Trouble installing N.America map on nuvi was faulty SD card   

Re: Trouble installing Garmin 2021.20 North America map on n

Postby johnpoo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:13 pm

GarmanNuvi wrote:Just let me have the number via a Private Message, It will take too long to instruct you how to check.

Why not sort out why your current device is not seeing the map on your new SD card?
Plug the SD card into your PC and take a screen shot so we can see the layout use the Albany map.

[Please Register or Login to download file]
johnpoo offline

Postby johnpoo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm

GarmanNuvi wrote:Link works fine ,I saw it before. So your device is still not seeing a map ?

Make a copy of your garmindevice.xml from the Garmin folder at let me have it via my
Drop folder
[Please Register or Login to download file]

It should be in your drive now
johnpoo offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Using the garmindevice.xml you sent shows the device you have has Lifetime maps for US lower 49
johnpoo wrote:I tried to update to 2021.20 on Garmin Express by saving the files onto the microSD card. After booting up the nuvi 1100 once again, I went into the map info settings and there wasn't an option for 2021.20

This has to be a problem with the SD card or SD card socket on the device ?
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby johnpoo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Yes, I saw that on Garmin Express. However, before I installed the 2021.20 map on this forum, I had to pay for the update. It was only when I downloaded the map Garmin told me that I had lifetime map updates. At this point, it has to be that the nuvi's microSD card slot isn't reading the data.
johnpoo offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:13 pm

johnpoo wrote:Yes, I saw that on Garmin Express. However, before I installed the 2021.20 map on this forum, I had to pay for the update. It was only when I downloaded the map Garmin told me that I had lifetime map updates. At this point, it has to be that the nuvi's microSD card slot isn't reading the data.

I can only assume the SD card socket has never been used from manufacture pre 2010 ,so it is quite possible the contacts in the socket are less than clean. I would try with the device OFF plug & unplug the SD card a few times hoping the contacts clean themselves up.
before I installed the 2021.20 map on this forum, I had to pay for the update.

Who did you pay ??
Garmin ?
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby johnpoo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:27 pm

GarmanNuvi wrote:
johnpoo wrote:Yes, I saw that on Garmin Express. However, before I installed the 2021.20 map on this forum, I had to pay for the update. It was only when I downloaded the map Garmin told me that I had lifetime map updates. At this point, it has to be that the nuvi's microSD card slot isn't reading the data.

before I installed the 2021.20 map on this forum, I had to pay for the update.

Who did you pay ??

I didn't pay for anything. I had to pay Garmin 50 dollars for the update because before installing the 2020.20 update onto my PC, Garmin didn't detect any new maps on my PC, so I had to pay for the map. Since I downloaded the map onto my PC, and now onto my device, I have the updated maps, and Garmin thinks that I have lifetime maps now. However, I would still prefer installing the full update on the microSD card because the nuvi 1100 itself doesn't have enough space to store the entire map.
johnpoo offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 pm

OMG this is the first time you are say anything about Paying Garmin for a nuMaps onetime days ago I asked you to tell us everything !

johnpoo wrote:
GarmanNuvi wrote:Tell us what you have done and where did you download the map, so we done keep guessing.

nuvi 1100, 1200, 1250, 1260 32 GB microSD Class 2 to 10

So far, I've changed the file name on the microSD to "Map", and renamed the .img file according to what the .xml file told me to write it as. After booting up the nuvi 1100, the only map that was recognized was North America 2010.10. After that, I tried to update to 2021.20 on Garmin Express by saving the files onto the microSD card. After booting up the nuvi 1100 once again, I went into the map info settings and there wasn't an option for 2020.20. After noticing this issue, I went back to Garmin Express and I experienced an update loop. If the nuvi was connected after the updates finished, Garmin Express would say that there are no updates. Once I plug the wire back into the nuvi 1100, Garmin Express would tell me that I have the same exact updates to download. At this point, I have nothing else to do. Would the issue be because I'm using 2020.20 and not 2020.10? The microSD has no issue because after plugging in the nuvi 1100 to my PC, both the microSD card and the nuvi would be recognized by Windows. If you have the files for update 2020.10, could you please reply with the links so I can try with those?

For reference, this is the microSD card that I am currently using: [Please Register or Login to download file]

Try this as a last resort
I can only assume the SD card socket has never been used from manufacture pre 2010 ,so it is quite possible the contacts in the socket are less than clean. I would try with the device OFF plug & unplug the SD card a few times hoping the contacts clean themselves up.
Unfortunately the one you are considering from Ebay is the same age.
Personally I would have spent the $50 on a use much later model nuvi with lifetime maps for N.America !
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Faulty microSD card !

Postby johnpoo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 am

I'm really sorry. I need to be more specific when I reply :lol: . Actually, one of the things I did in the beginning was clean the microSD card slot, to make sure that no dust or gunk was inside the card, and that it wouldn't damage the microSD card itself. However, that did nothing to help the Garmin, since the slot must be busted or something.

Hey!
I got the Garmin nuvi 1100LM and inserted the microSD card onto my device, and the issue was the microSD card all along. I went ahead and refunded the microSD card and got a Samsung evo microSD 32GB, and that ended up working. I tested the map to see if it worked on my original nuvi 1100, and it ended up working. Im now debating whether or not to return and get a refund on the LM.
johnpoo offline

Previous

Return to General Discussions about Garmin