Map problem with DriveSmart 50   

Re: City Navigator Thailand NT 2020.20 (Dual) FID 8530

Postby bartpix » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 am

Will this map work on DriveSmart 50? Thank you.
<PartNumber>006-B2267-00</PartNumber>
<SoftwareVersion>590</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>Garmin DriveSmart 50</Description
bartpix offline

Re: City Navigator Thailand NT 2020.20 (Dual) FID 8530

Postby bartpix » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Tried simulation mode, seemed to work OK. Tried touching speed icon and holding numerous times - nothing. Maybe on the Drivesmart 50 it is "Restore" by touching the 3 bars top left in settings? I set a destination and took a drive, worked OK until I veered off the shown route. It did not recalculate but started flashing the map on and off.
I will return to my 2019 NT map and wait for 2021 map to arrive. One last question please - what is the latest Nuvi unit that can be patched?

I have tried this map again and without setting a destination the map appears to work fine but as soon as I set a destination the map starts flashing a blank page every few seconds. I re-patched my DriveSmart 50 in case it was somehow causing it, but still the same. Anyone have any ideas what is happening?
bartpix offline

Map problem with DriveSmart 50

Postby bartpix » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:07 am

Has anyone had the following problem and found a solution?
Loaded on two seperate SD cards a 2019 and a 2020 unlocked map. Both maps seem to work fine without setting a destination, following the route driven. But when a destination is set, the green bar at top flips between 0 and 99% Calculating and the map itself blinks on and off. Having checked with the 2 SD cards and seperate maps and achieving the same results , I am guessing the problem is with the firmware (5.90). But I have patched the unit 3 times and got the 154.bin file each time (indicating success?).
Anyone have any ideas?

Just wondering if patch needs to be applied to firmware 5.70? If so, where can I download it from?
bartpix offline

Re: Map problem with DriveSmart 50

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:19 am

This has to be approached methodically.
Post a screen capture of the lay out of the file on the SD card, did you put the SQLite files into the SQLite folder in the device ?
Did you do a reset as suggested ?
A factory or master reset is like most other Garmin devices:
1.Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power •To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
2.Power on the device
3.When the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
4.Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
5.Touch Yes
•If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

Another option to perform a master reset for these devices:
1.Touch View Map
2.Touch the Speed icon
3.Touch and hold the speedometer for approximately 5 seconds
4.Release your touch when the Diagnostics Page displays
5.Touch Clear all user data
6.Touch Yes when prompted to "Erase all user data?"

Do the existing maps on the device do the same if not then it is not a Firmware problem.
Download another map set like [Please Register or Login to download file] and see if the symptoms remain, that will eliminate a map issue. ?

Read your PM.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby bartpix » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:45 am

I have problem inserting screenshot image, putting folder list as seen:

D5981170A(fourSquare)
Garmin
JCV
PNX
SQlite

I tried to move the SQlite to the unit but it wanted to replace the existing file which I presumed was for the NA map and should be left alone.

I started to try it again when the 2019 map started the same blinking on and off after setting a destination.
As per your suggestions - first I tried the Main NA map in simulated mode (Jersey to New York) stopped calculating at 52%. Second I tried NY City to East Hampton - again stopped calculating at 52%. Downloaded your NZ map, tried Wellington to Masterton in simulated mode 3 times - each time stopped calculating at 7%.
Read your PM and I hope the .xml file got through OK. Many Thanks.
bartpix offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:39 am

[quote="bartpix";p=180167]
so from your tests all maps are causing an issue ,that points to the device. You really have do a reset (clear non volatile memory) as that clears up many problems.
From what I can see from your file the additional maps are on the SD card that is good.
Remove the SD card and hold the power button for 12 seconds .Put into Simulation mode and try a short US trip.

If this does not work turn the device fully off,hold the bottom right side of the screen and power up the device hold until you are asked to delete all user details,say OK.Choose USA as a locale and test again.

Don't worry about the Thailand maps yet,lets get the device working properly with the map it came with.
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby bartpix » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:16 am

Hi again,
I have put the HWM file from the SD card into SQlite on unit. Retested Jersey City to Hoboken, Calculating again stopped at 52%.
Not having a gupdate.gcd or the flashed version on the unit is OK?
bartpix offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 pm

bartpix wrote:Hi again,
I have put the HWM file from the SD card into SQlite on unit. Retested Jersey City to Hoboken, Calculating again stopped at 52%.
Not having a gupdate.gcd or the flashed version on the unit is OK?

The firmware is installed on the device or it would not work, the gupdate.gcd is deleted on some devices after it has been used.
Don't worry about the Thailand maps yet, lets get the device working properly with the map it came with.

I did the exact same trip,calculated so fast I didn't have time to make a screen capture.
Simulated Jersey City to JFK without problem.
Setting a Simulated Location
If you are indoors or not receiving satellite signals, you can use the GPS to set a simulated location.
Select Settings > Navigation > GPS Simulator.
From the main menu, select View Map.
Tap the map twice to select an area.
The address of the location appears at the bottom of the screen.
Select the location description.
Select Set Location.

GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby bartpix » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 am

Hi again, followed your instructions and proceeded as below:
Check 2 US Maps ticked. (CN North America NT 2021.20 ALL + Foursquare)
Tick GPS Simulator
Tried your "tap twice etc" map shows Thailand even though no SD card inserted.
Change My Current Location to New York city.
Set destination to JFK Intl Airport. Cannot find.
Change destination to Queens. Recognizes this and starts to calculate. Stops at 52%.
Again set location to NY and destination to Amagansett (159Km. away) jumps to Amagansett with voice Arriving to Amagansett.
Then tried Amagansett to Queens and it works? Go back to NY to Hoboken and it works.
Turn off unit. Turn back on Check maps ticked, set simulated. Set location NY city Destination JFK parking. It continues with Amagansett to Queens simulation even though this had been stopped and unit shut down and restarted.
Seems like the firmware / software is acting erratically, maybe a wipe and reload is required?
Forgot to say, if connected to Garmin Express it says firmware is 6.0 even though unit details says 5.90.
bartpix offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm

bartpix wrote:Hi again, followed your instructions and proceeded as below:
Check 2 US Maps ticked. (CN North America NT 2021.20 ALL + Foursquare)
Tick GPS Simulator

Tried your "tap twice etc" map shows Thailand even though no SD card inserted.

There must be a copy of Thailand on your device or you are not turning the device off so it can refresh the list.
Change My Current Location to New York city.
Set destination to JFK Intl Airport. Cannot find.

Start on the home page Where To /search near /A different town/New York City, then use categories/Public transport/Airports/JFK/info/scroll down & Set location This is now your starting point.Go back to Where to and choose a destination.( I use airports as they are normally spread out)
Change destination to Queens. Recognizes this and starts to calculate. Stops at 52%.
Again set location to NY and destination to Amagansett (159Km. away) jumps to Amagansett with voice Arriving to Amagansett.
Then tried Amagansett to Queens and it works? Go back to NY to Hoboken and it works.
Turn off unit. Turn back on Check maps ticked, set simulated. Set location NY city Destination JFK parking. It continues with Amagansett to Queens simulation even though this had been stopped and unit shut down and restarted.

You have to have set "Set location" this is not the same as search near from the home screen. You have to stop navigation ,imagine stopping for gas and having to re enter al the details again

Seems like the firmware / software is acting erratically, maybe a wipe and reload is required?
Forgot to say, if connected to Garmin Express it says firmware is 6.0 even though unit details says 5.90.

Many are using this Firmware but if you want I'll make you a SD card kit to downgrade and remove the Patch.
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby bartpix » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 am

Hi again, following your exact directions I do as below;

Home page/Where to/Searching near/A different city/New York City/Categories/Transit/Airports/JFK Intl/Info/Set location/Go

And it goes straight to the end(arrived) and shows as image sent to dropbox.
If you think a downgrade would be the surest solution I'll take it thanks.
bartpix offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:40 am

bartpix wrote:Hi again, following your exact directions I do as below;

Home page/Where to/Searching near/A different city/New York City/Categories/Transit/Airports/JFK Intl/Info/Set location/Go
And it goes straight to the end(arrived) and shows as image sent to dropbox.

Home page/Where to/Searching near/A different city/New York City/Categories/Transit/Airports/JFK Intl/Info/Set location.(start point)
Go back to "Where to" and choose a destination.( I use another airport as they are normally spread out)
Your picture shows exactly what you did Start out location the same as destination. 39min round trip

If you think a downgrade would be the surest solution I'll take it thanks.

Just wondering if patch needs to be applied to firmware 5.70? If so, where can I download it from?

I don't think a downgrade is the solution. I don't have 5.70 only 5.60
[Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby bartpix » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:37 am

Hi again,
Have downgraded to 5.60 and rerun simulated trip NY to JFK - all works well.
Turned off unit to try again and Calculating stops at 52% while showing a detailess screen of my location without an SD card inserted eventually and the US maps being unticked and reticked before attempting simulation.
After approx 10 mins. of the screen "Calculating 52%" a window appears saying route cannot be calculated.
bartpix offline

Postby bartpix » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 am

Could the GPS file be corrupted?
Or is it possible to wipe the unit and reload full file set?
bartpix offline

Postby bartpix » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 am

Is there any member here that has a DriveSmart 50 and has / had a similar problem with SD card maps?
bartpix offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about Garmin