How do I use a "mapsource" file   

How do I use a "mapsource" file

Postby merlin666 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 am

I downloaded the "Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT 2014.20 - gmap - unlocked" which was supposed to have a msi installer but can not find the installer in the package. None of the files can be opened with the mapsource program. How can I use this package?
merlin666 offline

Postby Confused » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:11 pm

merlin666 wrote:I downloaded the "Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT 2014.20 - gmap - unlocked" which was supposed to have a msi installer but can not find the installer in the package. None of the files can be opened with the mapsource program. How can I use this package?

You simply place the .gmap folder (or a link/shortcut to the .gmap folder) in the correct folder on your PC and mapsource will find and use it. Where it goes depends on which windows operating system you are using.
(in XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps)

(in Vista, Windows 7 - C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Maps)

It will also work if you create a folder named "Maps" in the same folder where "Mapsource.exe" is found on your system and copy the .gmap folder OR a link to the .gmap folder into that "Maps" folder. This works with Mapsource 6.16.3 but may not work with older versions (I don't know how far back in versions it works).
Confused offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 pm

1. MapSource is not recommended program for todays maps since it is not further developed for many years. Better to use BaseCamp/MapInstall.
  2. In tutorials section you find this Tutorial: How To Install GMAP Folder To Mapsource, BaseCamp and MapInstall, which already answered your question.
  3. You must look carefully, this version contains the MSI-installer CNEUNT2014_20Update.msi definitely!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby merlin666 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks, I got this version (which at least downloaded a bit faster):

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?13978-City-Navigator-Europe-NT-2014-20&p=115073#post115073
merlin666 offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin