Creating Routes on PC   

Creating Routes on PC

Postby theWolfTamer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Is there a good program to create routes on the pc then transfer to Igo8?

I use my igo8 mainly on my motorcycle. Right now, I'm using ITN Converter to create routes then export them into .kml. The problem is the route I create and the one that comes up in igo8 is different. I've tried routeconverter but when I transfer them to the igo8 I get program errors until I delete those .kml files.

On my last trip, we missed a turn that added an hour to the route then ended up on an unending loop. When I got home, I discovered the route I made and the route igo8 created were very different. It would be nice if that program also had a flyover feature and the ability to create a file for garmin devices that I can email to my motorcycle companions.

If there are no programs, does anyone have any tips for getting the same route on both the computer and igo8?
[Please Register or Login to download file]

[Please Register or Login to download file] [Please Register or Login to download file]
theWolfTamer offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby bazzle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 pm

On he flyover bit... igo does have a simulate setting. Using this you can travel the route at diff speeds.

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby theWolfTamer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Bazzle, I've used the flyover feature in igo8 but the screen is too small to see much. I did the flyover on the route that prompted this question and still ended up on an unending loop! I've even stepped though the route using the itinerary but have the same problem.

[Please Register or Login to download file] [Please Register or Login to download file]
theWolfTamer offline

Postby nabi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Well, last week I downloaded and converted a route for TomTom (ov2) to iGO (KML) to test ITN Convertor.
I did download the same route in KML, made on Google Earth. So here you have a way to set up your own routes.

I did transfer those 2 downloaded routes to iGO and tested. Remember, it were the same routes.
The Google route had about 1542 via points, the ov2 had 15. On +/- 48 km quite a difference.
The 15 via points on the ov2 route were no real problem while simulating the route, but I gave up testing the Google route quickly (of course, every 30 meters a via point). Anyway, the overview (complete route on screen) looked the same as the ov2.
I did drive that route as well. By car. It was a motor route, so I had some smaller roads on the way. No other surprises.

I imagine that - in iGO - using the overview and zoom function should cover your needs to find loops. But why not do it the other way around and load the KML file in Google Earth?
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby theWolfTamer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:23 am

I ended up installing my mobiller so I could view the pda screen on the pc, then did the flyover. Whenever i got stuck in a loop, I fixed the placement of the waypoints in ITN converter. It took a couple of hours but I finally got what I wanted.

Also after you get the route you want, don't be a doofus and change the type of route! I used the fast method with many waypoints, close to 75, but I got it right.

I was just hoping to find a simpler solution.

theWolfTamer offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core