Chinese 5" sat nav   

Chinese 5" sat nav

Postby Auld beardy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi, I have a Chinese sat nav using iGo8 which is very good,fast connection to satellites,etc, but is not able to be 'seen' by my PC running W7. It did connect OK initially but for some reason now doesn't
so I am unable to carry out updates. I tried putting the updated maps etc(contents folder) onto a microSD card but it appears not to be able to update from that although maybe I'm not going about it the right way. Any help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,Auld beardy
Auld beardy offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Auld beardy wrote:Hi, I have a Chinese sat nav using iGo8 which is very good,fast connection to satellites,etc, but is not able to be 'seen' by my PC running W7. It did connect OK initially but for some reason now doesn't
so I am unable to carry out updates. I tried putting the updated maps etc(contents folder) onto a microSD card but it appears not to be able to update from that although maybe I'm not going about it the right way. Any help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,Auld beardy

Try running CCleaner [correct spelling] to clean your cache. Google is your friend here. Unfortunately, W7 may be the culprit. Access to XP or Vista?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Auld beardy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Chas, thanks for the quick reply - I did wonder about W7. I have Vista on my laptop so I can try that but will also try the cache cleaner as you suggest,kind regards,Auld beardy.
Auld beardy offline

Postby Auld beardy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Chas, used ccleaner as suggested on PC & laptop but still get the same message on both - 'USB device is not recognised - one of the USB devices has malfunctioned & Windows does not recognise it ' It then states driver did not load correctly. It would appear to be a driver problem but when checking drivers it shows driver ver. 6.1.7601.17586 by Microsoft 21.06.2006 & all the other boxes(update driver) are grayed out. On checking details it states ' No driver files required or have been loaded for this device ' so it looks like it is plug & play. Is a puzzlement.
Kind regards,Auld beardy.
Auld beardy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 am

If you right click on the devices entry in device manager can you uninstall it? if you can, select the option to delete device driver as well
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby NRT » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:49 am

Also try a different usb cable.
NRT offline

User avatar Member

Postby Auld beardy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am

Hi NT, I have tried other cables - I have now connected it to a USB on the rear of the PC(was using one one the front) & by syncing it, it opens in Windows Mobile Device Center as a phone. If I shut the device Center down it is visible in Computer as WindowsCE & I can look through everything that is on there but can't get into iGo8 to get to the Contents folder. If I try it as a mass storage device nothing happens. Thanks to all for your help,regards,Auld beardy.
Auld beardy offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Auld beardy wrote:Hi NT, I have tried other cables - I have now connected it to a USB on the rear of the PC(was using one one the front) & by syncing it, it opens in Windows Mobile Device Center as a phone. If I shut the device Center down it is visible in Computer as WindowsCE & I can look through everything that is on there but can't get into iGo8 to get to the Contents folder. If I try it as a mass storage device nothing happens. Thanks to all for your help,regards,Auld beardy.

Hmmm! Can you see the SD card at all? Do you have access to a separate card reader?

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Auld beardy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Chas, Yes I can read the micro SD card through Computer with the sat nav connected as Windows CE. I also have a card reader built in to my PC. I also notice in the sat nav in the back up user data section that it backs up onto the SD card. If a back up was taken, then the card removed & opened on the PC, & then updated, would reinserting it into the sat nav & restore user data used, would this install the updated back up or is that too easy? Thanks for your help,regards,Auld beardy
Auld beardy offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 am

Auld beardy wrote:Hi Chas, Yes I can read the micro SD card through Computer with the sat nav connected as Windows CE. I also have a card reader built in to my PC. I also notice in the sat nav in the back up user data section that it backs up onto the SD card. If a back up was taken, then the card removed & opened on the PC, & then updated, would reinserting it into the sat nav & restore user data used, would this install the updated back up or is that too easy? Thanks for your help,regards,Auld beardy

It's a good thing to see your device and SD card on your computer. It's kinda difficult answering your question about a backup because your device is not in front of me. I'm not too sure what you're saying about the backup being saved to your SD card. Is that an automatic feature of your device? The normal procedure is this. Wherever your program is currently located, there should be a contents folder. In that contents folder are sub-folders. You want the one called contents\map. For iGO8, you would ONLY put the updated .fbl files inside.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Auld beardy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Chas, I understand re the contents folder. The iGo8 system runs directly from the sat nav & doesn't need the SD card to work. The SD card is normally used to add music/pictures etc to the folders in WindowCE. There is a facility within iGo8 called User Data Management which allows you to back up all your settings in the program inc pins,POIs,favourites,history & track logs to the SD card. If required, you can then use Restore User Data to restore iGo8 to that backup. It doesn't mention maps or speed cameras(but info is a little scarce) but I thought that maybe they would be included & could then be updated on the SD card & then by using restore this would take it to the new settings. I guess I'll need to be brave & do a backup onto a blank SD card & see what is on there. Backup is there for a reason so it shouldn't cause problems. I looked at everything I could find on WindowsCE but couldn't see anything refering to iGo8,cheers,Auld beardy.
Auld beardy offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm

I have to think that this is iGO8 program you want http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-5-2011 Extract it to a SD card and go from there.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Auld beardy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Chas,thanks very much for your help but I have decided to give up on this unit.I did look at the backup option but it only saves any routes you have saved or music etc which I don't use,but nothing to do with the actual iGo8 program. I have found another unit which has the maps on an 8gb SD card which I will be able to update on my PC, so I have purchased one. I appreciate your posts & they may help somebody further down the line. Kind regards,Auld beardy
Auld beardy offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core