Internal loading of new garmin maps   

Internal loading of new garmin maps

Postby fmmagyar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 am

Recently purchased a 1350. Initially had difficulty (2 days) trying to load on sd card. Got quick simple instructions and it was easy as pie. Tutorials confused me. Can someone please write simple steps to install new map internally to Garmin GPS. ie do you use an image or regular download? and then simple prcedures please. thanking you beforehand for your responses.
fmmagyar offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 am

step by step tutorial for replacing internal map on nuvi 12xx, 13xx, 14xx and 16xx

1. in hidden folder [garmindevice]\.System\ delete the files gmapprom.img, gmapprom.unl and gmapprom.sum after backup on PC

2. download new unlocked image version (normal NT, not Unicode) and copy it after extraction (gmapsupp.img or gmapprom.img) to folder [garmindevice]\.System\ - if it's named gmapsupp.img rename it to gmapprom.img (take care for exactly right name)

3. replace *.jcv in folder [garmindevice]\.System\JCV\ with new downloaded version
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby fmmagyar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:17 am

Thank you for your directions. Makes it a lot easier.
fmmagyar offline

Postby landcruiser99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 am

Finally, an answer to my curiousity!..
landcruiser99 offline

Postby fmmagyar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I want to thank you for your simple instructions. It makes it a lot easier.

But I have a problem which i do not know if you can solve. I followed your instructions but for some strange reason I can not find the hidden files. I have double checked and applied the hidden files activation on my laptop and desktop pc. They just do not show. In fact I can not find the maps files on my garmin although I know they are there. The only thing that shows is 195 mb of files (properties) even when i backed it up when I first setup my garmin. Should I cal Garmin and ask why i can not see the map files? Recently had a map update and same thing no showing of hidden map files. I have a 1350 life time update of maps and traffic but want to help a family member to update their Garmin. The additional map via the sd card is a piece of cake but the NA map is a problem for me. Do you think that perhaps these files would show up on using the garmin I want to upgrade as it is an older addition. Just seeking your opinion. Do not want to make this a big issue. Thank you again for your help
fmmagyar offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 pm

If your Windows settings concerning hidden files are correct, it could be the Gateway Settings of your nuvi.

This is the case if connected nuvi has no Drive Letter - it is connected as Multimedia device and not as Mass Storage. (otherwise your Windows access rights are not properly)

Change Gateway Settings:
1. on Volume page -> press upper right corner at least 3 s
2. Diagnostics Page -> MPT Settings
3. MPT Settings: change from MPT Auto to DetectMass Storage (or Mass Storage Single Session) -> Save
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby fmmagyar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 am

Shows F drive (Internal) and G Drive (SD Card) when connected to laptop. Thus no need for gateway settings change which i could not do with my 1350. Pressed right hand corner three times and nothing happened. Had requested that when downloading map it goes to gps and pc folder. can't find it on pc even thought had a recent map update. Will call Garmin in AM and see if they can help. Thank you for the suggestion.
fmmagyar offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 am

In this case it is no GARMIN issue and I think they won't help you - it is a Windows problem. You have to check Your access rights to hidden and system folders, UAC and user account rights. You also can try an alternative file manager like Total Commander (shareware) - there you can set handling of hidden files and folders independently from Windows Explorer.
Sometimes it is also possible to write the folder name of hidden folder in Explorer address line e.g. F:\.System to get their content displayed.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby fmmagyar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:16 pm

You are the man. You are correct, it was not a garmin problem. I use Total Commander and good the system to show its files as you earlier wrote. I am sure now that I can help update a family members Garmin. thank you so much for your help and assistance. ;)
fmmagyar offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin