GPS has failed on 2Din   

GPS has failed on 2Din

Postby EZorb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Win_ce6 and using iGO 2.0 primo with Q4 2011 US & Canada maps

Just installed China AV, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.. The unit has worked fine for about a week. I got into car yesterday morning started motor, put in reverse backup camera came on and back out. Put into Drive instead of GPS loading had vertical bands of color and bass hum. Switch to radio and had bass hum nothing on any band. Push the power button turning unit off then back on everything works OK, radio, DVD, Bluetooth. Push the GPS button and nothing except the vertical band of color and no hum. Removed the GPS SD card and instead of GPS menu have a light blue blank screen. Put SD card back in and get the bands of color. I get no error message.

Do I have a hardware failure or is there something I need to reset.

Thank for any help
EZorb offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 pm

EZorb wrote:Do I have a [color="#FF0000"]hardware failure[/color] or is there something I need to reset.

Considering the multiple symptoms, [color="#FF0000"]that[/color] is a possibility.
However, it could also (maybe) be something as simple as a bad or corrupted SD Card. If you have a spare (you should anyway), try copying everything to that if possible.

If all else fails, pull the fuse or disconnect the battery for a few minutes. This should totally reset the unit. It has worked for others in the past.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Sounds like hardware failure, especially if the lines are random rather than like the SMPTE testcard image.

Are you able to access some sort of reset?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby EZorb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:28 pm

There is a reset switch that you push with a paper clip. I have not tried this since I did not know exactly what it does. How can I clear the ram for the GPS. I don't even get to the first step the Menu.

What does the SMPTE image look like?
EZorb offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:25 pm

I would try removing all media, discs, sd cards, etc, disconnect the power for a bit, then reconnect and see what happens, possibly it's picked up some emp or something and crashed.

SMPTE is just a colour bar video test card, I was referring to it's colour bars of equal width and height, meaning it's likely to be generated internally, rather than a visual mess of lines.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 pm

SMPTE colour bars...

Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby EZorb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 am

Fatboyfun wrote:I would try removing all media, discs, sd cards, etc, disconnect the power for a bit, then reconnect and see what happens, possibly it's picked up some emp or something and crashed.

SMPTE is just a colour bar video test card, I was referring to it's colour bars of equal width and height, meaning it's likely to be generated internally, rather than a visual mess of lines.

Your suggestion was right on. Pulled negative on battery left it off while I cleaned corrosion from terminal. Put it back on after and turned on unit selected Nav button and there was the Navigation menu. Inserted the SD card and it worked.
Thanks very much for holding my hand.
EZorb offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:02 am

No problem, glad it's sorted.

Electrical noise on the power lines can cause this, so cleaning corrosion and making sure there are no loose connections can help stop this occurring.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core