Shifting NT maps for China.   

Shifting NT maps for China.

Postby cla2012 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi everyone
Does anyone know how to "move" (shift) a map for China, so that the coordinates and the map do match?
There used to be an unofficial "venus" version of the Garmin latest China NT map updated regularly, but the guy doing it stopped a while ago.
I'm an European living in south China and I'm using an old 2015 map, the latest available, which is becoming a problem due to the speed at which new highways/roads appear over here.
I've spent quite some time looking for new ones, and I only found recent China "untouched" maps that are only compatible with "China HW" Garmin GPSs, as in they do not match the position (they're shifted the usual 600m).
The maps are in Chinese language, but that would be a "secondary" problem, sort of.
I'm looking for help on how to "move" the new maps as they are published, like the VENUS version, as in I'm looking for SW tools and method, so that I can mod them myself, anytime, VENUS style.
Anyone got any suggestion/link?
Thanks
BR

Postby cla2012 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 am

Anyone got any suggestion/link?
cla2012 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Re: Shifting NT maps for China, can anyone help me?

Postby Ichiban » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 am

I've lived in China and Hong Kong for many years and my best recommendation is to continue to use cellular-based GPS apps for your cellphone.
If you need the unit dedicated in the car, you could always get a cheap data plan and mobile device like a Samsung to run these apps.
Maps from 2015 are far too outdated and potentially dangerous if you aren't focused on the roads and relying on the old map information. For a country like North America, it would be fine but for China I would highly recommend trying what the locals have been using. Gaode Maps is very reliable and recommended by the locals.
Ichiban offline

Re: Shifting NT maps for China Success

Postby cla2012 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:36 pm

I finally made it to use recent standard official Garmin China maps on my European Garmin GPS units, overcoming the (about) 600 meters shift here in China, which was corrected in the past in the “Venus” modified maps.
I tested the fix and it works on all my nüvi 2595LM , 1490, 1250 and 250 four units, I have no idea about the compatibility of this fix with the whole Garmin lineup; please add comments with additional tested models and the test results, if any.
One just needs to copy the "006B082300.bin" official Garmin data correction file (that I extracted from my recently bought Garmin “Edge 1000 China” bike GPS) into the Garmin folder where the unlocked map is… et voilà, it works, as simple as that.
I’m currently successfully using an unlocked China 2019.20AN map, extracted from the above mentioned Edge 1000 unit, but the 2018.40 that I downloaded off a local forum works as well, both maps in simplified Chinese (CHS).
The main limitation is obviously being related to the lack of ways to input addresses in simplified Chinese on all nüvi 2595LM/1490/1250/250 Euro unit, which I wouldn’t be able to do anyway since my Mandarin is basic and spoken only, but I go on by coordinates and (once set), I just ask the GPS to bring me back to the Home coordinates.
It is to be noted that any prior recorded coordinate/POI (i.e.: Home) on the nüvi unit will be affected by the data correction file, as in it will NOT BE OK anymore, having been “moved” of the infamous 600 meters as well: the problem does not affect the long distance route calculation but then, once nearby the target, it sends you to the wrong (inexistent) place. The fix, again easy, is to re-save the position in the memory of the unit once you’re there for the first time after the fix, and then everything works properly.

Since the map is in CHS, my Euro nüvi units don’t recognize any pinyin romanized spelling of the names of any city or road that I tried: if anyone were to try and succeed, comments and suggestions are welcome.
It remains unfortunate that an English version of the China map after 2015-2016 ones is no longer available, shifted or not.

I hope that the reverse process will work as well: whenever possible, I’ll test my new “Edge 1000 China” outside of China (Europe, likely), with local maps, where I should be able to use it without shift-related problems by temporarily removing the above mentioned "006B082300.bin" file from the map folder on the unit.

[Please Register or Login to download file]
Last edited by GarmanNuvi on Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated 006B082300.bin download link
cla2012 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Re: Shifting NT maps for China.

Postby garychow » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:22 pm

I can’t download the bin file 006B082300.bin, can anyone reupload for me?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by GarmanNuvi on Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed email address
garychow offline

Re: Shifting NT maps for China.

Postby GarmanNuvi » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:44 pm

garychow wrote:I can’t download the bin file 006B082300.bin, can anyone reupload for me?
Thanks in advance.

Please do not ask for an Email. The forum is about sharing with all members
Link updated.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Return to General Discussions about Garmin