Changing default speeds and announcement distances on Igo8   

Changing default speeds and announcement distances on Igo8

Postby etlprws » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I have tried numerous searches and not found an answer.

I am using Igo8 on a bicycle and generally it is great.

However the announcement for the next junction starts at 700 meters, which is quite a way ahead when you are only doing 10MPH. Is it possible to change when the announcements come?

Also, when planning a route for a bicycle the Estimated Arrival Time seems to assume an average speed of 20MPH. This would be great on a racing bike but not on a touring bike laden with panniers and a fat rider! Again, can this be changed (the speed, not the rider:D )?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards
Peter
etlprws offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Modifying the TTS voices can be a tricky thing at best. You might want to read this:

[Please Register or Login to download file]
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby etlprws » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 am

Hi,

May be I didn't explain the problem properly. I don't need to change the voices, I need to change the distances that the announcements are made. I would have assumed that somewhere in the settings there would be a definition for when the announcements for approaching junctions are made (e.g. 700m, 200m, 0m).
I also assumed that somewhere you would set the average speed for a road type and vehicle type.

Any thoughts?

BTW - chas521 - the link you suggested above is broken.

Regards
Peter
etlprws offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Peter,
That link works perfectly for me. So, I don't think it's broken at all. I understood your post. I linked you to a site that shows how difficult it is to MODIFY voices. Each letter and symbol mean something in the csv file and it is VERY easy to lose TTS if you mess it up. I learned programming years ago so I kinda have an idea what the problems are. "If", "then", "else" become the paramount commands and one wrong small change might be damaging. I'll point you to the file if you want to take a chance but I wouldn't recommend it.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Skezza » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:30 pm

etlprws wrote:Hi,

May be I didn't explain the problem properly. I don't need to change the voices, I need to change the distances that the announcements are made. I would have assumed that somewhere in the settings there would be a definition for when the announcements for approaching junctions are made (e.g. 700m, 200m, 0m).
I also assumed that somewhere you would set the average speed for a road type and vehicle type.

Any thoughts?

BTW - chas521 - the link you suggested above is broken.

Regards
Peter
Set announce distance announcement to on. That will tell you your next move within so many miles after your previous. There is a setting for announcements but I forget where it is. I'll look later for you.
Skezza offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Skezza wrote:Set announce distance announcement to on. That will tell you your next move within so many miles after your previous. There is a setting for announcements but I forget where it is. I'll look later for you.

I don't think this is found in iGO8.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby etlprws » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks chas521, now I have seen the link I can see that your response was spot on! I may have a bit of a look at this but I think taking heed of your "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" suggestion maybe the best approach.

Do you know if the average speeds are also hard coded in these files?
etlprws offline

Postby newsguy99 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 am

Chas, go in a city and make sure you have a route set, and it has you turn on 2nd ave south..

Its the weirdest sound ever....
newsguy99 offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 pm

newsguy99 wrote:Chas, go in a city and make sure you have a route set, and it has you turn on 2nd ave south..

Its the weirdest sound ever....

I don't understand this post.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core