can't get to reset path for Igo primo   

can't get to reset path for Igo primo

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:59 pm

When I got my no name Chinese car GPS/radio/DVD unit, it came with IGO8. Last year I got hold of IGO primo with 2012 maps and all was working just fine, only 2 problem I got, was on very rare occasions (whilst using it when driving) it would freeze, and a quick switch off and switch on of the head unit got it going again, this only happened a hand full of times in the 2 years and the other, was I could only use it with default cockpit or it would not restart without deleting the contents of the save folder, so all in all worked OK.

Now to my problem, I thought I would up date my maps and add a few skins and this is where my problems started. When I insert the microSD card, it says “the program can’t be executed. Check the setting?” I click on the yes check box and a blank screen appears and just above this screen it shows the last path it had to get to primo. I have hard reset the unit to factory settings many times but still this happens.

I have formatted the 3 or 4 micro SD cards I’m using and on one card even deep formatted it but still no luck, it recognizes when I insert the Sd card as when the card it out it says “No SD card” then when I insert the card it show a window asking to set the path and this is the loop I’m getting

the memory cards are 1 is 4gig and the other two are 8gig
the no name Chinese head unit runs WINCE5, even though before buying it I asked the ebay seller I wanted WINCE6 and was told it was, it isn't

also, when I insert a microSD card with the (former) working copy of IGO primo, I still get the same result, could it be name of the SD card not matching the name its looking for from the card?

if its any further help, the wallpaper bmp file is also on the sd card so when I go in to settings and click on the logo icon, it cant see the sdcard and the screen is blank even though there are bmp wallpaper files on the memory stick.

doing a google I did see somewhere when this guy say's he had to change the SD card name back to "Storage Card" as his head unit wouldn't recognise the SD card otherwise

here is an image of the screen when inserting the card
[Please Register or Login to download file]

and here after checking the yes box

Here is a youtube clip that might help

any help is very much welcome as I’ve run out of ideas

Sorry for the long post
mollydog offline

Re: can't get to reset path for Igo primo

Postby nabi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Did you delete the save folder? Al settings are then gone and you must do it over again. But when it works ...
Better then deleting is to rename the save folder, so in case the SD is faulty, copying from old sd to new sd and renaming the save folder back will get you started in minutes
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:12 pm

yes,every time I took out the card the first thing I'd do was to delete everything from the save folder, and only then I'd add or take out skin, maps or POI files, so every time the SD card was inserted, the save folder would be empty,

what I have noticed, as I don't get the opportunity to set the path for Primo.exe, when I look at the Igo Primo folder on the computer there is nothing in the save folder to delete

Edited to add, I'll look to find an old save folder, if i find one I'll copy that across to the SD card and see if it works, many thanks :)
mollydog offline

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:55 pm

I've gone back and copied the old Igo Primo with a save folder dated 10th of September (an old one) and still comes up with the two screen shots above, could it have anything to do with the card name? as on the screen it shows "Storage Card\Primo2.exe" would it be looking for Primo2 on SD card called "Storage Card"? you can tell I'm not familiar with how windows or wince work
mollydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:28 pm

What the device calls the SD card (Storage Card, SDMMC, etc) can't be easily changed, and shouldn't matter anyway as it's just like the PC allocating drive letters to USB drives.

Can you get into wince on this device? See if you can get total commander running.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Just downloaded Total Commander from here:http://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

v8.51a, I reset the head unit to factory setting, holding in the button for 30 seconds, but Total Commander didn't load, got the same two screens shown above, first the one saying "the program can't be executed" the the other showing "Storage Card" on the top bar
mollydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:46 pm

It wouldn't be the first unit I've seen with a faulty card reader, unfortunately as you've tried several cards that work in the PC, that's what it looks like.

It may be a simple fix like a loose connection or bad solder joint, but this will mean opening the device up.

But before that, can you access the internal memory by way of a PC connection or built in file explorer?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:05 pm

The strange thing is, in selecting GPS, it knows when the SD card is missing and say's so,and also when I insert the SD card it knows that too, but when looking for the logo on the same SD card in the other setting, it cant see the SD card,

I get the impression that it knows a card is in but cant read that or any other SD card

when I first got the unit (2 years ago) I used a few apps that let me get to the wince OS, I think it was "GPS CE Rescue Disk" (not sure) and I could see files and folder on the wince side of the head unit, as I didn't know anything I didn't alter anything and just used the GPS as was, till last month of replacing maps and adding some skin's

about "can you access the internal memory by way of a PC connection or built in file explorer?" I'm not sure how to do this, or what to use to do it, it has a mini USB at the front of the unit if its usable for this. being in graphics I've been using Mac's, and only have a mini dell9 somewhere in the house
mollydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:31 pm

It may be used as an activesync connection, but this requires a windows PC (or Linux with since) but I've seen lots of card reader failures and that's what it looks like to me.

If it's possible you can get into windows ce, you can see if windows recognises the external card and it isn't a shell problem.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:47 pm

just been to the car and having 3 exe files on the card it showed a blank screen, connected a card with music and movie files and it displayed these tracks, looks like the mini USB is only for music, movie files

if I take the car (with the head unit still in the car) to a car audio centre would they be able to test the micro SD slot, or is it something to take to a computer store?
mollydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:58 pm

A car audio centre would be more knowledgeable about car audio than a computer store.

However, finding someone willing to fix it may be an issue as parts and service documentation can be difficult to find for Chinese devices.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mollydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:19 pm

might have to be the time to get a new one then :022: such a shame as its been working just fine till I went and putting in new maps and skins,

many thanks for your help and information, its put me out of my misery if nothing else, thank you
mollydog offline

Postby mollydog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:50 pm

UPDATE

I ordered a new micoSD card and copied over the Igo primo folder and inserted the card in the head unit and everything is up and running as before, just don't understand how 3 microSD cards worked just fine on the laptop but were not recognised on the head unit

main thing is all is now well, many thanks to all :)
mollydog offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Don't understand that myself but if it works...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mollydog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 pm

I had ordered 2x 8gig microSD cards for my digital camera, and when they arrived in the post this morning, I thought I'd see what happen if I tried it with these two, expecting only to see the same screen, well the "can't execute this program" came and I clicked on yes and the path on the top of the screen changed to the path on this memory card and and I scrolled down to Primo2.exe and it loaded, and after going through the settings it was up and running as before.

just hope this is what the problem was as I'm happy with this unit and found out its more or less hard to get the same one.

Just don't know why or how 3 microSD cards were OK on the computer, even formatted the a few times to FAT32 and all looked ok on the laptop yet the head unit wasn't happy with them
mollydog offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core