Oregon 700 Garmin Topo V9   

Oregon 700 Garmin Topo V9

Postby rudi ratlos » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi, everyone,
just bought a new Oregon 700. As I unfortunately had to find out, for example my Topo V9 from the Oregon 500 no longer runs on the 700 series.
Since I have a warranty on the device, I wouldn't want to patch it.
My question now is the following: I got a fast Sandisk 32 GB card for the device on which the map material (different maps) should be saved. If I buy the new Topo V9 pro on an SD card, can I copy it to the 32 GB card I bought and it will then work? Or do I have to buy the download version and then copy it to the 32 GB card? However, the map version is currently very cheap on offer.
It would be great if someone with experience on the subject could help me.

LG
Rudi
Last edited by GarmanNuvi on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Translate first & last time. English language forum
rudi ratlos offline

Re: Oregon 700 Garmin Topo V9

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:34 pm

rudi ratlos wrote:Hi, everyone,
If I buy the new Topo V9 pro on an SD card, can I copy it to the 32 GB card I bought and it will then work?

No, maps are locked to the SD cards ID, you will only be able to use the card on either device
TOPO Germany v9 PRO ???
Oregon 700 HWID 2512 ?

Oregon 7xx | 2512 | 420 | MAP: Yes | GMA: Yes | MSV: Weak | GVS: ---
MSV: Weak - it verifies the validity of map signatures in a simple way, you can unlock an .img using gimgunlock-0.04 (without patching your firmware), but in case of unicode maps (CP65001) you must modify the CP value
Read about the same situation
new-maps/garmin-topo-france-pro-entire-country-territories-t22357.html?start=15
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby rudi ratlos » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Ok, dann kann ich die SD-Karten Version für mich vergessen. Wie sieht es denn mit der Downloadversion aus? Darf die mit anderen OSM/OTM Karten auf eine SD-Karte? Ich finde diesbezüglich nichts im Netz. Wäre schön, wenn mir hier jemand helfen könnte.

‎Ok, then I can forget the SD card version for me. What about the download version? Is it allowed to use other OSM/OTM cards on an SD card? I can't find anything on the net in this regard. Would be nice if someone could help me here.‎
rudi ratlos offline

Postby rudi ratlos » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Oh, ich sehe gerade, dass ich im englischen Forum gelandet bin. Das sollte eigentlich in das deutsche Forum. Kann das bitte ein Mod. verschieben? Danke

‎Oh, I just see that I ended up in the English forum. This should actually be in the German forum. Can a mod. please move this? Thank you‎
rudi ratlos offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:54 pm

rudi ratlos wrote:‎Oh, I just see that I ended up in the English forum. This should actually be in the German forum. Can a mod. please move this? Thank you‎

No, that is not possible...you'll need a separate account on the German forum and then repost this message
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby B1ng0 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:36 pm

rudi ratlos wrote:.................
‎Ok, then I can forget the SD card version for me. What about the download version?

Of course if you BUY the official map download from Garmin it will work either in the device's internal memory or on an inserted SD card because it's licensing will be linked to the Oregon's 10-digit Unit ID number.
To use the Topo map data which was intended for and licensed to a different device/SD you will need to use one of the following two methods*:
(i) Unlock the IMG file with gimgunlock v0.04 and then change it's Code Page entries if needed from 65001 (unicode) to 1252 (latin) using IMGTool. Test in device. If should work but without unicode features. To use unicode, unload the CP-modified IMG file and load the unlocked original IMG. All unicode features should then be enabled until the next hard-reset of the device;
or
(ii) Unlock the IMG file with gimgunlock 0.04 and additionally treat the device firmware with IMGPatcher v2.20 (aka "Universal Firmware Patcher for Protected Garmin Devices") then reflash the patched fw to the device.
*First method only works if the protected device's fw has 'weak' MSV. Second method works for both 'weak' and 'strong' MSV (Map Signature Verification). Oregon 7xxx HWID 2512 has weak MSV.

Is it allowed to use other OSM/OTM cards on an SD card? I can't find anything on the net in this regard. Would be nice if someone could help me here.‎

I haven't tested on an Oregon 7xx but you at most may need to treat the IMG or the firmware as detailed above.
B1ng0 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin