installing unlock maps   

installing unlock maps

Postby war » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:16 am

hello all , i know how to unlock maps with mapsource and send it to my gps. but i found an unlock map, My questions is how do i send it to my gps or install it ?

and poi folder, can i just copy paste to my garmin folder in my garmin ?

thank you
war offline

Postby PiEtU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:10 am

war wrote:hello all , i know how to unlock maps with mapsource and send it to my gps. but i found an unlock map, My questions is how do i send it to my gps or install it ?

and poi folder, can i just copy paste to my garmin folder in my garmin ?

thank you

You can copy unlocked Image [SD-Card]:\Garmin directory named GMAPSUPP.IMG or device internal memory [x]:\garmin directory named GMAPPROM.IMG,GMAPSUPP.IMG,GMAPSUP2.IMG ....
PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby war » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:55 pm

i did that, made a folder name garmin, paste it there. but still i dont see it.

im wondering can i have 2 maps of the same country, Diferent companies ?
war offline

Postby PiEtU » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:04 pm

you cant see maps same time....
go garmin tools - manage my data - map sets and look what maps is installed
PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby apgreencardr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 pm

I replaced gmapsupp.img with gmapprom.img in my garmin directory on my Oregon 400i and it worked perfectly; however, it did not work on my GPSMap 60Cx. I reinstalled my older Gmapsup.img and it is working again. If I rename the newer version from gmapprom.img to gmapsup.img, will it make a difference?
apgreencardr offline

Postby PiEtU » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm

apgreencardr wrote:I replaced gmapsupp.img with gmapprom.img in my garmin directory on my Oregon 400i and it worked perfectly; however, it did not work on my GPSMap 60Cx. I reinstalled my older Gmapsup.img and it is working again. If I rename the newer version from gmapprom.img to gmapsup.img, will it make a difference?

Yes, you can use GMAPSUPP.IMG also there is no difference with file names..map details not change
some devices can use GMAPPROM1.IMG also...
PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby apgreencardr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 pm

It seems there is a difference in the file name for the GPSMap 60Cx. I just finished copying the newest city navigator map 2011.30 to my gps and then renamed it from gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img. Now I can see the streets wheras before I did not. Please note that I did not have to rename the file for my Oregon 400i.
apgreencardr offline

Postby PiEtU » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:53 pm

apgreencardr wrote:It seems there is a difference in the file name for the GPSMap 60Cx. I just finished copying the newest city navigator map 2011.30 to my gps and then renamed it from gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img. Now I can see the streets wheras before I did not. Please note that I did not have to rename the file for my Oregon 400i.

IF you use SD-Card file name is GMAPSUPP.IMG Internal memory can use other names also....
PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby edwin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:47 pm

For what I learned with Oregon 450 & GPSmap60Csx:
- a GPSmap60Csx can work with SD-card's of 16GB, when well formatted (fat32 by other device or card reader), but the only file that this device will see is gmapsupp.img <4GB
- there should be a maps-limitation (number of map segment) around 20## on a GPSmap60Csx.
- Oregon works with any kind of mapnames, eg. spain.img or poland.img. The maps-limitation is higher, I don't kwow exactly, but somewhere around 4000.

If you have a map active (gmapsupp.img alone on the GPSmap60Csx or many maps on the Oregon) and you tresspass the limits, it can happen that some maps disappeared. -> max less maps active.

If you have 2 maps active concerning the same area... I try to disable one of them to have a specific "look" on one active map.

Hope this helps.
edwin offline

Postby apgreencardr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:45 pm

I recall when I installed City Nav on my 60Cx the first time, through Garmin, I had to first install an SD card so that the map would fit. I read the post from PiEtU referencing the SD card so I checked both the 60Cx and the Oregon 400i and confirmed that I indeed had an SD card in the 60Cx but not in the Oregon. With the information from edwin, perhaps it is best if I simply buy a few SD cards and install the individual maps on them to use when traveling outside of the USA. This proceedure should insure the memory limits are better kept in check rather than risking overloading the unit with too much information and discovering it when it is too late, (in the field).
apgreencardr offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin