windows CE 5.0.... Any suggestions?;)
retailguy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue May 07, 2013 7:14 am

Could be a memory issue..?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Could you please post the specifications of your device? Link? Please post a screenshot of your SD card? I know you said that you have no sys.txt but is there a file from your program that contains your options? What have you done step-by-step?

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby retailguy » Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm

chas521 wrote:Could you please post the specifications of your device? Link? Please post a screenshot of your SD card? I know you said that you have no sys.txt but is there a file from your program that contains your options? What have you done step-by-step?

Here is the manufacturer website of my device:

[Please Register or Login to download file]

I can't find how much memory it has anywhere, but did figure out that it runs windows CE5. That probably means it doesn't have much memory, but it will handle a 16gig micro SD card which surprised me.

The top level of the sd card is merely a "gogo" directory. Here are levels two and three. Three is the binder directory where the executable is located.

There must be a file that controls my options, but I don't know which one it would be. There are several .txt files, but they mostly control specfic things, for example, in the resource directory there are several txt files labeled day1, night1, 2 & 3, that seem to control the colors of objects.

Here's a quick paste of the top few lines of day1.txt.

//
// Map Layout Definition
// Day1
// DO NOT USE WHITE SPACE BEFORE AND AFTER '=' TO PREVENT AMBIGUOUSNESS

// resource name
[Resources]
SkyBox=Sky_Day1.imz

// bg color
// P_color : land color of level 0, 1, 2
// S_color : water color of world level
[BG]
P_Color=(214 ,209, 215)
S_Color=(153, 179, 204)

My step by step process is as follows:

1. I downloaded your two part program files
2. I downloaded the maps (from here)
3. I replaced the relevant lines in sys.txt that you had instructed another user with my unit to do.
4. I read gsthunders 19 page thread after I had the same error messages as he did and the program wouldn't load.
5. I downloaded the single part program that another member uploaded that was in that thread. This worked, error went away, but you said not to use it in the thread because it was different, so I deleted it.
6. I downloaded the zipped data directory in that thread and replaced your zipped data directory. (My error messages then went away and the program loaded).
7. I set up options and configured the GPS from the other mods help, and then finally selected a non tts voice. When I select other voices, the non tts ones always work, the tts ones work occasionally. Out of 5 or 6 tries, I've heard the Susan voice once, and the Dave voice about three times.

I'm ok with using the non tts voice, but if you think this might help someone else to sort through it, I'm certainly willing. I've learned a lot through this process and I thank both of you for this. A week ago, I thought I was stuck with outdated maps, as gogo maps has not updated them, and at this point probably won't, but I wasn't really willing to pay to have them updated anyhow.

I'm thinking I might try to make tomtom and garmin maps work as well, but fully realize my unit may not have enough memory to do that sucessfully.

If you would like a copy of my original GPS program, I'd be happy to furnish that.
retailguy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 pm

This little utility will tell you how much RAM (and other details) your device has...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?8930-Mortscript-applications-repository&p=44922#post44922
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby retailguy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 pm

I posted some info earlier this AM but it told me that it had to be approved by a moderator. Did it get lost?
retailguy offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core