An observation and request   

An observation and request

Postby drzcharlie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:53 pm

I have learned a lot from this forum and consider it top notch resource for finding the things we want to add to our GPS units. However I would like to make the observation that while the resources are available for download the instructions to do so are very vague and in some cases non-existent.

So, I would like to suggest/propose that a tutorial section be added to aid in placing mapsdirectly into the units and into to mapsource for uploading to the units.

As a for instance I have downloaded the mapsource patch that is supposed to make it easy to add new maps in the future. However, I am very worried that I will miss a step and make my unit inoperable.

It would be of great assistance for each forum to provide a "how to" tutorial section so that we are able to do a step by step install of maps without asking for undue assistance. Failing adding a section perhaps contributors could provide a step by step for the products/patches they are providing.

I mean no disrespect to those that work so hard to make it easier for the rest of us. Instead, I wish to learn more but need assistance to do so.

Thanks in advance
drzcharlie offline

Postby Black Wolf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 am

One suggestion for you, but when you give suggestions: What do you think , that you create that a little tutorial about things that have been learned here?

Learn for once, nobody here has not been paid for what works, everything is good will, another thing , being next to each link and instructions on how something is used and what tutorial for such things?!

If someone needed tutorial on how to use copy-paste to copy UNLOCKED IMAGE, and even it is in the instructions, then that person should not use his device!

With each program, each release, there are instructions, so making things such as tutorials for CLICK-INSTAL-RUN SETUP, is really unnecessary thing and if anyone has extra time, or if you have more time, idea, you can make some tutorial! All around on net, you can find some tutorials, you can edit them and post, if that's easier for you.

After all hard work from many members and mods here, this isn't really nice "to make it easier for the rest of us. " , why you don't try to make it easier for rest of us.

Tnx for you suggestion, but think a little bit about my words, and another side, that nobody here doesn't must to do something, all we are here just to share our knowledge, expirience, etc.
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby drzcharlie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Sucro,

First, I am VERY appreciative of this site and the hard work of the members. HOWEVER, when noobs like myself ask questions we almost have to deflect the inference that we are dumb. All I am asking is that when we (noobs) post a question that someone respond with a less accusatory response. I admit I am a noob, I admit I am learning and I only asked this question because it is very confusing to apply these processes and make things work.

I would be happy to post a "how to" tutorial once I really know "how to". Cut and pasting the unlocked image file is not a problem. What to name it sometimes is, where to put it sometimes is. It also is not clear to a NOOB that the .img files only work with units that have sd cards and that they don't work with units with memory cards.

I have learned these things but Noobs (such as I am) actually don't know where to look on this magnificent website or sometimes what the terminology is so we can search for it.

As a for instance I asked this question because I don't know how to do this. 22 views and nobody has responded. I would assume that nobody knows how to do this or they would have responded right? If this answer was in a thread I would have found it because I have searched many times now. If someone actually does respond I would be more than happy to put it into a "how to" format and post it.

Kudos to you and the others for what you have acheived here but you need to understand that we are not all experts. It was just a suggestion so, if it cannot be done fine. I think you may have misinterpreted what I was trying to convey and for that my apologies.
drzcharlie offline

Postby Black Wolf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:32 pm

drzcharlie wrote:Sucro,

First, I am VERY appreciative of this site and the hard work of the members. HOWEVER, when noobs like myself ask questions we almost have to deflect the inference that we are dumb. All I am asking is that when we (noobs) post a question that someone respond with a less accusatory response. I admit I am a noob, I admit I am learning and I only asked this question because it is very confusing to apply these processes and make things work.

I would be happy to post a "how to" tutorial once I really know "how to". Cut and pasting the unlocked image file is not a problem. What to name it sometimes is, where to put it sometimes is. It also is not clear to a NOOB that the .img files only work with units that have sd cards and that they don't work with units with memory cards.

I have learned these things but Noobs (such as I am) actually don't know where to look on this magnificent website or sometimes what the terminology is so we can search for it.

As a for instance I asked this question because I don't know how to do this. 22 views and nobody has responded. I would assume that nobody knows how to do this or they would have responded right? If this answer was in a thread I would have found it because I have searched many times now. If someone actually does respond I would be more than happy to put it into a "how to" format and post it.

Kudos to you and the others for what you have acheived here but you need to understand that we are not all experts. It was just a suggestion so, if it cannot be done fine. I think you may have misinterpreted what I was trying to convey and for that my apologies.

No need apologies, everything is ok! But you need to understand other side, people who give you support, and you'll get answer, solution, etc, when somebody will have time to write you, if you put new thread, that doesn't mean that somebody wait just that you make new thread, and can't wait to answer you :) , understand that people here have another obligations in their private life, etc etc. and wehn somebody will have more free time, will answer you, if you can't wait for answer, always you can find some people out of this site, in some PC services, or something like this who sell that services, adding maps to your device, repairing, etc etc.

Here i finish with this discussion, enough from me!
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Return to General Discussions about Garmin