Nuvi 550 question   

Nuvi 550 question

Postby drzcharlie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:54 pm

First, is this the proper place to ask a question about the functions of a Nuvi 550 specifically the recalculate function?
drzcharlie offline

Postby PiEtU » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes that is proper place
PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby drzcharlie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks,

Prior to describing my problem here is some history regarding the unit.

1. The unit has Mapsource CN North America NT 2011.10
2. The unit has the latest software update Software Version 3.70, GPS SW Version 2.47b
3. Navigation: Route preference : Faster Time, Avoidances: Disabled
4. Usage Mode: Scootering
5. Map: Detail: More, Map View: Track up
6. Map info: CN North America NT 2001.10 ticked
7. Custom Routes: Only one installed and chosen

The problem

I laid out a "custom" route to be installed on my Nuvi 550 and imported it to the unit. I made sure I chose the correct route. This was an un-proven route (one I had not been on before). I followed the route but alone the way I encountered several "dead ends", "private property do not tresspass signs", and non-existent roads. I all cases I returned back to the last intersection that led me to the problem spots.

As I encountered the encumbrunces and returned to the previous intersection the Nuvi would of course deduce that this was reason to re-route. The re-route would invariably lead to loss of the custom route. I would then have to go back to the custom route and re-enable it in hopes that I could navigate around the encumbrance.

The unit would continued to auto re-calculate before I could zoom out to see possible adjacent routes. This would again cause me to loose the custom route. This happened over and over until I eventually navigated around the encumbrance.

I also had an "unflagged" version of the route imported to the unit. Unflagged in that I found a conversion program that would remove the "shaping points" from the route to unclutter the tight course I was navigating (motorcycle trail ride).

I noticed that the unflagged version would also recaculate but with one caveate. The route would stay where I had zoomed it. When dirt bike trail riding I like to keep the zoom at 800ft so that I can see what is coming up. The unit did NOT change my zoom settings when using the unflagged version presumably because the shaping points would not warn it to zoom out to see intersections.

So, the question is how can I "work around" this problem? The Nuvi does not have a button or switch to stop auto recalculation but does anyone know of a way to disable or to fool the unit into thinking the feature is disabled?
drzcharlie offline

Postby PiEtU » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:07 pm

IF and i mean IF :-) , I understand correctly what you mean... nuvi contain that button tools/settings/routing/Off.Route recalculation
PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby drzcharlie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:26 pm

pietu wrote:IF and i mean IF :-) , I understand correctly what you mean... nuvi contain that button tools/settings/routing/Off.Route recalculation

Pietu,

The Nuvi 550 does not have a way to shut off the recalculate function. I am seeking a work around to prevent auto recalculation. Thanks
drzcharlie offline

Postby Black Wolf » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Try to put it into offroad
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby drzcharlie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:32 pm

[size=100]Off road will show the map/track but is this the fix I am looking for? Off road WILL NOT recalculate correct?[/size]

Sucro,

I also received the Zumo 550 update link from you. This will not work on this unit as it is a Nuvi 550.
drzcharlie offline

Postby drzcharlie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 am

Thank you for your assistance. I determined that the 550 was not the unit suited for my purposes and sold it.
drzcharlie offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin