SOLVED Unable to install CityXplorer map   

SOLVED Unable to install CityXplorer map

Postby Gewitty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:50 pm

I've been updating the maps on my Nuvi 1340 today. I have a lifetime updater for the main European maps and successfully installed the latest update using Garmin Express.

As I have a trip to Paris coming up soon, I decided to buy the Paris CityXplorer. I logged on to my Garmin account and purchased the map OK, but when I came to download it onto the Nuvi, I got a message saying that the unit is registered to another user.

I checked my account details and sure enough, the Nuvi showed up as being registered to me, along with my Etrex Vista. I had a couple more tries at downloading, using the Garmin Communicator browser plugin, but although my Nuvi was recognised and offered as the target for the download, when I got to the acceptance of the T&C's, the download was terminated because of the registration problem.

So then I tried deleting the Nuvi from my registered list of devices. This looked as if it worked, as the Nuvi no longer appears in the list. However, when I tried to re-register it I was told that it was already registered.

So now I am unable to see the Nuvi on my account and am still unable to download the CityXplorer map. In other words, I'm completely screwed.

I've never been very impressed with Garmin's map management software, but this is really bad. It looks as if my information on their database is corrupted and I have no way to get it fixed. I've sent Garmin an email explaining the problem, but on past experience, I'll probably have been to Paris and come back by the time they reply.

Anyone got any ideas?

Update: Problem solved by a call to Garmin support desk. For some reason, although the Nuvi was correctly registered to my account, the serial number was incorrectly recorded (1 wrong digit). This apparently occurred when a previous problem required Garmin support to reinstate the device on my account.

Once the serial number had been corrected, the download worked OK.
Gewitty offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin