Easy way to upgrade from iGO8.0 to iGO8.3   

Easy way to upgrade from iGO8.0 to iGO8.3

Postby chas521 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:46 pm

How to update iGO8.0 to iGO8.3

This information could be useful for people using iGO8.0 on a device (like 2Din) and have gotten it from the internet - or elsewhere. By this method, you in fact can update iGO8.0 the easy way to iGO8.3. You NEED to change your 'old' R1/8.0 maps to the R3/8.3 maps!

Nabi and I have been PMing regarding something that should be of interest to some of you members out there. It has been tried and proved to work but we would also like for you out there who try it to post here with your results so others may benefit from your experience. If you are presently using 8.0 simply download a current 8.3 package. Also download maps for 8.3. In 8.0 delete the Igo.exe, the license folder, the data.zip, the branding zip and the save folder and replace them with the same folders/files from the 8.3 download. Don't worry about replacing the save folder because a new one will be recreated when you start the new Igo for the first time. Put the new 8.3 content into the content folder[s] after deleting the old 8.0 content. Completely shutdown your GPS, wait a few seconds and restart. BACKUP YOUR OLD FILES/FOLDERS THAT YOU ARE DELETING IN CASE THERE'S A PROBLEM!!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby UGB25xcel » Fri May 21, 2010 12:27 am

I have a version of iGO8 that has been modified to run with a WindowsCE emulator. What I like about this version is that it does not seem to be memory dependent. I have the entire North American TeleAtlas map and POI set installed (about 1.2gb). I have also run across an iGO8.3 modded to run with a WindowsCE emulator. I can only load a few maps before the 256mb limit for an emulator is exceeded. TTS also seems to cause a memory problem. Is there any reason to believe that your procedure will work for upgrading the 8.0 software? I am trying to develop a version of iGO8 on a Viliv UMPC running Windows PC. Any suggestions?
UGB25xcel offline

Postby chas521 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 am

UGB25xcel wrote:I have a version of iGO8 that has been modified to run with a WindowsCE emulator. What I like about this version is that it does not seem to be memory dependent. I have the entire North American TeleAtlas map and POI set installed (about 1.2gb). I have also run across an iGO8.3 modded to run with a WindowsCE emulator. I can only load a few maps before the 256mb limit for an emulator is exceeded. TTS also seems to cause a memory problem. Is there any reason to believe that your procedure will work for upgrading the 8.0 software? I am trying to develop a version of iGO8 on a Viliv UMPC running Windows PC. Any suggestions?

Memory problems can be caused by a number of things as you probably know. You could remove the .dem files in content, use a non-TTS voice, reduce/remove speedcams or the whole file, too many maps, etc. I don't see why using the above method of upgrading wouldn't work so why not give it a shot. Please remember to backup all files before changing anything if there's a problem.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby UGB25xcel » Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 am

I may have misstated the configuration of the iGO8 program that I have. There is no mention of an emulator or an emulator folder. The program just launches with the iGO splash screen from a file called iGo_pc.exe. In the credits section it is dated 2006 by NavNGo as if it were originally written for a PC. Of course if I substitute iGo8.exe for iGo_pc.exe I receive an error message that this is not a valid Windows32 program. And using the R3 maps doesn't work. That produces a message that your maps are obsolete. Is it possible that NavNGo had a version of iGo for PC's at one time? I sure wish there was an up to date version.
UGB25xcel offline

Postby chas521 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:05 pm

UGB25xcel wrote:I may have misstated the configuration of the iGO8 program that I have. There is no mention of an emulator or an emulator folder. The program just launches with the iGO splash screen from a file called iGo_pc.exe. In the credits section it is dated 2006 by NavNGo as if it were originally written for a PC. Of course if I substitute iGo8.exe for iGo_pc.exe I receive an error message that this is not a valid Windows32 program. And using the R3 maps doesn't work. That produces a message that your maps are obsolete. Is it possible that NavNGo had a version of iGo for PC's at one time? I sure wish there was an up to date version.

Sorry if I didn't understand your question that well. As I recall, there IS a version of iGO for the PC that does allow the user to use R3 maps but to be perfectly honest, I don't have access to it anymore. Maybe someone out there reading this does have it and will share it with the rest of us so we could add it to our library so that others could benefit from it.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby UGB25xcel » Sat May 22, 2010 4:11 pm

chas, that is a nice version of iGO8. I added TTS and it works. The only negative is that it will not read R3 maps. I do not understand how iGO recognizes the maps-whether Navteq or TeleAtals, R1 or R3. They all have file extension .fbl. POI's and building files can be current and iGO has no problem with that but change a map file and ? iGO8.3 with WindowsCE emulator reads R3 maps but the emulator's memory limit prevents having many maps and I have not been able to get TTS to work. If there were just a way to get iGO8 to read R3 maps?
UGB25xcel offline

Postby chas521 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:46 pm

UGB25xcel wrote:chas, that is a nice version of iGO8. I added TTS and it works. The only negative is that it will not read R3 maps. I do not understand how iGO recognizes the maps-whether Navteq or TeleAtals, R1 or R3. They all have file extension .fbl. POI's and building files can be current and iGO has no problem with that but change a map file and ? iGO8.3 with WindowsCE emulator reads R3 maps but the emulator's memory limit prevents having many maps and I have not been able to get TTS to work. If there were just a way to get iGO8 to read R3 maps?

That is an enigma. I can only assume that there is some sort of change the way that iGO reads maps even they have a .fbl extension. It must be in the .exe. I'll keep looking but you might have to live with the R1 maps for now - sorry.

Saw this video. So I guess it's possible.
[Please Register or Login to download file]

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core