What am I missing here...?   

What am I missing here...?

Postby siberian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Downloaded a topo map, loaded it into BaseCamp and made sure it was OK. Then I built it with MapBuilder and sent it over to the Garmin where it created a gmapsup.img in the right directory. It was recognized by the 255w...meaning it was listed under maps, but...

I see no difference in what is displayed. Whether I select the topo map (gmapsup) or not I can't for the life of me see a difference. What am I missing? Would it only be visible at very low resolution - meaning a very big scale??

Thanx for any pointers.

siberian
The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 pm

Well, I don't know what map do you mean - it is possible in some cases, that a map only in big scale show details.

Did you deactivate your street map? It also could be, that the City Navigator covers the other map.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

You mean that the topo is not an overlay? You have to choose to view either the topo OR the street map? Sorry for the basic nature of the questions.

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 pm

Yes of course, most maps are only for separate use. But I don't know which topo map do you speak about.
Sometimes maps are also made as transparent overlay, e.g. OSM or other free maps, but never original Garmin maps.
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 am

I loaded mti_ak.gmapi

I assumed they would be overlay maps which is why I wasn't getting anything on the Nuvi. On the Mac there was topo shown which is why I assumed it would display on the small Nuvi screen. Guess a minimum display size is needed.

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 am

I don't know this map, that's why I can't tell you something about it. From where do you have it?

Unfortunately this Alaska-Topo is down, http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6904-Garmin-TOPO-Alaska-Enhanced-v.2.0. But maybe PiEtU or Catymag make a reupload.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Got it from GPSFileDepot Forums since link is down on this site. Still need part1 of the Europe one....:rulz:

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin