Stop device from going into MTP mode when connected to car c   

Stop device from going into MTP mode when connected to car c

Postby lealla » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:58 pm

Hi all,

I have a Garmin Drive 50LMT, and whenever I connect the charging cable to my car's USB port, it immediately goes into MTP mode. I.e it shows the screen with the orange icon showing the device connected with a cable. I have a lot of trouble trying to get it back to viewing maps.

Is there a hack or a way to permanently disable MTP mode, so I can just have it charging without worrying about losing my navigation while driving?

I have tried the official garmin cable, and a new expensive cable (which I saw suggested elsewhere online) but it has not made any difference. I am plugging it directly into my cars usb port, not via a charging device/cigarette lighter port.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
lealla offline

Re: Stop device from going into MTP mode when connected to c

Postby B1ng0 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:29 am

The problem is not with the device or its settings, it's because you're using a USB data cable so the device wrongly detects that it's being connected to a computer. There is a hack to use one of those, however you should just use the Garmin charger supplied with your Drive 50 which it meant to be plugged into the car's lighter port.
B1ng0 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby lealla » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Thank you B1ng0 - that's really good to know. Guess I'd better dig out that car charger and see how it goes. I had been using the usb port as it was in a more convenient spot in the car to run the cable.

Are you able to share a link to the hack so I can have a look just in case it's something that's going to work better? Thank you again for all your advice!
lealla offline

Postby FireFox58 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:27 am

Garmin units have the miniUSB port through which they are connected:
  • To the vehicle as a power supply
  • To the PC as a mass memory
The difference (so the function) is in the mini-usb plug:
  • Original GARMIN power cable has pin 4 connected to pin 5 via a 17.3 Kohm resistor
  • Normal mini-usb cables on the market (used for the PC) have a resistance (connected as above) of 200Kohm, or even without any resistance (more frequent case)
Garmin unit, through its internal divider, is able to discriminate between the two cables and starts in Navigation mode (point 1) or in PC mode (point 2)
In case you want to use a cable purchased after-market as power from car cigarette lighter, from USB to PC or even power supply to home network (so not original from plug) and you want to get the same performance of the Garmin cable, you have to change a miniUSB plug and change the resistance from 200K to 18K (I recommend to weld a 20K in parallel so as not to run the risk of damaging the connector). Sufficient a resistance of 1 / 8W 5%

Required materials: resistance, cutter, heat-shrink sheath of suitable section to the cable, lighter, welder with micro tip (if adjusted much better)

:lol:
FireFox58 offline

User avatar Member

Postby B1ng0 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:05 am

I can confirm the hardware hack posted above indeed works. Further confirmation:
Code: Select all
http://pinoutguide.com/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

There is also a messy procedure which may work with garmin devices using a generic USB charging cable:
  • Plug the cable into the power source.
  • Plug in the Garmin device which will start in PC mode.
  • When it shows the computer tower icon, immediately unplug the usb and it should then switch from PC mode to normal booting.
  • After it switches into boot mode, but before it's gone too far into the boot cycle plug in the cable again and it should continue to boot up fully into navigation mode.
  • Repeat the procedure each time you disconnect the power.
It's ok for an occasional use but I think it'd get very annoying very quickly. So much easier to just use the original lighter charger. ;)
B1ng0 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby lealla » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 pm

B1ng0 wrote: It's ok for an occasional use but I think it'd get very annoying very quickly. So much easier to just use the original lighter charger. ;)

Wow, absolutely! Here I was thinking it might involve a little bit of software coding or tricking the system, but this is a step up.
Thank you both for the tips - I had no idea the cables could differ in that way. I'll see how I go with the car charger, but I'm really glad to know that there is another option I can try if I want to - I do have a soldering iron, which I can dust off.

Thank you again for your advice, it is really helpful :D
lealla offline

How to prevent Garmin Nuvi 2597LTM going into PC mode

Postby maxderoswell » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:35 am

Sent Via PM: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:30 pm
To: GarmanNuvi

Hello,
I try to mod my car by fitting a Garmin Nuvi 2597LTM directly under the dashboard cover, so not removable.
I wish keep the possibility to update this one.
I had placed the unit and use this cable
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32840329377.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&spreadType=socialShare&bizType=ProductDetail&social_params=60085197291&aff_fcid=931ddd8cdbad4162ba46f3e16e85e236-1628583768910-04749-_vE62Us&tt=MG&aff_fsk=_vE62Us&aff_platform=default&sk=_vE62Us&aff_trace_key=931ddd8cdbad4162ba46f3e16e85e236-1628583768910-04749-_vE62Us&shareId=60085197291&businessType=ProductDetail&platform=AE&terminal_id=32d646648ac7420ba4bb968dde3ad2de

to have an access for the the lighter charger or the USB cord.
I have an issue because the unit doesn't show the video from the rear camera by using the BC30 cord.
With the classic lighter charger, the unit goes into PC mode before come back at normal.
Could you help me ?
Thank you so much.
M
maxderoswell offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:00 am

maxderoswell wrote:I have an issue because the unit doesn't show the video from the rear camera by using the BC30 cord.

The BC 30 Wireless transmitter and power cable has to connected directly to your nuvi NOT through the cable you gave a link to.
I would use a cigarette lighter socket mounted behind the centre consul, also you will have to make sure your firmware is up to date before installing to make sure support for the Garmin BC30 Wireless Backup Camera is installed.
Future up dates will have to be done with a laptop & USB cable if mounted permanently.
With the classic lighter charger, the unit goes into PC mode before come back at normal.

"Classic" power cables are not wired the same as Garmin power cables explained in this thread
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby maxderoswell » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:35 am

Hello,
thank you for this beginning of answer.
I can add some details.
I had de-solder the usb cable from the bc30 and I find a resistor of 5,72Koms between GND and iD (pin 4) wires.
I must keep my assembly like this with this middle cable, so do you think I just must add a resistor inside him ? What kind of value ?
Thank you so much.
maxderoswell offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:48 pm

maxderoswell wrote:I had de-solder the usb cable from the bc30 and I find a resistor of 5,72Koms between GND and iD (pin 4) wires.

That's how Garmin stop your device going into MTP mode when connected to the power cable.
I must keep my assembly like this with this middle cable, so do you think I just must add a resistor inside him ? What kind of value ?
Thank you so much.[/quote]
I don't know if this middle cable you bought can be both compatible with data transfer (Updating etc) and Powering & receiving the Video signal from the BC 30 camera. I would think Powering is primary as updating can be done annually.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Special USB cable for Nuvi?

Postby Galane » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:11 am

I want to power my Nuvi 1300 from a dual port USB 12v lighter socket adapter but most of the time when I connect it to that with a normal Mini B USB cable the silly thing switches to computer connected mode.

But *some of the time* it doesn't, if I turn the GPS on then plug in power, but some of the time even then it'll switch from showing the map to computer connected mode.

Is there a special cable that will make it NOT incorrectly detect that it's connected to a computer? Can I just cut open a cable and cut the data lines?
Galane offline

Guide on preventing the Garmin Nuvi from entering PC Sync mo

Postby lenart » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:53 am

I found a way to prevent the Garmin Nuvi from entering PC Sync mode while you are charging it with USB.
Step 1: Turn off your Garmin.
Step 2: Connect it with USB and let it enter PC Sync mode.
Step 3: When it's in PC Sync mode, lock it using the switch (my Garmin Nuvi has it at the top).
Step 4: Disconnect the USB and then connect it again when Garmin isn't in PC Sync mode anymore (when the PC icon disappears and Garmin starts loading).
And that's it! Let me know if it worked for you. 
lenart offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin