5 inch with 3D ?   

5 inch with 3D ?

Postby willy647 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:11 am

Hi guys,

Having used Tomtom for many years, I'm now turning to Garmin because TT new models are no fun anymore.
No possiblilty to update maps, poi, bad support, etc etc

I would like to have a 5 inch model but also like to have 3D building/terrain and nulink services.
I could not find any model with these features.
So my question is, can I buy a 5 inch model nulink (like 1695), and then change/add the necessary files for 3D to it ?

Thanks for your thoughts.
willy647 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Unfortunately there is no device, that combines nulink, 5" display and 3D buildings and there is also no known way to add the 3D-building feature to a device which not has this funktion from home. But according to my opinion the 3D buildings are one of the easiest dispensable features - it looks nice but there is no really practical use.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby willy647 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:11 pm

That's a shame. I hoped it would be like on a Tomtom device.
Put the right OS on it (tomtom calls it 'navcore') and you will get all the features.
Surely it must be the same with Garmin, don't tell me it is hardware coded depending on the device!
willy647 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:59 pm

It's a bit different from TomTom. The OS is in an inaccessible area of the device and can only be manipulated by firmware update files (.gcd or .rgn files). I won't say it is impossible, but it seems to be very difficult to find out how the .gcd or .rgn file must look to manipulate this or that function. For the first time with garmin no long time ago it succeeded on nuvi 1XXX series devices to activate some functions of the better equipped devices of this series. But neither 1XXX nor 2XXX device has 3D buildings, so that this feature can never be activated on such an device. Also I didn't hear something similar about other series yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby willy647 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Okay, I get the picture.
Thanks for sharing your expertise, much appriciated.
willy647 offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin