Can't add POI icons (IGO8 8.3.5.193799)   

Can't add POI icons (IGO8 8.3.5.193799)

Postby jcocker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 am

I am running IGO8 8.3.5.193799 - 27 May 2011 (downloaded from here) on a 5" Chinese GPS unit (800x480), and everything works as it should. I also use diMka WertVRV_1147 (for iGo8.3.x).

Now I added some POIs from PocketGPSWorld, and want to also add icons for them.

I've spent ages trying to do this, but with no luck.

Does anyone have a good and working Branding.zip file with many icons that I can replace mine with?

TIA.

J.
jcocker offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 pm

[color="#FF0000"]SEE POST #9[/color]

Try this Joe [I guess Joe] but read my instructions:

Over 2600 icons

This is NOT the ui_igo8 folder found in the data.zip or the branding.zip. It is the the sole ui_igo8 folder found in the root of the IGO8 folder by itself. Just replace it with the ui_igo8 folder in the download after unzipping the download.

Go to the menu in iGO 8.3, manage, POI, sub-sections will appear, [let's use McDonald's as an example], in restaurant sub-section go to fast food, scroll down to McDonald's, choose edit, at bottom of page is the blue icon, press it and 4 pages of new icons will appear, choose the one for McDonald's and the icon will now appear on your map. At the McDonald's edit page, choose "medium" for when you see the restaurant on the map.

OR

You can try it as this. Make a back up of your present branding.zip to a safe place and replace it in the program with the download.

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Please post here if it worked for you.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jcocker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi

Thanks for that.

I downloaded the branding.zip (I assume you forgot to include the ui_igo8 file/folder from the 1st half of your reply?), and replaced my existing file with this one.

Now, when starting igo I get the error message "Failed to open file: ui_igo8/800_480/loading.bmp""

I had a quick look at the branding.zip file that you sent, and loading.bmp is definitely there in the right place...

Any idea what's wrong?

PS: forgot to mention that I was particularly interested in UK-related icons, but at this stage I will take anything that works... ;-)
jcocker offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 pm

jcocker wrote:Hi

Thanks for that.

I downloaded the branding.zip (I assume you forgot to include the ui_igo8 file/folder from the 1st half of your reply?), and replaced my existing file with this one.

Now, when starting igo I get the error message "Failed to open file: ui_igo8/800_480/loading.bmp""

I had a quick look at the branding.zip file that you sent, and loading.bmp is definitely there in the right place...

Any idea what's wrong?

Yep. If I understand you correctly, you did the first suggestion and not the whole branding.zip after OR. Try the second one please.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jcocker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough...

I couldn't see an attachment for a "ui_igo8" file/folder in your original reply above, so I therefore tried your 2nd suggestion, namely downloading the branding.zip file and replacing mine with it. This is when I got the error message I mentioned.

For your 1st suggestion I will need a ui_igo8 folder from you, but as I mentioned earlier, I cannot see where to get it from...Did you mean for me to extract the ui_igo8 folder from the branding file that you attached and place it at the top level of my igo folder?

PS: I also tried to delete the "save" folder - just in case, but still get the same error message,,,
jcocker offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:33 pm

jcocker wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear enough...

I couldn't see an attachment for a "ui_igo8" file/folder in your original reply above, so I therefore tried your 2nd suggestion, namely downloading the branding.zip file and replacing mine with it. This is when I got the error message I mentioned.

For your 1st suggestion I will need a ui_igo8 folder from you, but as I mentioned earlier, I cannot see where to get it from...Did you mean for me to extract the ui_igo8 folder from the branding file that you attached and place it at the top level of my igo folder?

PS: I also tried to delete the "save" folder - just in case, but still get the same error message,,,

That branding.zip is actually for resolutions of 480_272 and lower. I'm trying to make it work for 800_480. Let's try it this way. Using the first procedure of just using the sole ui_igo8 folder which can be found when you unzip the branding.zip download, copy the 800_480 resolution folder which can be found in the ui_igo8 folder of the branding.zip to that sole ui_igo8 folder. Put back your old branding.zip. Completely shutdown your device, wait a few seconds and re-start. Hopefully this works.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm

I have another idea if that doesn't work. A little more involved. This is a trial and error thing.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 pm

I made some modifications. Now try the new branding.zip.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jcocker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:47 pm

1. Used your SECOND branding.zip file. Copied it to the route of the igo folder, replacing the old file. Result: the same error message as I got with your FIRST branding.zip: "can't open loading.bmp".
2. Created ui_igo8 folder under route of igo folder. Copied content of ui_igo8 from within FIRST branding.zip file that you sent. Started igo and during the "Mainscreen Load" stage got this error message: "FFVIERROR: Unknown layer referenced. Identifier=[ui_findCoordZone]"
3. Same as 2 above, but this time with ui_igo8 from your SECOND branding.zip file. Got the same error message...

???
jcocker offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

I haven't abandoned you, just thinking.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Sorry to do it this way but I don't have a 800_480 device to try these things out. You're my reporter as it were. Here's another try:

If this doesn't work, I have another idea.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jcocker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 pm

1. Tried to replace my working branding.zip with your latest attempt. Got the same error message with loading.bmp as before.
2. Tried to extract ui_igo8 from your latest branding.zip to the route of igo. Program running, but when I tried to see the new icons (Manage->POIs->Edit->Change Icon) I got the same list of icons as before (i.e no new ones...)

PS: I deleted the save folder before trying - just in case.
jcocker offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm getting exhausted LOL. Let's try it this way, unzip your branding.zip. Inside is a folder called ui_igo8. Open that folder and inside that is a folder called icons. Replace it with the download here.

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT: The next words out of your mouth better be it works. LOL[/color]

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jcocker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Added the icons folder to my branding.zip as requested. Everything works fine, but there are no new icons in the list when choosing for POIs, only the 3 pages of the ugly blue circle standard ones...

I had a look at the content of the icons file that you sent, and it seem to refer to spr and bmp files my branding.zip does not have (I put a copy of my original file here: [Please Register or Login to download file] ).
jcocker offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core