nuvi 265w no USB access   

nuvi 265w no USB access

Postby jueylea » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 am

Hoping the brains trust can help out. Have an old Nuvi 265w which I am trying to get my favourites off of. unit is extremely slow to start and respond to button presses but it still works. I cannot get it to connect to Garmin express or webupdator. Drives are seen when connected within windows, SD is accessable but the unit itself isn't and it just hangs, even left over night. Doesn't show as a garmin unit just a drive. I have tried on 3 different pc's with the same issues present. Tried all I can find, press and hold here and there, plug into usb to no avail. Unit is displaying that it is in the right mode.
Is there anyway to recover or is this a lost cause...
jueylea offline

Re: nuvi 265w no USB access

Postby kolokythas » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 am

Hi! It seams to me like a battery problem. Did you tried to reset all the data on it?
But according to me it does not deserves to spend nerves and time with you can find on internet cheap more new devices
kolokythas offline

Postby jueylea » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 am

Unit is fully charged and runs for some time on battery. Have a new one but simply want to get the hundreds of favourites off.
jueylea offline

Postby kolokythas » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 am

I had a similar problem with an old nuvi660 and it was the battery my proposal is to leave it for charging many hours and then to try may work for few minutes enough to recover your data.
kolokythas offline

Postby kolokythas » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am

try to connect to it with Basecamp on the PC you may recover faster your data
kolokythas offline

Postby jueylea » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks, I'll leave charging for a few days maybe and have a crack. Unable to connect with basecamp or mapsource. It runs which is strange. Have been thinking battery. Also tried at least 6 or so USB cabels
jueylea offline

Postby kolokythas » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 am

It is not a usb problem is just the device which is hanging because of the low battery
kolokythas offline

Postby B1ng0 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

jueylea wrote:Unit is fully charged and runs for some time on battery. Have a new one but simply want to get the hundreds of favourites off.

If it runs on battery without unilaterally powering off itself then the problem is elsewhere. It might be a faulty USB socket or it's connection to the PCB although the latter's not a common problem with 2x5W series. Try to hard-reset it by having it fully off, hold the lower RH corner of the screen and power on until you see the prompt then select 'Yes'. You'll lose your favourites however. Also then calibrate the screen, hold the top LH corner and power on, keep holding for about 30 secs to enter the white calibration screen.

If that doesn't fix it you may need to load cure firmware to regain Mass Storage Mode, or reflow the USB socket solder connections. A failing flash chip is also a possibility.
B1ng0 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby jueylea » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Appreciate the responses. Tried a different battery last night with all the same issues.
I haven't yet searched as not on pc, does anyone have a link to cure software which can be loaded via sd card I assume? Avoiding hard reset as the favourites are all I'm after
jueylea offline

Postby Hirvitie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 am

Do you have OEM version? You couldn't can see Garmin logo in during of loading in this case!
Hirvitie offline

Postby jueylea » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:09 am

As far as I know its an oem version with logo at startup etc
jueylea offline

Postby B1ng0 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm

jueylea wrote:Appreciate the responses. Tried a different battery last night with all the same issues.
I haven't yet searched as not on pc, does anyone have a link to cure software which can be loaded via sd card I assume? Avoiding hard reset as the favourites are all I'm after

You can use an SD card with update.txt commands to copy "current.gpx" file from the device's GPX folder to the SD which can then be written back after a reset as "temp.gpx" to preserve your favourites. That's much simpler and safer than using cure firmware as a hard reset is very likely to restore M.S.M. access to PC provided there isn't a hardware issue with the USB socket.

If you don't know how to do it I can make an SD card kit for you, post again requesting if you need that and I'll prepare it for you.
B1ng0 offline

Postby jueylea » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Mate if your able to prepare a transfer to sd card file Id be most grateful
jueylea offline

Postby B1ng0 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:30 am

We may as well do this properly so you have a full backup of the device: Download the ZIP file from the link below and extract it directly to the root of a clean SD card, use one of at least 2GB size. Insert the card into the nuvi with it fully off, then connect it to a power source which will power it on. If it is still reading from SD, 'Loader' or similar message appears on screen just like when a firmware is being loaded. It will take a while to finish which is why it's best not to do this on battery because the entire internal file system will be backed up to the Backup subfolder in the Garmin folder. Also in the Garmin folder will be a new file "41.bin" which is a copy of the device's region 41, aka it's non-volatile memory. Wait for it to finish, you'll know it has when it boots. [Please Register or Login to download file]
B1ng0 offline

Postby jueylea » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 am

Thanks B1ng0! Gotta love the community help!
Went through the process and managed to copy everything the SD Card. Frustrating thing there is no current.gpx file in the gpx folder. Only an Archive folder which contains number.gpx files which when opened in basecamp are just trip logs. I have no idea whats going on here....
Tried twice with the same result.
Checked to see if somehow they have gone from the unit post this and all the favourites are still showing on the unit itself.
Could they be saved anywhere else? I searched for gpx files in the backup folder and only the files I can see are found.
Puzzling to say the least!
jueylea offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about Garmin