Nuvi 1300 performance issue - slow to load map   

Nuvi 1300 performance issue - slow to load map

Postby Mapmart » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:51 am

Hello everyone,

Just updated an old nuvi 1300 to latest FW 6.30 and installed an updated map - aside this new one, it only has gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img in the internal memory, and JaVaWa Device Manger warns to not remove them.

Thing is, when using the nuvi, it is very slow to load the map - to "draw" the map in the screen, if that makes sense, not the initial load. I moved the map from internal memory to SD card hoping to free up internal memory and boost performance, but no, same issue.

So I did a full reset, and also reinstalled the FW (same version) through JaVaWa Device Manager, but again same issue, no fix.

Trying to find anything else that could be related, when viewing gpx files on JaVaWa Device Manager I got message that the following files are corrupted:

E:\GPX\Archive\21.gpx
E:\GPX\Archive\9.gpx
E:\GPX\Archive\14.gpx
E:\GPX\Archive\15.gpx
E:\GPX\Archive\18.gpx

Is there any way to fix this? Could those corrupted files be related to the reported symptom - running slow?

Thanks!
Mapmart offline

Re: Nuvi 1300 performance issue - slow to load map

Postby GarmanNuvi » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:36 am

You did this ?
To perform a master reset on your nuvi, follow the steps outlined below:
Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
Release the power button when the device powers ON
Remove your finger from the touchscreen when the message 'Do you really want to erase all user data?' appears
Touch Yes
The device will now be reset and you should no longer experience the freezing issue.

The master reset will erase all saved favourites,
[Please Register or Login to download file]

Back up GPX\Archive & delete from device
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby Mapmart » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:59 am

GarmanNuvi wrote:You did this ?
To perform a master reset on your nuvi, follow the steps outlined below:
Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
Release the power button when the device powers ON
Remove your finger from the touchscreen when the message 'Do you really want to erase all user data?' appears
Touch Yes
The device will now be reset and you should no longer experience the freezing issue.

Yes, I did this, that's what I meant by "full reset". Just to clarify, it never fully freezes, it just takes a long time to draw the map - 10 seconds or more. Navigation works fine regardless, even with half map loaded or not map at all.

GarmanNuvi wrote:You did this ?
Back up GPX\Archive & delete from device

Is it safe to delete them from the device? Data wise, I just got it, so it has no personal data - i.e. favorites, POI, etc - in it. So if those files are not required by the system I do not really need them. Should I delete the whole folder or just the files in it?

Another piece of information, when entering the diagnostic (?) mode - hold down the battery icon for a few seconds - both RAM and ROM tests do not change from PENDING status. I didn't try further testing as I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.
Mapmart offline

Postby Mapmart » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:11 pm

Hello,
An update on this. I never fixed that unit, and got another one. But again, same issue, it is very slow to load the maps. Sometimes I drive for about 30 seconds with no map drawn all. I'm using the same maps that I use on my other nuvi 2XX, and working fine - for reference, South America 2022. No difference running them form internal memory or SD card. Connecting both 1300 units on JaVaWa device manager shows no errors or corrupted files. As a side note, by entering the "test screen" - holding down battery icon for a while - ROM and RAM tests both units read "Pending" and do not change from that. My other nuvi 2XX units read "Pass" after testing it. Any thoughts? Can I assume both units have some kind of memory issue and that's what is causing the problem? Or is it something else I'm missing?
Thanks
Mapmart offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:20 am

Mapmart wrote:Hello,
An update on this. I never fixed that unit, and got another one. But again, same issue, Any thoughts? Can I assume both units have some kind of memory issue and that's what is causing the problem? Or is it something else I'm missing?
Thanks

These are both basic older units, I'm sure this time "loading maps" is normal & only happens on initial start up. When these device first came out maps were much smaller 30 second sound right.

They might be having a problem with the map size SAM 1.42 GB
try Brazil 846 MB
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Use the report function on JaVaWa so we can understand what other maps you have loaded .You can choose to have it on you PC or load to their server (Send link via PM)
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby Mapmart » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:05 pm

Hi GN,
I agree that those are old units, but the thing is, I have a bunch of nuvi 2XX units that are even older and all fo them load maps way faster than the 1300 - and I'm using the same maps for both. It also doesn't happen only at startup, if I drive for a while and make, let's says, a sharp turn, it will take forever to draw the map again.

GarmanNuvi wrote:These are both basic older units, I'm sure this time "loading maps" is normal & only happens on initial start up. When these device first came out maps were much smaller 30 second sound right.

Actually the issue is not this initial load, it's when I click on MAP. It stays blank for a long time, even after acquiring satellites.

I'll PM you with the JaVaWa report, thanks for your help. And I'll also try the Brazil map - thanks for sharing - but again the same map works fine on the old 2XX units.
Cheers
Mapmart offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin