Zumo Splash Screen   

Zumo Splash Screen

Postby BertImpetigo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Unlike previous Zumo models, it's not officially possible to change the Splash Screen at startup on the Zumo 590 and 595. However, since different Splash Screens DO exist (eg: BMW, Harley Davidson, Touratech have different splash screens from the standard Garmin one) if we knew where these were located, perhaps it would be possible to change them.

When I updated a Harley Davidson 590 to the Garmin 595 firmware (there is no HD version of the 595), the splash screen changed. Originally it shows the Harley Davidson logo, and after the upgrade, surprisingly NOT the Garmin splash screen, but a tine white square containing the words "GIR Low Mem". That suggests the splash screen is not in the firmware file itself, but the firmware instructs the Garmin to display a file located elsewhere, and as the Garmin one is not on the device, it can't find it, and doesn't know about the HD Logo. Whatever the splash image is, I can't find it, so I'm guessing it's contained within another file - a .bin file perhaps. Perhaps the GarminDevice.xml file tells it where to get the splash image? Has anyone looked at this in detail, as I'd like the Zumo to display something after the 595 upgrade, other than the little white square.....
BertImpetigo offline

Re: Zumo Splash Screen

Postby BertImpetigo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:23 pm

OK, have sorted this now. Problem was that the HD Logo file was too big at 25kb to load with the 595 firmware. Reduced the size of the file to 10kb (same as the Garmin logo on the ordinary 590/595) and now have it loading.

This has shown me that it IS possible to load custom boot splash screens on the Zumo 590/595 too.
BertImpetigo offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin