How to run TrakMaps Marine 9.0.0.gmap on mapsource.Help plea   

How to run TrakMaps Marine 9.0.0.gmap on mapsource.Help plea

Postby mitko1994 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:13 am

Hello Everyone,

it's my first post and I'm a complete noob at getting maps.In fact I don't have a garmin gps yet but I would like to preview some of the maps i can put on it before I buy one.I downloaded the TrakMaps Marine 9.0 and I tried to follow the tuts but I couldn't get my map to show on mapsource. I tried running map reverse converter and gmaptool and all these things but I don't which one is for what?So how can I view the maps on mapsource. It would be good if someone can explain what each program/tool is for,and better yet how to view the map.

Thanks
mitko1994 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:58 am

You need no tool - simply copy the gmap folder into the right path! For Windows 7/8 it is
Code: Select all
C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps
Note: C:\ProgramData is an hidden System folder.
If the folder is in right path, the map will be shown in all related programs: MapSource, BaseCamp, HomePort, MapInstall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mitko1994 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 pm

I have windows xp and I don't see ProgramData as a hidden folder.I have these locations: C:\Garmin and also C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps. In the second directory i have the gmap folder in the Maps folder but I don't have a mapsource.exe there.

I tried copying the mapsource.exe around a few times but still no effect.When I run mapsource under the maps section on the left, I have nothing showing there.
mitko1994 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:47 pm

1. What are you doing with mapsource.exe? Let mapsource where it is - this has to do nothing with the maps path!
  2. Which MapSource version do you have? Older versions can't show maps in gmap format. Last version was 6.16.3.
  3. MapSource is an outdated program - you'd better use BaseCamp or HomePort!
  4. For Windows XP the possible map paths are:
    %APPDATA%\GARMIN\Maps\
    or
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps\
    That means your path
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps\
    is right for the *.gmap folder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about Garmin